Business 'walkie-talkies'

simon43

You see many company staff using walkie-talkies to communicate with their colleagues. I don't mean walkie-talkie 'toys', but professional units manufactured by conmpanies such as Icom.

Does anyone know the legal status of using these types of equipments in Thailand. And what sort of range is achieved with them?

I'm interested (I'm a radio amatuer..), because my hotel sits 600 metres from Phuket Airport. I have to go to the airport several times per day. It would be good to have instant communication with my hotel staff re arrival of customers etc.

I've seen these types of units for sale in the electronics shop under Big C. But I don't want to purchase them if the range is not sufficient. (A typical VHF amateur unit would easily have a basic range of several kms (without repeaters and ignoring terrain). Are these 'PMR' units similar in output power?

Thanks

Simon

You see many company staff using walkie-talkies to communicate with their colleagues. I don't mean walkie-talkie 'toys', but professional units manufactured by conmpanies such as Icom.

Does anyone know the legal status of using these types of equipments in Thailand. And what sort of range is achieved with them?

I'm interested (I'm a radio amatuer..), because my hotel sits 600 metres from Phuket Airport. I have to go to the airport several times per day. It would be good to have instant communication with my hotel staff re arrival of customers etc.

I've seen these types of units for sale in the electronics shop under Big C. But I don't want to purchase them if the range is not sufficient. (A typical VHF amateur unit would easily have a basic range of several kms (without repeaters and ignoring terrain). Are these 'PMR' units similar in output power?

Thanks

Simon

They are Orange in colour right?

They are Thai CB units

220mhz from memory .. a simply Icom handheld will cost about THB 6.500 over in Phuket City or cheaper up here in Baan More

Listened on 2m of late - all the Thai Police on 144-146mhz, there is a morning skid on 40m with a few ex W/K on 7.050mhz here in country (maybe this is you I listen too all thee years, must get my HS0 one day)

enjoy

de HS2-never-ever-gotacall

Are there no mobile phone providers in Thailand that provide the "walkie-talkie" service? In the US, there is Nextel. Here's a link to one of their example products (click here). I would inquire with 1-2-Call, DTAC, or Orange if there is a phone device similar to Nextel's. It would be a nice tool to have in Thailand, especially for businesses where employees/bosses are always out of the office.

Are there no mobile phone providers in Thailand that provide the "walkie-talkie" service? In the US, there is Nextel. Here's a link to one of their example products (click here). I would inquire with 1-2-Call, DTAC, or Orange if there is a phone device similar to Nextel's. It would be a nice tool to have in Thailand, especially for businesses where employees/bosses are always out of the office.

Sorry try again, what you are confusing a walkie talkie with is a cell phone GPRS service that all GSM / GPRS operators have here in Thailand but do not all release to the public (we have been using it with our CUG for ages) , and is no way related to the topic above which refers to the Thai Citizen Band two way radio service (real radio not mobile radio telephone cellular services)

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

Over twenty years ago I had a spare Icom radio-transmitter in UK, cost about 250 quid which was used with my fleet of taxis. The range was about 5 miles but the base station had an arial about 20 metres high. Reception works better with line-of-sight and tall building play havoc with reception. I once managed to transmit to the base from a hill on the Yorkshire Moors about 25 miles away on a clear day!

In UK I had to purchase from the Department of Trade a frequency which allowed private transmissions between taxis and the base station. Each radio had to have a 'crystal-chip' installed for the frequency.

Here in Thailand I have no idea of the local regulations, maybe ask a local taxi company how they manage to operate a secure private radio network.

Cheers,

John_Betong (ex-Radio Amateur)

Hi John - I asked in the shop under Big C re these walkie-talkies. The red untis are 2 watt 'licence-free' units, (so presumably CB). The Icom transceivers required a licence.

However, 2 watts at VHF should be fine on simplex. My hotel borders the airport boundary, so it's not far. I have a 12 metre mast and various antennas atop the hotel water tower, (but no amateur transmissions due to the fact that the airport VHF/UHF antennas are about 250 metres away........)

Simon

Hi John - I asked in the shop under Big C re these walkie-talkies. The red untis are 2 watt 'licence-free' units, (so presumably CB). The Icom transceivers required a licence.

However, 2 watts at VHF should be fine on simplex. My hotel borders the airport boundary, so it's not far. I have a 12 metre mast and various antennas atop the hotel water tower, (but no amateur transmissions due to the fact that the airport VHF/UHF antennas are about 250 metres away........)

Simon

I know the red units you speak of & I've also used them successfully over a 'line-of-sight' range of about 8 km. I still prefer Icom & I haven't seen any Yaesu gear here at all.

Also an Amatuer Op myself...was VK3APP many years ago.

Cheers.

