If I get my 30 days Visa Extension, is it going to affect my future entry to Thailand?

Hello,

I am a US Citizen and I received 30-days Visa-exempt entry. Since I am planning to leave Thailand on late November, (My entry was on Oct.1) I am thinking about extending my entry stamp (visa?)

I have researched on my own, and I know that there are several options (i.e. land-crossing, visiting other countries by air, etc...), but it seems that, extending my visa at the immigration office is the most convenient option for me due to my schedule.

I have three questions here.

1) If I get a visa-extension for 30-days at an immigration office, is it going to affect my ability to enter Thailand in the future? Personally, I worked hard without any holidays for the last 3 years, so I am planning to visit Thailand very often next year - Not for a work, but for my year-off (2018). But if the history of my visa extension at the immigration office brings some difficulties to re-enter Thailand next year, (from USA next year) I would just choose to purchase a flight ticket to the neighbouring countries.

2) I know I can get only one visa-extension, but if I visit Thailand again in the future, can I get a visa-extension again with the new stamp on my passport? 

3) If I do the land-crossing visa run (I've read that I can do 2 land crossings/calendar year) is it going to bring some kind of "suspicion" to the immigration officer at the airport? (I mean, is it going to affect my ability to visit Thailand from USA, in the future?)

On a side note, my current plan for 2018 is, 

1) Leave Thailand -> to the US on Late November/2017

2) The US->Europe->Thailand on Mid-January/2018

3) Thailand -> Cambodia (By air) on Mid-February/2018

4) Cambodia ->Thailand (By air) on Mid-March/2018 

*Stay in Thailand for 2 months (by doing land-crossing/air tickets/visa extension)

5) Thailand -> The US before the end of May

6) USA->Japan->Thailand on Mid-September/2018

*Stay in Thailand for 2 months (by doing land-crossing/air tickets/visa extension)

7) Thaland->USA before the end of November

8) USA->Thailand on March/2019

9) Back to USA on May and Work...

As you see, I'm planning to come to Thailand quite often for the following years, so I am very cautious about doing land-crossing/visa extension...

Thank you for reading my long question!

Re: # 3: 
If you enter With A Tourist Visa at land-borders, this does not add to the count of land-border visa-exempt entries. 

We do not know what seemingly-random criteria the Airport-IOs use to define those they are questioning and/or rejecting entry, but longer-staying seems to be their main worry - though there is no law/rule prohibiting this. 

The good news is, the only land border where you have to worry about entering with a valid Tourist Visa, is Aranyaprathet/Poipet.   All the others follow the laws/rules, so just make sure you have 20K Baht worth of Cash or Travelers Checks to show, plus an address where you intend to stay, and you will be fine.

• Thanks 1

What is wrong with getting a METV from your home country, they getting re-entry permits when you leave and come back - I would guess that would be cheaper in the long run and healthier for you - just think how high the apprehension and stress levels go up every time you go to an immigration border crossing thinking you may be refused entry because you have so many stamps in your passport.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

What is wrong with getting a METV from your home country, they getting re-entry permits when you leave and come back - I would guess that would be cheaper in the long run and healthier for you - just think how high the apprehension and stress levels go up every time you go to an immigration border crossing thinking you may be refused entry because you have so many stamps in your passport.

Immigration can see one's entire in/out history on their computer-screen, regardless of what is shown in a passport.  He should have no apprehension of entering at any land-border, other than Poipet/Aranyaprathet, provided he has a Visa, the funds to show, and knows the Thai address where he will be staying.   Even visa-exempts seem to be easy at land borders, since the 2x/yr rule went into effect (though best saved for emergencies).

If he can jump through the odd-hoops to get an METV (varies by location of application), that will save some time and trouble once here - nearly 9 months worth, if timed properly.  But people entering on these by air have been denied for not having the funds, so having one doesn't seem to make any difference to Airport IOs.  Poipet IOs have told people with METVs that they "must return by air" (don't do it, return via Ban Packard or Ban Laem, instead).  So, the "rouge IO" problem is not circumvented by METVs.  The only advantages are avoiding visa-applications at nearby consulates for awhile, and possibly using up ones "tourist visa quota per-passport" at those consulate(s).

• Thanks 1

Interesting itinerary. Looking closer at the dates and destinations I don't think METV makes sense here. Apart from METV being a bit of a hassle, the 180 days of METV  starts running from the day it was issued. OP could apply for METV only in the U.S, but then he would waste time on METV by being in Europe and Japan. The time spent in Thailand after being in those two destinations would not justify getting an METV. Btw, this site can be helpful to understand more about Thai visas including METV

I think a mix of VEE, SETV(s) and extensions would be totally OK.

It would not seem like you're living in Thailand full time, and if you have 20k baht on you + good story to say about your finances (potentially if asked) you'd be fine. We don't know your full passport story though, but I think you would've mentioned it if you felt it was important.

• Thanks 1