Thai Government Agree To Sanction Iran

george

Thai government agree to sanction Iran

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet agree on Tuesday to sanction Iran in accordance with UN Security Council's decision to sanction the country over its uranium enrichment and reprocessing activities.

The UN Security Council has unanimously agreed to impose sanction on Iran after the Islamic republic rejected calls for a suspension of its uranium enrichment and reprocessing activities.

The decision was made during the cabinet's weekly meeting on Tuesday.

The UN decided that Iran should suspend all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities, including research and development; and work on all heavy-water related projects, including the construction of a research reactor moderated by heavy water, as verified by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

-- The Nation 2007-01-09

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The present shah(the meaning as the last family to hold such a title in persia, whether or not the rightfull heir) and his website quote thailand as the 3rd largest place for which the iranian mullars invest their loot along with dubai and goa.

interesting that thailand was so slow in using these sanctions!!!!!!!

Edited by brazil

Iran is made into a scapegoat by the US, just like Iraq was a only a few years ago. They have the rights to develop nuclear power as any other coutnry on Earth, inlcuding Thailand, and if they want to keep the US at bay, they'd better develop a bomb, too.

India and Pakistan got their bombs and no one said a thing, top Pakistani scientist was caught selling techonolgy on a black market and no one said a thing.

Iranians are not going to accept a different set of laws for themselves.

Why should Thailand get involved at all? Better to keep low profile and don't make any enemies.

Iran is made into a scapegoat by the US, just like Iraq was a only a few years ago. They have the rights to develop nuclear power as any other coutnry on Earth, inlcuding Thailand, and if they want to keep the US at bay, they'd better develop a bomb, too.

India and Pakistan got their bombs and no one said a thing, top Pakistani scientist was caught selling techonolgy on a black market and no one said a thing.

Why should Thailand get involved at all? Better to keep low profile and don't make any enemies.

###### straight!

Lets hope that Thailand never develop a nuclear weapon though! It's right up there on the list with uncontrollable events that could bring catastrophe to humanity, global warming, avian flu, asteroid impact, economic collapse, Thailand develops nuclear weapon, now there's a worthy cause for global sanctions, shit I shouldn't even think about it, it's just too ###### scary.

Edited by Robski

Great post. Couldn't agree with it more. Israel possesses a nuclear bomb so... why can't Iran developn nuclear energy???

The UN should impose sanctions against the US for offending Arabs by operating their 'war machine' on Arab land and not the other way around!

And why is Thailand getting involved anyway???

The issue for countries is not whether others do or don't or location...UN (not only US) policy is in trying to prevent NEW countries from developing capabilities as they've realized the mistake of letting others go that route. Of course there are more sinister reasons at work as well...but the fact remains that the policy is in place to try and limit new folks from entering the game

Paul

Iran is made into a scapegoat by the US, just like Iraq was a only a few years ago.

Whilst the US may be the most vocal, the whole of the security council voted unanimously in favour of these sanctions. That includes Russia and China, countries that have had long reputations of voting against (or abstaining in China's case) the US on these types of resolutions. The 15 members of the Security council who voted for nuclear sanctions were: Argentina, China, Congo, Denmark, France, Ghana, Greece, Japan, Peru, Qatar, Russian Federation, Slovakia, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United Republic of Tanzania, United States of America. These sanctions are also supported by the vast majority of the world's Nations, bar a few nutters, Hugo Chavez springs to mind, who disagrees with the US on everything just for the sake of it.

They have the rights to develop nuclear power as any other coutnry on Earth, inlcuding Thailand, and if they want to keep the US at bay, they'd better develop a bomb, too.
They don't want the bomb to keep the US at bay, they have already declared they want to wipe Israel off the map.

Which I think everybody would now agree was a mistake. I can't see how the potential of a nuclear war between India and Pakistan could persuade anyone that nuclear proliferation is something the world should continue to turn a blind eye to.

Iran are signatories to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, India, Pakistan, and Israel aren't.

Are you seriously suggesting that Thailand go it alone and not impose sanctions on Iran and by doing so will keep a low profile and not make any enemies? That would be crazy under an elected government, let alone an unelected Military Junta defying an obligatory UN Security Council Resolution and supplying nuclear related technology to the Iranians.

Edited by konangrit

Are you seriously suggesting that Thailand go it alone and not impose sanctions

works with regard to Burma :o

Those aren't UN sanctions. It's only the US and the EU who have imposed sanctions on Myanmar, neither Thailand or any other country is under any obligation to impose sanctions on Myanmar. UN sanctions will never happen, China and probably Russia will always veto any resolution which seeks to impose sanctions, especially when they have so much invested there, and whilst it is mainly a domestic issue within a Sovereign State which isn't a threat to anyone outside of it's borders.

Iran's nuclear program was started by Westinghouse in the early 1970's, and Iran's test reactor is a Westinghouse reactor built and installed by the US.