Edited by elkangorito

The red units are CB on 220Mhz.

Do not on any account buy or operate a ham 2m rig in Thailand, unless

you have a Thai licence and the rig is also "approved".

The penalties are quite severe. :o

HS0???/G6???

I have a couple of those radio's, HYT brand, they operate on the unlicensed 446 Mhz band (PMR 446)

Output power limited to 0.5 watts on my model, range in the city well over a mile, and over sea I had crystal clear communications well over 10 miles.

I think you can dial in 8 different channels, the frequencies are pretty busy, but it has a nifty digital feature where you can dial in a 2 digit code (CTCSS), and only another handset on the same channel AND with the same 2 digit code dialed in will receive the transmission!

Check here for specs: http://www.maximonsolutions.com/hyttc-1688.htm

Bought in a small radio equipment shop in Naklua/Pattaya and paid around 4000 Baht/piece...

Hi Astral, yes thanks for that info.

I would love to operate on HF here in Phuket. I can get the reciprocal licence ok, but my immediate proximity to the airport is an issue. I'm not too worried about the vhf/uhf antennas just across the road. I am worried about the HF dipole antenna at the same distance which I think is used to receive HF aeronautical transmissions. If I transmit on HF then the airport will have a big problem!!

Simon

Is it true the Ham Radio Club in Thailand is no longer issuing new licenses because they are using any excuse not to work? I hear a **rumor** it's because of the coup, it's not a democratically elected government, so the HAM club is suspending operations until a new government is in place. Sounds like a nice reason for a holiday!

So they no longer provide that service here, and folks don't have a legitimate source of information. What's the deal?

I would love to operate on HF here in Phuket. I can get the reciprocal licence ok, but my immediate proximity to the airport is an issue. I'm not too worried about the vhf/uhf antennas just across the road. I am worried about the HF dipole antenna at the same distance which I think is used to receive HF aeronautical transmissions. If I transmit on HF then the airport will have a big problem!!

Simon

The main HF stuff in the South (HF ACARS, CelCall, TAC beacons etc) is done by AreoThai (on their web site all about it) out of Hat Yai, so apart from the standard LF / HF ADF stuff there is not allot to worry about in Phuket provided you give 10mhz a swerve (as per normal) ..

I using NETTEC IC245H VHF FM Transmitter with an RF power rating from 5 Watts. The units produce by Siam Inter Network Co., Ltd. and has 80 channels. With normal (short flexible) antenna works around 5-6 km and with long telescope antenne above 8 km. The cost was around Baht 6,000 per pcs.This units dont need a license, at the time I bought them, 3 years ago!

Works fine for me. But I'm not a radioamateur!!

May take a look here: http://www.thailandpages.com/customer/elec...r1-8/page2.html but my model isn't listed there but they havin ICOM, YAESU pp as well.

Edited by Reimar

Is it true the Ham Radio Club in Thailand is no longer issuing new licenses because they are using any excuse not to work? I hear a **rumor** it's because of the coup, it's not a democratically elected government, so the HAM club is suspending operations until a new government is in place. Sounds like a nice reason for a holiday!

So they no longer provide that service here, and folks don't have a legitimate source of information. What's the deal?

The Radio Amateur society of Thailand does not issue licences.

This is done by the Post Telegraph Dept of the government.

See this thread for details.

Obtaining reciprocal licences has become much easier over the last few year,

BUT with the national paranoia and the coup, there may well be a delay at the present time.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I am staying in the Pattaya area. Does anybody knows a shop here which is selling VHF Ham Radio transceivers (Icom, Yaesu...)?

I have a HS0 license, never used it. What is deal about registration? I thought that only imported rigs should be registered. Is this then also valid for domestically bought radios?

I just need a small mobile tx/rx for my truck and maybe a 5 W handheld.

Thanks

Moo9

Hello :o

I have a couple of 2m "Walkie Talkies" which are cheap chinese-made ones that i bought across the border in Ban Laem/Cambodia. They have an extended frequency range that goes from 130 to 170 MHz.

I asume i do need a HAM's license for those, same as in my home country? I don't have such license but i didn't use the devices either, for sending that is - but i listen in to HAM traffic on them :D Reason i got them was because they were sold to me as "CB", seems in Cambodia they DO use that frequency band as CB (every little shop there has one of those and they use them to chat with another). Only upon reading the description on the bus back home i found that they are actually 2m HAM devices.

I do also have my old 11m handheld, albeit a 400 channel one with AM/FM/USB/LSB which, in Germany, was sold as an "export" model. Export it i did :D I used to be a 11m/freeband DXer from Germany but here the band is dead - i catch ocassionally freeband traffic but not in the usual USB, here they seem to prefer AM, which is weird.

