A Thai Credit Card - I Want One But ....

Okay, I know about the much-reported drawbacks of having a Thai credit card, but I live here, work here, get paid here and I want to get one.

I meet the basic requirements - work permit, six months' banking history, and earn above the qualifying salary, etc, but I have now been told by two different credit card companies that the Bank of Thailand requires all non-Thai credit card applicants to have at least one years' working experience here. This isn't printed in any of the application forms, nor is it on any of the credit card company's websites.

Has anyone else been told this recently (like in the past month), or equally has anyone managed to get one in that time too?

I had the same problems when applying for a credit card here. They always seemed to come up with an excuse not to issue it.

I eventually was able to have a card issued by putting 50,000THB into a "Time Deposit". My credit card now has a 40,000 THB limit. Im not sure if they will ever remove the requirement for the deposit and increase my limit, I doubt it.

Go for American Express here...they are MUCH more willing to issue cards then the Thai banks.

I know several people without formal salaries who have Visa debit cards from Bangkok Bank and other Thai and foreign banks here which double up as ATM cards. You can use them for purchasing anything face to face in Thailand using an electronic machine but they don't work with old fashioned carbon imprint machines. You can't use them over the Internet or via fax or the phone. The banks claim they are valid overseas but I am doubtful and wouldn't want to travel without a foreign issued card. Anyway they are easy to get because there is no credit risk to the bank and you can use them freely in Thailand, avoiding forex costs of a foreign card. Retailers like them too because fees are less than for credit cards.

Arkady,

Thanks for that. I already have a Bangkok Bank Visa Debit card which, as you rightly say, is useful when buying things in Thailand. I am also happy to confirm from personal experience in December that it works fine in the UK as a simple ATM card.

Sadly, as you also say, that are useless for purchasing things like air tickets over the internet. I know it's all about risk and, as someone in authority in a Thai bank told me this morning, credit cards are hard to get because of the problems they have experienced with foreigners leaving debts behind in the past.

It's understandably from their point of view, but makes it hard for those of us that want any form of credit here.

Arkady,

Thanks for that. I already have a Bangkok Bank Visa Debit card which, as you rightly say, is useful when buying things in Thailand. I am also happy to confirm from personal experience in December that it works fine in the UK as a simple ATM card.

Sadly, as you also say, that are useless for purchasing things like air tickets over the internet. I know it's all about risk and, as someone in authority in a Thai bank told me this morning, credit cards are hard to get because of the problems they have experienced with foreigners leaving debts behind in the past.

It's understandably from their point of view, but makes it hard for those of us that want any form of credit here.

I work with many expats and most of them have the AMEX platinium card. Amex are falling all over themselves to give them away at the moment as long as you meet the 80k per month income requirement. Even if you don't earn that, their stanadard card seems to be quite popular.

As for the bog standard ATM card with visa electron, I bank with UOB and use that for most transactions. And I get Thai frequent flier miles to boot. I was recently overseas, and the UOB visa electron worked well anytime I needed to pay for anything at a store. You simply treat it as a credit card when undertaking electronic purchases overseas when the store person swipes it and it works fine.

Even if a farang meets all the criteria for getting a card, it is still up to the discretion of the individual bank whether or not to issue one to an applicant, exactly the same as it is in our home countries. The banks (or - let's be frank - the individual processing the application) will use his or her judgement / whim / prejudice etc to make a decision. That applies to locals as well as farang.

No disrespect to the OP, but the risk of banks issuing credit to farangs is much greater than to locals - we, after all, can skip the country at a moment's notice, leaving a legacy of debt behind.

Here's a tip. Put on a suit and go into a bank with all the paperwork. Sadly, it might work.

UOB just gave me a pair of new shiny black platinum cards without me even asking for it. Includes a bunch of nice things like personal concierge, 24 hours towing and emergency service for the car etc etc. I'd say try UOB.

Avoid BBL, they will waste your time, keep asking for more supporting documentation but will in the end not issue a card.

Lingling - yes, I agree about Bangkok Bank. Although I have my basic account with them, the only form of 'credit' card they were able to offer is one that is secured by a deposit - much like that which others members of the forum have and has been mentioned elsewhere.

They would offer me a 'proper' credit card IF my employer would write a legally binding letter stating they would be responsible for any debts should I fail to pay them. No employer would do that for any of their employees, whether they are Thai or farang or anywhere in the world.

They would offer me a 'proper' credit card IF my employer would write a legally binding letter stating they would be responsible for any debts should I fail to pay them. No employer would do that for any of their employees, whether they are Thai or farang or anywhere in the world.

Strange to say the least. The HR department where I work produces a standard letter stating salary and length of service to the bank, which are used for credit card applications all the time. For both Thai and Farang.

You sure that there wasn't some mistranslation there, and they just wanted a employers letter stating your salary?

Strange to say the least. The HR department where I work produces a standard letter stating salary and length of service to the bank, which are used for credit card applications all the time. For both Thai and Farang.

You sure that there wasn't some mistranslation there, and they just wanted a employers letter stating your salary?

Samran - no, I already had thst standard confirmation of salary letter. I double-checked, and my Thai girlfriend also checked and that was exactly what they wanted - my employer to guarantee any debts if I left. Strange, as you said.