One Way Ticket+tourist Visa

Hi Guys!

I'm trying to know if it can cause some problems to get in the airplane if I'm going in Thailand only with a one way ticket from Canada with a Tourist Visa Double entries!

I'll be using Air Canada from Montreal to Vancouver, Vancouver to Hong Kong, and finally, Thai Airways from Hong Kong to BKK!

There's a lot of reasons why I'm taking only a one way ticket!

After my Tourist Visa of 6 months, I'm gonna be Married to a Thai Lady and will ask for a non-immigrant O visa with multiple entries!

It can be possible that they will give me only One Entry but anyways, it will make 9 months with the possibility to apply for an extension of One year!

The validity of a ticket with Air Canada is One Year so I don't wanna take the chance to loose a return ticket!

So, after these details, is there someone who knows if my trip will be very ok without troubles with the Airlines company?

Thanks Guys!

Sawasdee Krap!

Froggy

Froggy, an easy answer to set your mind apeace. As long as you have a valid visa, the airline will let you on board.

Another question would be why to come first on a tourist visa instead of asking for an non imm O.

Axel!

I've tried to obtain a O visa in Canada but they refused because I'm not Married Yet!

My stay is not about Retirement because I'm just 30yo so it's realy based on Marriage!

The question about the return ticket is that I saw on the Canadian website (http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=290000#8) that a traveller need a return ticket or a continuation ticket to enter Thailand! They didn't mention clearly if it was without a Visa in the passport or not!

Thanks for Your reply Axel!

Froggy

You could have someone buy you an outbound train ticket to Butterworth, Malaysia and send it to you. The only trouble you might have is at the immigration counter at Don Muang airport, but if you have the train ticket in your hand, there is nothing they can say. I have done this and had no problems. You will need the train ticket anyway when you go for your non- imm visa.

Froggy,

Please check with the airline! I booked my ticket through United. When I called and asked about the visa issue I was told my visa must cover my ENTIRE stay in the Kingdom. To verify, I talked to several customer service rep's and each confirmed that I would be denied boarding, if my visa did not cover the entire stay.

I was initially refused boarding on a Thai flight from Sydney to Bangkok as I had left my BA flight tickets from BKK to LHR at my house in Samui. For a while they insisted that I buy an onward ticket from BKK to anywhere outside Thailand, however I asked to speak to the supervisor and showed her the two-month tourist visa I had along with the other visas showing that I come and go frequently from BKK - she was persuaded and let me board but warned me that next time I would be denied. Now I always get a return (ofen they are as cheap as one-way) - it's a real bad start to the trip if you get denied baording at Hong Kong and get delayed. My advice would be as above - buy a train ticket out, get a return, or buy the cheapest flight you can out of thailand within your visa time.

I was initially refused boarding on a Thai flight from Sydney to Bangkok as I had left my BA flight tickets from BKK to LHR at my house in Samui.

that's news to me. I am wondering why airlines bother about whether you have a return ticket out of Thailand. I always thought their business is to fly you into the country. How and when you get out of the country in none of their business. Pardon my ignorance. Please enlighten me.

that's news to me. I am wondering why airlines bother about whether you have a return ticket out of Thailand. I always thought their business is to fly you into the country. How and when you get out of the country in none of their business. Pardon my ignorance. Please enlighten me.

Sure, but don't forget, if somebody is refused by Thai immigration it is the airline who has to fly the passenger back at their own costs and on top of that have to pay a considerable penalty.

This might as well explain why airlines want to see either a visa or a return/onward ticket although this is not specified by Thai immigration for the 40 'privileged nations'.

Hi Guys!

Ok! If I'm buying an Airplane ticket for my return with Thai Airways, can I buy it from Canada or is it possible for my girlfriend to buy it and send it in Canada?

For the return date, as I said before, I'm gonna have a Tourist Visa with Double entries!

What's the appropriate return day for my ticket? After 3 months or 6 months?

Does anyone knows also if with Thai Airways I can cancel my trip and get my money back when I'll be in Thailand?

Thanks again!

Froggy

Don't know about refunds, but Thai are very good about letting you change the dates of tickets. I've changed my return date of my flights both in Bangkok and Sydney and they are always very relaxed about changing the dates and have never charged me, unlike airlines like BA. Maybe you might need your ticket later - just book it and then change the date to as late as you can when you get there.

Re my previous post, it's only Thai that have ever questioned my visa. I have flown with BA (with a return date 6 months after arrival and no visa in my passport) and they did not question me. Better to be safe than sorry though.