What's the tally on that "real CB" here in LOS? I found some kind of old regulation a couple of years ago which mentioned the regular 40 channels "with 0.5 Watts" being license- and registration free, however it didn't specify which modulation, or which antenna type is permitted etc. I am currently "employing" a home made bazooka-type of antenna for lack of knowledge on legality - if i can verify it's legal to operate on that band here i'll get a fix mounted halfwave. My unit can be switched in power from 0.5, 2 and 4 Watts AM/FM, 0.5, 3 and 6 Watts USB/LSB (the type is Dragon 201 SS).

I apreciate any information on this issue, also, if there is any 11m equipment available here?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Hello :o

I have a couple of 2m "Walkie Talkies" which are cheap chinese-made ones that i bought across the border in Ban Laem/Cambodia. They have an extended frequency range that goes from 130 to 170 MHz.

I asume i do need a HAM's license for those, same as in my home country? I don't have such license but i didn't use the devices either, for sending that is - but i listen in to HAM traffic on them :D Reason i got them was because they were sold to me as "CB", seems in Cambodia they DO use that frequency band as CB (every little shop there has one of those and they use them to chat with another). Only upon reading the description on the bus back home i found that they are actually 2m HAM devices.

I do also have my old 11m handheld, albeit a 400 channel one with AM/FM/USB/LSB which, in Germany, was sold as an "export" model. Export it i did :D I used to be a 11m/freeband DXer from Germany but here the band is dead - i catch ocassionally freeband traffic but not in the usual USB, here they seem to prefer AM, which is weird.

What's the tally on that "real CB" here in LOS? I found some kind of old regulation a couple of years ago which mentioned the regular 40 channels "with 0.5 Watts" being license- and registration free, however it didn't specify which modulation, or which antenna type is permitted etc. I am currently "employing" a home made bazooka-type of antenna for lack of knowledge on legality - if i can verify it's legal to operate on that band here i'll get a fix mounted halfwave. My unit can be switched in power from 0.5, 2 and 4 Watts AM/FM, 0.5, 3 and 6 Watts USB/LSB (the type is Dragon 201 SS).

I apreciate any information on this issue, also, if there is any 11m equipment available here?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

I assume 11 m is not legal here. There is a CB Band on 245 MHz, those handhelds are all of red color. Those are FM transceivers with about 5 W output. I would be careful to operate any illegal communication equipment in Thailand. You would not only risk to lose your equipment but also some more severe consequences.

Regards

Moo9

Re the harsh rules in Thailand regarding 'unapproved' radio equipment.

I didn't become aware of the rules until I showed my Icom 706 MKII G to an amateur in Phuket, and he had a look of horror on his face!

Apparently I should have registered the rig immediately, and turned it over to the powers that be for approval.

I thought this a bad idea, as the rig has been modded to cover 0-200Mhz + 400-470Mhz TX/RX right thru!

As I was coming to Cambodia, I kept my mouth shut and managed to get it here with no probs.

Operating in Cambodia is incredibly easy, but you have to find space on 40 metres because they use it here for lottery results!

I have also operated 'free band' 27mhz SSB (sideband) into Australia/Korea, and heard numerous morning 27Mhz traffic from Thailand most mornings before work.

It reminds me of the old DX27 days in the UK, with an American guy living here in Cambodia being a regular contact on AM channel 10.

Here everyone uses 140-150Mhz as CB (147.000 call channel!), with singing and chatting just like the muppet band in UK!

For PMR use, the FRS/GPRS handsets sell for about $40 a pair here (461/467Mhz), but the range is lousy (couple of Km in town)

Most people use Kenwood/Icom/Yaesu handies on 2m for communication (licencing non existent).

The Thai 245Mhz units are also on sale here for about $35, but the shop owner says they aern't popular in Cambodia.

Look forward to meeting readers on the air (7/14/28/50Mhz) +27.555 Mhz USB when I get time.

Regards XU7???

Sorry try again, what you are confusing a walkie talkie with is a cell phone GPRS service that all GSM / GPRS operators have here in Thailand but do not all release to the public (we have been using it with our CUG for ages) , and is no way related to the topic above which refers to the Thai Citizen Band two way radio service (real radio not mobile radio telephone cellular services)

No he is not confussed he is just saying it is better then walkie takie can talk anywhere in country NY to Seattle push to talk privite networks all construction companies use them and its cheap and clear and privite. And you can dial out to someone if they only have cell and talk to them also. Its a walkie talkie over the network. My son in law talks to people all over the country all day flat rate. Why be concerned with dead spots and range its not an issue, but I am sure they don't have it working here.

Simon

Maybe you can remote the transmitter we used lease lines alot in the past all ya need is a modem that provides keyline and viioce and a modem that can operate a range of presets. Could get real good and operate it from PC via dial up modem both ends any cheap PC would do that.