Dton Maan ? What And How

jimbabe

My gf is planting about 4 rai of something she calls " dton maan",pparently a type of sweet potatoe with a 2 meter high upper stalk.

I have seen it grown elsewhere and wonder what the cycle is and what the economics of it are. Is it a good idea or one of these thai things done without much planning? We are in Buriram.

My gf is planting about 4 rai of something she calls " dton maan",pparently a type of sweet potatoe with a 2 meter high upper stalk.

I have seen it grown elsewhere and wonder what the cycle is and what the economics of it are. Is it a good idea or one of these thai things done without much planning? We are in Buriram.

The English name is cassava (also known as tapioca). There are sweet varieties and a bitter varieties. Most crops are one of several bitter varieties - the end product is traditionally used in animal feedstuffs (the harvested root is high in starch). My land produces 3-4 metric tons per rai (up to 6, or so, is possible in other regions). The fresh-harvested root currently fetches around 12,030 baht per ton. I have seen it at around 800 baht (about 3 years ago). The crop commanded its best price ever (up to 17,000 baht) 12 months ago. Added value can be obtained by chopping the roots and sun-drying them for sale at a higher price. I can't recall our total costs but I think it is around 1,000-1,500 per rai. The root can be harvested anytime from a few months to two years. I'll be harvesting 24 rai within next two months and intend to plant 60 rai this year.

The English name is cassava (also known as tapioca). There are sweet varieties and a bitter varieties. Most crops are one of several bitter varieties - the end product is traditionally used in animal feedstuffs (the harvested root is high in starch). My land produces 3-4 metric tons per rai (up to 6, or so, is possible in other regions). The fresh-harvested root currently fetches around 12,030 baht per ton. I have seen it at around 800 baht (about 3 years ago). The crop commanded its best price ever (up to 17,000 baht) 12 months ago. Added value can be obtained by chopping the roots and sun-drying them for sale at a higher price. I can't recall our total costs but I think it is around 1,000-1,500 per rai. The root can be harvested anytime from a few months to two years. I'll be harvesting 24 rai within next two months and intend to plant 60 rai this year.

thanks very much khonman, looks like gf knows what shes doing, maybe Ill let her add some more. I think you are not so far from buriram, maybe we can visit and see harvest

thanks very much khonman, looks like gf knows what shes doing, maybe Ill let her add some more. I think you are not so far from buriram, maybe we can visit and see harvest

You're welcome. From Buriram, you are around 6-hours drive from me but are still welcome to visit should you wish! Ah!...sorry Jimbabe...I've just spotted a most unfurtunate typo: the 12,030 baht should read 1,230 baht and the 17,000 baht should read 1,700 baht!!! Sorry!

sorry about name mistake khonwan; dayperson? kun puut oasa thai dai mai chai

No problem. Yes, I speak Thai, but with a Scottish accent!

Intrestingly enough I was just about to write that I think you had an extra zero. Now the question I have is what is the purpose of spending 1000 to 1500 bht/rai to sell at 1200/ 1700 bht per ton but see the answer in the aprox 5 ton per rai so profit is 4500 bht aprox per rai = 125 US per rai mai chai You had me on cloud nine and ready to have gf buy more land untill I typed in cassava prices, thailand and got the price story. One guy even thinks prices need to be lower so ethanol can compete with petrol. I realize its not a bad thai wage but I think Ill keep my day job. Thanks again ; jimbabe

Intrestingly enough I was just about to write that I think you had an extra zero. Now the question I have is what is the purpose of spending 1000 to 1500 bht/rai to sell at 1200/ 1700 bht per ton but see the answer in the aprox 5 ton per rai so profit is 4500 bht aprox per rai = 125 US per rai mai chai You had me on cloud nine and ready to have gf buy more land untill I typed in cassava prices, thailand and got the price story. One guy even thinks prices need to be lower so ethanol can compete with petrol. I realize its not a bad thai wage but I think Ill keep my day job. Thanks again ; jimbabe

Forget farming (in Thailand anyway) if you are going to compare it with western incomes from non-farming work! Still, cassava returns more than a bank and more than the rental value of the land, with very little risk and not too much work (by the owner, at least). I agree though, not a substitute for a real wage! Can't see the price coming down just so it can compete with petrol: it has always primarily been used in foodstuffs.

• 2 weeks later...

Forget farming (in Thailand anyway) if you are going to compare it with western incomes from non-farming work! Still, cassava returns more than a bank and more than the rental value of the land, with very little risk and not too much work (by the owner, at least). I agree though, not a substitute for a real wage! Can't see the price coming down just so it can compete with petrol: it has always primarily been used in foodstuffs.

I know you are right khonman as now it seems the dry weather here in Buriram is killing the dton maan,. I tried to have gf carry water to plants but shes too disheartened or ? Its really just something to do to make her own money; a positive trait. I hope you are doing well with your crop. May it give you much satisfaction.