Craft beer in shops (not bars), where to find?

heybruce

I realize that imported craft beer is a tough business in Thailand; import taxes are ridiculous and the market (people willing to pay for quality beer) is small.  However I like to splurge on occasion, and my old source has become unreliable.

Where can I find a good selection of craft beer for sell in Chiang Mai?  I know there is a limited (very limited) selection in supermarkets and package stores, but nothing I've found of interest.  The place I used to go to, a small shop on Huay Kaew close to Canal road, had almost no selection a few weeks ago and was closed today at 6:45, they used to stay open into the early evening.  I don't know if they are out of business, going out of business, or changing their business.

Is there anywhere else in Chiang Mai, or has craft beer in stores become a thing of the past?

A certain Thai company has a virtual monopoly, and I doubt they are keen for competition from microbrews, or for that matter, even from people who would like to brew at home.  Basically after drinking German beer or microbrews, all Thai beer is what my dad would refer to as panther piss.  

2 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

What about Beer Lab?  Ya, lived in Fort Collins CO (one of the craft brew meccas in the US) prior to moving to CM a bit over a year ago.  Now I only drink the beers here for the effect.

I go to Beer Lab on occasion.  In times past their draft beer was hit or miss, and I don't like paying 300 baht a pint for hit or miss ale.  They're doing better now, but I don't like the vibe.  Too touristy and hi-so, and I'm not that kind of guy.  However, if I really want a hopped up ale, it is an option.  I just want alternative options.

BTW: Fort Collins CO.  Damn!  I love Thailand, but high country (geographically), incredible microbreweries, mountains and the skiing, hiking, trout fishing, etc, and, finally, high country (alternative definition)....Damn!  My roots here aren't too deep.....

36 minutes ago, connda said:

A certain Thai company has a virtual monopoly, and I doubt they are keen for competition from microbrews, or for that matter, even from people who would like to brew at home.  Basically after drinking German beer or microbrews, all Thai beer is what my dad would refer to as panther piss.  

I think it is two Thai companies, but other than that I am in full agreement.  Breweries with friends in high places don't want competition from good beer, and they are doing a good job of making competition illegal.

I wouldn't go so far as panther piss.  I think beer water is a better description.  However when one is pushing one's limits on spicy Thai food (I do that on occasion), really cold beer water is welcome.

Has anyone tried the Wishbeer delivery service?  It says delivery takes 2 to 7 days, so I assume the beer is shipped from Bangkok.  If it isn't shipped correctly the beer will be ruined, and these are expensive beers.  Also, over 80% of the beers I'm interested in are out of stock, which causes me to wonder about the business.

If anyone has experience, either good or bad, with this company I'd appreciate if you'd share them.  If you are concerned about posting anything negative about a Thia company (understandable) please pm me.

21 hours ago, connda said:

When did they start carrying a selection of craft beers?  I never noticed them before.  

I am not sure when they began. You can see on the link I posted they advertise they have imported craft beers. Personally I have drank an American IPA and another IPA from a different country. 

On 9/30/2017 at 9:49 PM, DrPhibes said:

What about Beer Lab?  Ya, lived in Fort Collins CO (one of the craft brew meccas in the US) prior to moving to CM a bit over a year ago.  Now I only drink the beers here for the effect.

Oops Sorry, not Bars.

Since a few other bars with craft beers have been mentioned, I'll add one I found recently.

Craffity on Moon Muang soi 6 has a few good craft ales on tap, and a good selection of bottled beers in the wall of coolers.  It's a small place, clean and comfortable enough.  I'm not fond of the modern music, but then I'm old.  You pay craft beer prices there, but that's unavoidable.

I don't know how long it will last, it was empty when I was there and it's in backpacker territory; they're not known for splurging on craft beers.  I hope it can hang in there, they had a Deschutes ale on tap that I really liked.

7 hours ago, heybruce said:

Since a few other bars with craft beers have been mentioned, I'll add one I found recently.

Craffity on Moon Muang soi 6 has a few good craft ales on tap, and a good selection of bottled beers in the wall of coolers.  It's a small place, clean and comfortable enough.  I'm not fond of the modern music, but then I'm old.  You pay craft beer prices there, but that's unavoidable.

I don't know how long it will last, it was empty when I was there and it's in backpacker territory; they're not known for splurging on craft beers.  I hope it can hang in there, they had a Deschutes ale on tap that I really liked.

Deschutes is my favorite beer. I visited their microbrew while vacationing in Portland. Great restaurant had steamed clams. Never forget this beer and their brewery.

Has anyone tried the Wishbeer delivery service?  It says delivery takes 2 to 7 days, so I assume the beer is shipped from Bangkok.  If it isn't shipped correctly the beer will be ruined, and these are expensive beers.  Also, over 80% of the beers I'm interested in are out of stock, which causes me to wonder about the business.

If anyone has experience, either good or bad, with this company I'd appreciate if you'd share them.  If you are concerned about posting anything negative about a Thia company (understandable) please pm me.
The beer arrives in a good state. It'll only get ruined if its chilled and allowed to get warm a few times. The first time it'll be chilled in its life will, and should be, when you put it in your fridge.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

22 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

The beer arrives in a good state. It'll only get ruined if its chilled and allowed to get warm a few times. The first time it'll be chilled in its life will, and should be, when you put it in your fridge.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Thanks for the reply.  If they get the beers I'm interested in in stock I'll give them a try.

I will dispute one point; if good beers are allowed to get hot, perhaps by being left in an uncooled cargo truck in the tropical sun, it will be ruined.  That is my primary concern.  There is also an age of beer concern; though if I purchase beer that just arrived I assume it won't be too old.

Thanks for the reply.  If they get the beers I'm interested in in stock I'll give them a try.

I will dispute one point; if good beers are allowed to get hot, perhaps by being left in an uncooled cargo truck in the tropical sun, it will be ruined.  That is my primary concern.  There is also an age of beer concern; though if I purchase beer that just arrived I assume it won't be too old.

I used to import beer from the UK in a standard container and there was never a problem. Most imported beer will also come in a standard container. Pasteurisation, the alcohol and cleaner brewing processes will stop the beer spoiling way beyond the best before date as long as the temp differences are not allowed to go to extremes too quickly.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

18 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I used to import beer from the UK in a standard container and there was never a problem. Most imported beer will also come in a standard container. Pasteurisation, the alcohol and cleaner brewing processes will stop the beer spoiling way beyond the best before date as long as the temp differences are not allowed to go to extremes too quickly.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

Perhaps I used too strong a term when I wrote "ruined".  I like the craft ales with pronounced aromatic hops flavor, as opposed to the bittering hops. A bitter ale can stay drinkable for a long time, but the aromatic hops flavor has a short life expectancy, made much shorter by heat.  That is why I worry that the hopped-up pale ales that I like need to be reasonably fresh and properly shipped and stored.

However, since your experience with Wishbeer has been a good one, I will check and, if they have what I'm interested in in stock, give them a try.

1 hour ago, Shoeless Joe said:

What is "craft" beer please?

Regards,

Joe

"A microbrewery or craft brewery is a brewery that produces small amounts of beer (or sometimes root beer), typically much smaller than large-scale corporate breweries, and is independently owned. Such breweries are generally characterized by their emphasis on quality, flavour and brewing technique."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbrewery

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

"A microbrewery or craft brewery is a brewery that produces small amounts of beer (or sometimes root beer), typically much smaller than large-scale corporate breweries, and is independently owned. Such breweries are generally characterized by their emphasis on quality, flavour and brewing technique."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbrewery

Thank you for the explanation...

Regards,

Joe