Finally,

I think I will buy a ticket to go in Penang from Bangkok!

I'm in Canada and will try to find a good travel agency by the web to get a good price!

So I will enter Thailand and have a ticket to go in Penang 6 months after! My tourist visa is 2 entries so 6 months!

If somebody have any suggestions about the way I''ll enter the Kingdom or a recommended travel agency in Thailand for the tickets to Penang, let me know!

Thanks!

Froggy

Froggy,

I copy you below the present rules as per DELTA (tks 2 Lupburi3)

National CANADA (CA)

Transit HONG KONG (SAR CHINA) (HK)

Destination THAILAND (TH)

ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

HONG KONG (SAR CHINA) (HK)

Visa not required.

Visitor must hold:

- return/onward tickets; and

- all documents required for next destination.

Passenger is exempt from holding onward/return ticket when

in transit to either mainland China (People's Rep.) or Macao

(SAR China) by land or sea.

THAILAND (TH)

Passport required (recommended to be valid 6 months after

period of stay. However, Thai immigration will accept passports

which are only valid for period of intended stay).

Visa not required for a max. stay up to 30 days provided

holding confirmed return/onward ticket. Extension up to 10 days

possible. Fee THB 500.- (1 photo required).

If holding APEC Business Travel Card together with passport:

visa not required.

Entry may be refused if of "hippy" appearance.

For more information see: For details, click here .

Airline staff may travel on standby ticket together with an

airline-identity card.

Visitor must hold all documents for next destination.

If being over 12 years of age visitor must also hold

sufficient funds (e.g. letter of credit, vouchers, MCOs

or well-known credit cards) to cover period of stay (not

applicable if holding re-entry visa).

Non-compliance with the visa regulations will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of passenger;

- fines for the airline of THB 20,000,-;

- overstay fine for passenger of THB 200,- per day.

Timaticweb Version 1.3

11 May 2004

Anyway, you asked one question and got many answers. Dr. Pat _ Pong maks most sense, check with the airline, in this case TG.

What I would do in your case, check-in early, if any problems in Hong Kong, and IF any discussion fail, buy a full paid ticket from the carrier by using a credit card.

Thus you can cancel and get a refund (Fee should be around US$ 20)

In my own experience, TG at HKG usually not even checked my passport, but that's beside the ruling.

If you buy a ticket in Canada, might be more expensive than here, but again, use credit card, buy a fully paid re-fundable, reroutable.

IN BKK lots of travel-agents i.e. on every corner. Check with a few to get the best price.

Otherwise, have a nice trip, good luck for your future and wedding. And tell us what finally happened.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for your support!

I'm gonna describe exactly the way I will use to go in Thailand!

Montreal to Vancouver (Air Canada)

Vancouver to Hong Kong (Air Canada)

Hong Kong to Bangkok (Thai Airways)

After 6 months of stay in Thailand with my Tourist Visa 2 entries, Bangkok to Penang (looking for airplane tickets)

I think that like that I'll be ok! If I'm wrong let me know!

Like Axel said about an onward ticket to get in Hong Kong, I already have it! The one to go in Thailand!

Yesterday my travel agency in Canada called Thai Airways and they mentioned that I need a return ticket My travel agency told me that I need a proof that I will leave Thailand so a ticket to Penang can be ok!

So to be sure, I asked my girlfriend in Thailand to contact Thai Airways to ask about the ticket to Penang if it will give me the access to enter Thailand!

I will contact them also by fax because if the answer is positive, I will keep with me the fax from Thai Airways and show it to Thai Airways staff in case that they cause me some troubles!

For Air Canada, there's no problem to use the airline even if I don't have a return ticket or onward ticket!

I will give news soon about the answer of Thai Airways!

Thanks!

Froggy

For Air Canada, there's no problem to use the airline even if I don't have a return ticket or onward ticket!

I am still confused about the onward ticket to get out of thailand which is required by airlines.

How about, say, I am touching down at Hatyai airport which is near to malaysia border. Do airlines still require me to show onward ticket before boarding? I could conveniently say I am going out of thailand by land which is an hour's journey away from Hatyai to Malaysia-Thai border. Could somebody care to elucidate.

I am very very confused. Please forgive me if I'm asking what seemed to be an obvious question to many seasoned air travellers here.

