Farangs & Tuk-tuk's

TLloyd

:D

Why is it that I never see a farang driving a Tuk-Tuk. I don't know much about them, so I am sure I will be soon enlightened. On the surface, it appears they would be cheap, around town transportation for 1,2 or 3 folks (better than a motorcy & cheaper to buy & operate than a car?) Am I all wet? Me thinks I will soon find the answer to my query.... :o

There is a few farang driving tuk tuks, a few here in Pattaya, not as many as there was a few years back tho, Ive driven one myself, not as much fun to drive as you think, lot's of gear changing, I know a farang who was trying to sell one if your interested, needs some work as it hassent been used in a longtime !

Not interested at the moment, but it seems like a reasonable compromise between the cost of a motorcycle & a car, especially for around town driving. Safer than a motorcycle I would guess.

Edited by TLloyd

there is a fresh thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=101458&hl=

some farang sells it for 40 000 - but it might be oldie

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/viewtopic.php?t=2338

"insurance is only 400bt a year

no registration needed

no license plate required

no international drivers license required

less chance of a car killing you

no motorcycle to motorcycle accidents

motorbikes go around you

cheap on gas

you can haul lots of stuff

taxi your friends around

police dont want to stop you "

Yes, I saw that and that prompted me to resurect this thread. I appreciate the insight on tuk-tuks for sale, but my OP was why do we not see more farang driving tuk-tuks? Is there a reason that I am missing? They seem very practical/cost effective to me. Enquiring minds want to know.

even thais don't have them for a private use - at least in Bangkok, and don't remember seeing any of them in Pattaya even as a form of taxi transport.

so maybe they are not that cheap/safe/easy/comfortable to drive comparing to cars. I would imagine you can get a second hand car for some 150k - the cost of a new tuk tuk

Fuels cheap but limited availablity of LPG outside of Bangkok is a problem. Also they are crap at going round corners. Back strain and they are uncomfortable in long distances. The exhaust stinks to high heaven and unless you've got ear plugs driving a long time will give you serious ear ache. You also can't cross-filter through traffic like a bike can.

Transporting stuff is easier on a Tuk-Tuk than a bike and it gives you some protection against the rain and damage. Its a bit of a white elephant in some ways.