USD Thai Paypal Account Sending money to GBP...

Hi All

I have a USD denominated Thai Paypal account. Well - it's a Singapore account really, I think they all are! I need to remit funds to the UK on a monthly basis - about $20-30k each month.

Paypal exchange rates have just gotten too pricey. Has anyone had any luck using a 3rd party service transferring USD to GBP? I can see there are plenty out there but the moment I put many of them don't let you select Thailand as a country and others do but the moment you select it, they go selectively deaf.

Any thoughts on how to get this done?

Cheers

Pete

4 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

The money is in Paypal - I am trying to get it out of there. If the money was in a bank, I'd use a bank!

4 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

The money is in Paypal - I am trying to get it out of there. If the money was in a bank, I'd use a bank!

You have a PP account without a link to a bank account?

1 hour ago, does said:

You have a PP account without a link to a bank account?

No - I have a US dollar PP account linked to a Thai bank account.

I want to move funds to UK, US, Middle East. My current options are 

- To transfer it to THB first, get hit with a massive spread on the exchange. Then exchange it back to destination currency

- Send the money via Paypal and just get hit with a massive spread on the exchange rate.

To put this in perspective, the current transaction I want to make. Just to send 13.8k GBP from my USD Paypal account to a Partners GBP Paypal account will cost me approx $1k more than if I sent it via an exchange service. Part of that is in crazy exchange rates and par is a $238 fee.

The ideal situation would be me having a USD bank account - moving USD there and then transferring it using a currency service. Trouble is I don't and my Paypal account is in Thailand. I did see a service by "CurrencyFair" that claimed to be able to take USD from Paypal and then transfer it - but after opening an account with them they told me they didn't support Paypal any more....

17 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

No - I have a US dollar PP account linked to a Thai bank account.

I want to move funds to UK, US, Middle East. My current options are 

- To transfer it to THB first, get hit with a massive spread on the exchange. Then exchange it back to destination currency

- Send the money via Paypal and just get hit with a massive spread on the exchange rate.

To put this in perspective, the current transaction I want to make. Just to send 13.8k GBP from my USD Paypal account to a Partners GBP Paypal account will cost me approx $1k more than if I sent it via an exchange service. Part of that is in crazy exchange rates and par is a $238 fee.

The ideal situation would be me having a USD bank account - moving USD there and then transferring it using a currency service. Trouble is I don't and my Paypal account is in Thailand. I did see a service by "CurrencyFair" that claimed to be able to take USD from Paypal and then transfer it - but after opening an account with them they told me they didn't support Paypal any more....

Some of the Thai banks operate foreign currency accounts, may be worthwhile looking into a USD account with a Thai bank.

Apart from the exchange rate issue, if you convert to THB you may have a problem making international remittances from a Thai bank.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Some of the Thai banks operate foreign currency accounts, may be worthwhile looking into a USD account with a Thai bank.

Apart from the exchange rate issue, if you convert to THB you may have a problem making international remittances from a Thai bank.

Trouble is - when Paypal send money to a country, they insist on converting to local currency.

So even if you sent USD from Thai Paypal to a USD Thai bank account. Paypal will convert it to THB.

3 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

So even if you sent USD from Thai Paypal to a USD Thai bank account. Paypal will convert it to THB.

No they will not.

My PP account is in Euro, but I can receive any currency in the account.

I can keep it in the account and use whenever i need to make a payment in that currency, or transfer to my bank account and et my bank do the exchange.

Edited by janclaes47

18 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Trouble is - when Paypal send money to a country, they insist on converting to local currency.

I don't think that is true. My Paypal is GBP and I paid someone in China in USD, the only conversion was USD to GBP to come out of my bank. There was no Yuan conversion involved.