At the time, every western country was telling Iran that they need nuclear power, whereas now they say Iran doesn't need nuclear power.

As long as the nutter Bush and his poodle Blair lead the so called civilized world, countries like Iran need nuclear weapons to avoid bullying by these idiots.

Ahmadinejad never called for Israel to be wiped off the map, his words were translated incorrectly and then used out of context by western propaganda spinners.

Should Iran roll over and be raped again by these mad men.

The US with the help of the UK overthrew Mossadeq in 1953. Mossadeq was the democratically elected leader of Iran, his crime was that he said "Iranian oil is for the Iranian people" and nationalized the industry.

Why do you think the US hates Chavez?

As for the NPT, every signatory has the right to enrich uranium, that why Iran signed the treaty in the first place.

Iran has been subjected to and agreed to at least 3 intrusive inspection schemes, as to verify it's compliance. The US congress report on Iran's nuclear program was deemed as containing grossly misleading and false intelligence by the IAEA.

And as long as Iran is threatened by Israel and the US with nuclear destruction, do you expect them not to develop their own weapons?

I'm not saying that Thailand should abstain, I'm saying that it should go with the flow, keep low profile, and don't make too much noise, just in case - it's not Thailand's war.

Iranians are being pushed in the corner, five years ago it was probably possible to "talk things out" but not anymore. They don't really have any choice left at the moment, and so are doomed unless there's a major shift in both US and Iranian domestic policies.

Who had ever expected a peaceful outcome of Bush-Ahmadinejad confrontation?

Iran would also like to stop trading it's oil in dollars, who can blame them?

This may be about Iranian ambition, but it has more to do with U.S. hegemony.

A very good point. Saddam Hussein was the first to announce that Iraq will not use US dollars anymore. Iraq was invaded within 6 months of his statement.

Iran has officially replaced the US dollar with the Euro in all foreign transactions.

Iran is also setting up an oil bourse, so it's oil will be sold from Iran and not London and New York, Bush and Blair are really pissed off.

Let's see how long before Iran is attacked.

I wager less than 6 months.

The pressure and propaganda against Iran reflect US worries about it's currency falling out of favor.

You may ask why is this pertinent.

Well the answer is that the US is afraid other countries might follow Iran and the US dollar will suffer.

Edited by pampal

As long as the nutter Bush and his poodle Blair lead the so called civilized world, countries like Iran need nuclear weapons to avoid bullying by these idiots.

And as long as Iran is threatened by Israel and the US with nuclear destruction, do you expect them not to develop their own weapons?

So you think Iran should have nuclear weapons and the UN Security Council (including China and Russia) are wrong to attempt to stop them achieving this? Do you think the world would be a better place to live under this scenario?

Ahmadinejad never called for Israel to be wiped off the map, his words were translated incorrectly and then used out of context by western propaganda spinners.

Fair enough, a correct translation would be helpful.

Konangrit

You are talking way above some of these "american haters" ability to process intelligent thoughts.

Sadam should best be compared to the nice Khmer Rouge.

It is such a loving nation and always has been. No mosque bombings, indescretional throat slitting and

mass executions on a daily basis. I guess all of these because the so sweet Sadam is not there to easy

handed keep all comfy.

Edited by Khun ?

So you think Iran should have nuclear weapons and the UN Security Council (including China and Russia) are wrong to attempt to stop them achieving this? Do you think the world would be a better place to live under this scenario?

Fair enough, a correct translation would be helpful.

I think the world would be a better place without anyone possesing nuclear weapons. But if one country has them, how can you justify to others that they shouldn't have them.

If one country can destroy others with WMD, why shouldn't other countries be able to defend themselves.

The US has used nuclear weapons and has clandestinely supplied Israel with the technology to build them.

Yesterday in the London Times there was an article about US and Israeli plans to use nuclear weapons against Iran.

Why shouldn't Iran be able to defend itself, or at least deter such attacks?

If you are Iranian, definately.

Konangrit

You are talking way above some of these "american haters" ability to process intelligent thoughts.

I think to drag this thread in the direction that you would like is an atempt to kill debate and also an insult to our intelligence.

Edited by Robski

Konangrit

It seems you fancy yourself as intelligent.

"American Hater" you illiterate fool means americans who hate.

Not people who hate America.

The term your feeble brain was searching for was "America Hater"

Now crawl back under the rock from which you came.

Edited by pampal

I'm not saying that Thailand should abstain, I'm saying that it should go with the flow, keep low profile, and don't make too much noise, just in case - it's not Thailand's war.

Agreed, but going with the flow means imposing (very limited) sanctions.

Iranians are being pushed in the corner, five years ago it was probably possible to "talk things out" but not anymore. They don't really have any choice left at the moment, and so are doomed unless there's a major shift in both US and Iranian domestic policies.

