Thailand's goal is to become a 'developed' country within 20 years

webfact

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Raymonddiaz said:

To stop being a third world country, Thailand must STOP having MILITARY COUPS!

so since when has democracy as practised in the west made things better?  Trump, May,  the EU undemocratic morons,  Indian Sub Continent democracy,  I don't see it helping.  Democracy as practised in the west doesn't work here.  The crook who was the last democratically elected PM here and the one before, are  proof of that fact 

4 hours ago, Thian said:

I've seen plenty video's of it.....they all got 500 baht.

Up here near the Mekong it's a fag and a couple of swigs of low khow.

500 baht indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by owl sees all

2 hours ago, dieseldave1951 said:

looks like there won't be a coop in five years this time, this lot will still be there

That would be reason enough for a coup, a coup by a faction of the military to oust the leading military former coup makers has happened before in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

To be developed, let's see the checklist if Thailand can fulfilled all these: -

1. Embrace globalization - Many laws and relations have to be dismantled to allow ease of doing business for foreigners

2. Free market capitalism - Too much government intervention and subsidies

3. Education - Mountain to climb

4. Strict pragmatic policies - lack of competent leaders

5. Corruption and crime minimal - impossible

6. Favourable investment climates - investors hate political instability

7. Steady political climate - oxymoronic when military stage regular coups

Whose check list is that?  Looks like nonsense to me. 

A developed nation is one where industrialization has reached a majority in the tertiary sector, something Thailand has been artificially holding back to save farmers jobs as they have not invested into R&D and so have found no replacement work for them.  A developed nation also has a high HDI score, and Thailand although not in the top does have quite a high score, their long life expectancy, free health care, long years of free education and good GDP ensure this.  The one thing missing for Thailand is industrialization, they need to shift from predominantly primary industry all the way to the service sector, not something imaginable in the near future.

20 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

A developed nation is one where industrialization has reached a majority in the tertiary sector, something Thailand has been artificially holding back to save farmers jobs as they have not invested into R&D and so have found no replacement work for them.  A developed nation also has a high HDI score, and Thailand although not in the top does have quite a high score, their long life expectancy, free health care, long years of free education and good GDP ensure this.  The one thing missing for Thailand is industrialization, they need to shift from predominantly primary industry all the way to the service sector, not something imaginable in the near future.

Impossible without wide ranging cultural, political, economic, social, and legal reforms. Whilst there is an interest in advancing technology and innovation, there is the usual lack of co-ordination in strategic plans and development of meaning tactical actions.

An example. Several years ago an agreement was signed with Germany to help the development of German style technical schools and on the job learning programs to help in the development of manufacturing industry by providing a much bigger competent workforce with the necessary skills. The Germans were ready, willing, able and eager but have been bogged down in the usual Thai bureaucracy and general attitude to change. No one wants to drive change unless there some instant reward for themselves.

so since when has democracy as practised in the west made things better?  Trump, May,  the EU undemocratic morons,  Indian Sub Continent democracy,  I don't see it helping.  Democracy as practised in the west doesn't work here.  The crook who was the last democratically elected PM here and the one before, are  proof of that fact 
EU politicians are crooks and thives too, even on bigger scale like my home grown EU president Donald Tusk who destroyed Poland on Merkels orders every way possible then did a runner to Brussels thanks to her Merkel, just example, western politicians are better protected by laws they issue to protect them etc...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Once again another face saving platitude/cliche/banality to soothe the masses and to pat themselves on their backs. Self-aggrandisement? :whistling:

To you and me - just bulls hit! They've had 600 years and now want more! :post-4641-1156693976:

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Just when I thought you have some clever facts to present, you got to spoil it all by stating something so ridiculous like the government is artificially holding back industrialization to save farmer jobs. You mean to say you can't have both. Japan and S Korea are such examples. You forgot to factor in the thousand of graduates that join the work force each year. So the government hold back industrialization to save the farmer jobs and those coming in to the work force are just collateral damages. See how silly you sound. 

17 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Just when I thought you have some clever facts to present, you got to spoil it all by stating something so ridiculous like the government is artificially holding back industrialization to save farmer jobs. You mean to say you can't have both. Japan and S Korea are such examples. You forgot to factor in the thousand of graduates that join the work force each year. So the government hold back industrialization to save the farmer jobs and those coming in to the work force are just collateral damages. See how silly you sound. 

It may sound ridiculous to someone who does not know but actually they are, they impose massive taxes on farm machinery over a certain capacity to purposely hold farming back to being largely of the smallholding scale, and they publicly announced that this was the reason for the taxation. And if you think it sounds silly then take that one up with the policy makers not me or you will only make yourself sound silly.

