Immigration house visit

Just had a call ( to my gf's phone )from Ayutthaya Immigration  asking about me, do I stay with her ?, what is our relationship ?, and telling her that they will visit !! She asked what time as we might not be at home and they said " okay, not a problem, we will come and take photos of the house "

I think this stems from my TM30, where I stated she is landlord and friend.

I have just moved province, am in a house ( gf's name ) and on an O-A  ( entry before 17/10/2017 ) got re-entry permit on Monday.

Is this normal, not heard of any house visits from Immigration before ?

Well, they just showed up, two of them, asked me to stand in the gateway with the gf and one IO while the other took a photo. 

Didn't even set foot in the house ( or garden ).

Asked me my nationality then left saying they would come back another time.

Strange, but painless !

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well, they just showed up, two of them, asked me to stand in the gateway with the gf and one IO while the other took a photo. 

Strange, but painless !

What are they coming another time for? Did you ask for IDs? 

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Is this normal, not heard of any house visits from Immigration before ?

Yes it's normal, but it doesn't happen very often. Maybe it's because you're on a long term visa/permit and they wanted to check you out as you haven't been processed through their office.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes it's normal, but it doesn't happen very often. Maybe it's because you're on a long term visa/permit and they wanted to check you out as you haven't been processed through their office.

Taking a photo is probably the beginning of the checking and processing. 

56 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I think it depends on the province. I've lived in Bangkok a long time and have never heard of it happening here. But I've seen posts about it happening in various other provinces.

• Like 1

A inflammatory post and the expected replies to it have been removed.

Edit: And now a comment on moderation.

Posts removed under these forum rules.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Strange, but painless !

Not A Problem Mate, Had them visit a few times...

• Like 1

In Kap Choeng area they did a blanket 'home visit' about 2 years ago. Everyone on their books got a home visit. 2 witness who know you to be in attendance. No photo's taken and they never set foot in the house but preferred to sit outside. They said they were trying to catch illegal workers. Do I look Cambodian or Lao?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

I've been here in Ayutthaya 2 months, have done 2 x TM30,  1 x 90 day report and got a re-entry permit, am on an O-A that is expiring in a couple of weeks hence the re-entry permit.

Didn't have a house visit the 18 months I was in Pathum Thani.

So, I was wondering what is their criteria for doing a house visit or is it common to Ayutthaya IO ?

It's as normal as normal get.  Smile.  Be friendly.  They'll go away soon enough, especially if you have multiple dogs protecting their territory.

"Would you like to come in for some tea?"

'Mai bpen rai. Mai bpen rai!'  
I love my dogs! :thumbsup:

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

They did a sweep through the town where i live about 18 months back- cold called all over the place. The apartments where I live they had 3 people on the list who were no longer there so I'm not sure what would have happened to them (Russian) if they ever found them.

I had no issue with them- invited them up to the apartment from the office but they were quite happy that I was on their list and  actually there. It was just coincidence I was near the office when they visited otherwise I would not have even known.

My attitude is that as long as someone is not doing anything wrong why should they have a problem with a visit?.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sinbin said:

In Kap Choeng area they did a blanket 'home visit' about 2 years ago. Everyone on their books got a home visit. 2 witness who know you to be in attendance. No photo's taken and they never set foot in the house but preferred to sit outside. They said they were trying to catch illegal workers. Do I look Cambodian or Lao?

More like Groucho Marx..... just joking

Edited by tryasimight
  • Like 1

They did a sweep through the town where i live about 18 months back- cold called all over the place. The apartments where I live they had 3 people on the list who were no longer there so I'm not sure what would have happened to them (Russian) if they ever found them.

I had no issue with them- invited them up to the apartment from the office but they were quite happy that I was on their list and  actually there. It was just coincidence I was near the office when they visited otherwise I would not have even known.

My attitude is that as long as someone is not doing anything wrong why should they have a problem with a visit?.

I agree with you, I don’t have a problem with the visit was just curious to know what criteria they use, the 2 IO’s were very pleasant.

From the replies so far it would seem that it’s not uncommon but does vary from immigration to immigration.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just more "make work" projects to keep it looking like someone is doing their job. I was a bit upset about the information forms required by IO in Jomtien until I watched the officer shred one of them. This is nothing but busy work for people who do not have much of a work ethic.

On 10/5/2017 at 1:07 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Strange, but painless !

We just had to submit pictures of me, the 2 kids and wife standing outside our house with the house numbers clearly visible .... silly non sense really.  

• Like 1