Well, Bush recently lost control of the House of Representatives and the Senate to the Democrats, and Ahmadinejad candidates lost heavily to moderates and reformers in the recent Iranian elections, and the clerics with the real power in Iran are said to be opposed to Ahmadinejad's adversarial stance, so I would expect to see at least a subtle shift in foreign policy on both sides.

Agreed, but going with the flow means imposing (very limited) sanctions.

Well, Bush recently lost control of the House of Representatives and the Senate to the Democrats, and Ahmadinejad candidates lost heavily to moderates and reformers in the recent Iranian elections, and the clerics with the real power in Iran are said to be opposed to Ahmadinejad's adversarial stance, so I would expect to see at least a subtle shift in foreign policy on both sides.

Very good points.

As you know, the sanctions imposed on Iran are limited to Iran's nuclear program.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Thailand is currently exporting nuclear related materials, such as raw uranium or nuclear reactors or centrifuges.

A very good point. Saddam Hussein was the first to announce that Iraq will not use US dollars anymore. Iraq was invaded within 6 months of his statement.

Iran has officially replaced the US dollar with the Euro in all foreign transactions.

Iran is also setting up an oil bourse, so it's oil will be sold from Iran and not London and New York, Bush and Blair are really pissed off.

The pressure and propaganda against Iran reflect US worries about it's currency falling out of favor.

Well the answer is that the US is afraid other countries might follow Iran and the US dollar will suffer.

OK, this is just plain conspiracy theory nonsense. The EU has also been pushing heavily to stop Iran enriching weapons grade plutonium. So the US invaded Iraq because because they stopped using US$?

You give 6 months until Iran is attacked? Do you honestly think that whilst trying to extract themselves from an increasingly unpopular war in Iraq that they would then dive head first into another one with Iran? Do you even think that the Democrat controlled Congress would support this even in the extremely unlikely event that many Republicans would?

As you know, the sanctions imposed on Iran are limited to Iran's nuclear program.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Thailand is currently exporting nuclear related materials, such as raw uranium or nuclear reactors or centrifuges.

The sanctions also impose an asset freeze on key individuals and companies. I assume the companies and individuals are somehow related to their nuclear programme, but am not sure.

I'm concerned that Israel(USA) is going to launch a preemptive strike on Iran, which will dobtless be applauded by all contries under pressure to do so by the US.

I would like to see Iran also have nuclear technology both as an energy source and a means of defending itself against attack from other countries.

It would be MAD for Israel and Iran to have a nuclear war, thus perhaps this would provide a peaceful solution in a way similar to the India/Pakistan situation.

I must admit there is something about Israel that leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Iran is also setting up an oil bourse, so it's oil will be sold from Iran and not London and New York, Bush and Blair are really pissed off.

OK, this is just plain conspiracy theory nonsense. The EU has also been pushing heavily to stop Iran enriching weapons grade plutonium. So the US invaded Iraq because because they stopped using US$?

You give 6 months until Iran is attacked? Do you honestly think that whilst trying to extract themselves from an increasingly unpopular war in Iraq that they would then dive head first into another one with Iran? Do you even think that the Democrat controlled Congress would support this even in the extremely unlikely event that many Republicans would?

Iran isn't close to producing weapons grade plutonium. They are still working on enriching uranium to 10%.

It's estimated they will enrich +90% uranium by 2015, the estimate is by the IAEA.

What you call conspiracy theory, others call fact. There is no bigger danger to the US than the collapse of it's petrodollar hegemony. It's economy is dependent on other countries using it's currency as the international currency, so it's not conspiracy theory,it's fact.

Do I think the US will attack Iran in the next 6 months?

Look at his move to increase troop levels, increasing the US warships off Iran's coast, recon flights over Iran border and many others.

Obviously you don't pay much attention to global events.

Al Qaeda was based in Afghanistan and the US attacked Iraq while fighting a limited war in Afghanistan. If they wanted the perpetrator of 9/11, why was the focus on Iraq?

And since when has Bush done things using logic and facts as basis for his actions. Only the US congress has the authority to declare war on other countries. Tell me when the US congress declared war on Iraq, you can't because they never did declare war. Bush said we are persecuting the war on terror, an undeclared war. And that's all it took to invade Iraq, illegal even by US laws.

Because you don't know, don't understand or it differs with your opinion does not make it a conspiracy theory.

I'm sure you've heard of the petro-dollar cycle, I'm sure you've heard of U.S. political hegemony, because they don't feature in the Fox news version of events does not mean they do not exist or have an influence on U.S. led sanctions against Iran.

Iran is surrounded by countries that either have nuclear weapons or are under U.S. 'control'. If I was Iran I'd be a little worried and I'd want to protect myself.

Has Iran invaded the U.S., placed a puppet dictator in charge of the U.S., try to destabilise the U.S. or imposed sanctions on the U.S. ?

The only rogue nation is the U.S.