6 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

The notion that Thailand will enter the fully-developed countries just can't be taken seriously.  Japan, S. Korea, and Taiwan manufacture and export high-value products that can compete on the international market.  Japan and S. Korea rank fourth and fifth for exports.  Taiwan is fifteenth while Thailand is number twenty-two.  However, the exports of the NE Asian countries are high-value manufactures while Thailand's exports are agriculture.  This is not by accident.  In the Park Chung-hee era S. Korea permitted Japan to build factories there, but insisted on technology transfer enabling the eventual creation of Korean companies manufacturing autos and pianos of sufficient quality to compete on the international market.  After initially following the Japanese examples the Koreans developed their own technology and became global leaders in flat screen tvs and LPG tankers. 

Despite thirty years or so of making hard disk drives and autos for foreign companies there is no Thai company manufacturing and exporting either hard drives or autos.  No foreign companies have set up R&D centers in Thailand as Microsoft and IBM have done in India.  There is no Thai company that international recognition like Samsung or Toyota, nor is there any Thai designed export product with any global recognition.

The Thai development model is to rent out its labor cheaply to foreign companies.  This model has in fact worked very well to bring Thailand to its current level of development, but without high-value exports and technological innovation Thailand will remain stuck in the middle-income trap.  This is true, because the vested interests in Thailand are quite satisfied with the status quo, which is a local economy divided into monopolies and duopolies controlled by Thai interests.  They have not been interested in trying to export into the competitive global market. By far the largest Thai exporter is Charoen Pokphand, a producer of food products.

Thailand, like the other SE Asian countries, but unlike the countries of NE Asia, lacks a military incentive to develop its economy since it has no reason to fear invasion by its neighbors.  The economic leaps achieved by Meiji Japan, the S. Korea of Park Chung-hee, and Taiwan after the Communist Revolution were driven by exactly this motivation.

An excellent synopsis, and if they aspire to emulate Singapore,Korea etc. they should start by looking at the PISA educational achievement tables where Singapore heads all three categories and has done for years. Thailand unfortunately has regressed in this respect. Even if a start was made today it would likely take a generation before even the correct educational infrastructure was in place let alone start to see the results of what it produced. 

Entering the digital/ advanced technology economy doesn't just happen,and won't without the qualified workforce to carry it through. Until then it will simply be agricultural and lower unskilled/semi skilled labour that they have to offer in which area it's nearby competitors are poised not only to catch up but overtake.

9 hours ago, Thian said:

Get tired of that. 

In British English, a billion used to be equivalent to a million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000), while in American English it has always equated to a thousand million (i.e. 1,000,000,000). British English has now adopted the American figure, though, so that a billion equals a thousand million in both varieties of English.

Well i mean a miljard euro for the subs.....you figure out how much that is.

Thanks a trillion times, LOL... 

Not one word in this over-optimistic blah-blah about the eradication of corruption, the development of quality education, nor the instoration of a true 'democracy' worth the name... None of being a priority for the Chinese(Thai) families which are in control of the country's economy, I 'guess'...

5 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

The 30 baht scheme was started under Thaksin, the idea is largely lifted from the UK's NHS so no, it was not his idea, but most people credit the politicians who implement things rather than the foreigners whose ideas they implement.  Thaksin built many schools in rural areas and brought electricity and mains water to thousands of villages.  What on earth would you jump in for if you know nothing about what he achieved?

The 30 Baht scheme concept was developped during the tenure of Chuans DP government, the idea actually started to grow at a time Thaksin was a 'rising star' within ... the DP (his father and an uncle were many years long DP MPs...), under the wings of Chuan ('I groomed a viper in my nest') himself.

The DP wan unable to implement its(!) 30 Baht before the next general election, it lost to the, new, political party founded by the Shins, Thaksin was the figurehead of.

You are right to write it was Thaksin, as PM, who started up that DP scheme, ...but presenting it as being a concept of his own, what many, many people seem to believe.

Edited by bangrak

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Delusional thinking as normal. Thais see Utopia on the horizon and ignore reality continuously. On its present path, Thailand is more likely to be the poor man of the region in 20 years.

Proporganda to brainwash the peasants 

3 minutes ago, bangrak said:

The 30 Baht scheme concept was developped during the tenure of Chuans DP government, the idea actually started to grow at a time Thaksin was a 'rising star' within ... the DP (his father and an uncle were many years long DP MPs...), under the wings of Chuan ('I groomed a viper in my nest') himself.

The DP wan unable to implement its(!) 30 Baht before the next general election, it lost to the, new, political party founded by the Shins, Thaksin was the figurehead of.

You are right to write it was Thaksin, as PM, who started up that DP scheme, ...but presenting it as being a concept of his own, what many, many people seem to believe.

The idea being put out before Thaksin hardly takes anything away from the ones who got it implemented as the concept had already been rolled out across half the world, it is hardly unique to Thailand to have a universal health care system, the 30 baht token payment being a part of many existing systems. 

3 hours ago, Xaos said:

EU politicians are crooks and thives too, even on bigger scale like my home grown EU president Donald Tusk who destroyed Poland on Merkels orders every way possible then did a runner to Brussels thanks to her Merkel, just example, western politicians are better protected by laws they issue to protect them etc...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

A good old expression for it is: a plague on all their houses.