No More Police 'Extortion' Checkpoints, New Chief Vows

snoop1130

No More Police 'Extortion' Checkpoints, New Chief Vows

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

Policefilephotochanasongkram-696x464.jpg

A Nov. 5, 2012 file photo of a policeman in Bangkok. Image: Rob Taylor / Flickr

BANGKOK — It’s an experience familiar to most motorists: cruising down the road with the tunes turned up when traffic suddenly slows and a policeman jumps out.

Sometimes it’s for an illegal lane change; sometimes it’s for some kind of safety check. Sometimes it seems just to wave a flashlight in people’s faces. Whatever the pretense, they often end with being asked for a couple 100 baht notes to continue on one’s way.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/10/04/no-police-extortion-checkpoints-new-chief-vows/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-10-4

However annoying they may be, unless something has actually been done wrong, I've NEVER been asked to pay money just for driving past a police checkpoint. I think if that were the standard order of things here, drivers would have made short work of these checkpoints by now.

Cambodia is a different story though...

11 hours ago, jimster said:

However annoying they may be, unless something has actually been done wrong, I've NEVER been asked to pay money just for driving past a police checkpoint. I think if that were the standard order of things here, drivers would have made short work of these checkpoints by now.

Yes well there is usually some trumped up  charge and is easier to pay a few baht than get hassled to visit the police station. 

9 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Yes well there is usually some trumped up  charge and is easier to pay a few baht than get hassled to visit the police station. 

I recall when driving in a southern west coast island I was stopped and when I asked what the problem was he was very honest

"I am hungry for whiskey but 'mai mi satang'"

I parted with B200 and then drove off

So senior police finally admit to extorting the public, thats a step in the right direction.  I was pulled over once in the motorcycle fee collection facility(checkpoint) whilst riding a brand new one week old scooter.  Everything in order, helmet, license and no real infringement except "you not in left lane"  Being new at the game I opted to pay at Thong Lo police station and my wife noted that the ticket was for "something missing on bike".

13 hours ago, jimster said:

About 3 years ago we were travelling from up here North to Hua-Hin and my TW asked before we got out of the gate for 200 B for the police. At lunch time we were stopped at a check point just as a lady was delivering a rake of food tins on her scooter. Guess who paid for their lunch ?

I went on a motorcycle to Pattaya with the thought of living there.
The first day on beach road the police stop me and for no reason

gave me 500b. fine.
With all the hundreds of cheackpoints when I was stopped in Thailand

only in pattaya I got fine without any reason.
I paid and sat down on the beach stairs.
And there a 60-year-old prostitute whose collecting money for

a bottle of water for a young farang robbed of everything.

I thought ...what a psycho-town ...and came back to Phuket.

Where the police at least pretend ...

In Dominican Republic you NEVER drive with your license, you carry a copy. If you have the actual license, the cops will take it from you for, say, driving a car that was too dirty. It costs about $75 U.S. to get it back, and you don't go to the local police station, you have to make a visit to the local mafia bosses home.