It's really down to the airline itself. The written rule is that you must show an onward ticket when checking in for a flight to thailand (assuming a tourist visa), however if the thai immigration refuse you entry into the country you get sent back to where you came at the expense of the airline that flew you in. Some airlines take this seriously and check your onward ticket (such as happend to me at Sydney with Thai), others don't seem to care (as with BA in London).

Some it comes down to whether you take the gamble of flying in with a one way ticket or not. Do you feel lucky, as Clint would say.

Personally I don't like to take the chance so I always book an onward or return flight, however this is easy for me as I usually have to go on somewhere within a month or two anyway. I usually book Thai because they are so obliging about changing the dates.

If you can book something in advance as proof at checkin then I would, I'm sure plenty of people here have flown on 1-way tickets with no problems but my tale from Sydney was not something I heard from a freind of a freind, that was my experience. I'm sorry I can't offer you a definite answer - which airline are you using?

Hi!

Now I'm seriously confused about all this rules about return or forward ticket!

I've bought a airplane ticket in Canada! Montreal-Vancouver-Hong Kong-Bangkok

Now with the informations that I need a return ticket or a forward ticket, I'm looking to buy a ticket Bangkok to Penang!

The question is! The Bangkok to Penang flight, can it be a separate ticket from the one I've bought?

I looked at Thaiair.com! They're saying that the ticket should be bought where the journey start!:-)

I'm in Montreal Taba****!:-)

There's no Thai Airways office in Canada to buy tickets!

A real Chineses Puzzle!:-)

They're saying that I can't buy it also at an Airport office!:-)

The only solution I see is to modify my original ticket by addind on it a flight to Penang or a return ticket!

The price for one way ticket from MTL to BKK by where I'm passing cost about 1130$cad and with a return 1850$cad!

I don't know if someone can tell me if there's a way to have a flight ticket to go in Penang from BKK without having to change my original ticket!

What's the rules about the obtention of a ticket for BKK to Penang if I buy it from Canada?

3 days that I'm trying to do this Chinese Puzzle and not finish Yet!

Thanks guys!

Froggy, as far as I understand the ONLY thing you have to show when flying into Thailand is that you have a way of leaving, usually an air ticket. They don't actually care where you go, so long as it's out of Thailand. Therefore you can buy any ticket out of Thailand you want (e.g. a flight to Penang) and just show this if requested when you check in. You DON'T have to prove that you are flying back to where you started.

When I was questioned in Sydney they suggested that I went to one of the airline counters and booked a flight out of Thailand within the visa time - but they didn't care where. Just book the ticket to Penang, leaving within the visa time, and take it (or printed confirmation if it's an e-ticket) when you check in to fly to Thailand. You should be fine. Sounds like you need a break in the LOS - you are getting a bit stressed now!

Simey!:-)

Beleive Me!I need a break for sure!

Anyways!I've booked a ticket BKK to Penang in Montreal!

It's more expansive but I'm seriously tired to play with this Chinese Puzzle!

I was wishing to buy this ticket when I'm gonna be in Hong Kong but I saw on Thaiair.com that the ticket can't be bought at an airport office!:-)

The only way for me was to pay by cash because I don't have and don't want a credit card!

What's making me feel angry is that Thai Airways play a game of authority! I called 2 times this Airline company to verify if they require the return or forward ticket! 2 different answers from them! My girl friend also called twice! Also 2 different answers!

I just can say that never I'm gonna use this Airline in the future!

With Thai immigration, everything's ok to enter the kingdom if You have a visa stamped in your passport and don't have a return or forward ticket!

I'm seriously trying to find a way to contact the president of Thai Airways and ask him the question! Beleive me that if he's saying that I don't need the return or forward ticket that I'll be at their office in Bangkok on the day I will land there!

So that's all I have to say for now about this stupid Airline Company!

Thanks again guys!

Froggy

• 7 months later...
I was initially refused boarding on a Thai flight from Sydney to Bangkok as I had left my BA flight tickets from BKK to LHR at my house in Samui.

Airlines have to be concerned about your visa status as if they bring a passenger to a country who is denied admission they can be fined or maybe are responsible for taking him out of the country again, I believe.

I’ve picked up on a few points in various posts here. I’m by no means a travel agent or expert on visa and ticketing rules, but have considerable travelling experience. These are a few comments I have on the subject.

The main reason airlines check for a return/onwards ticket is they are responsible to get you back out is you are refused entry on arrival. A few years ago Qantas had a run-in with the Singaporeans over this matter and an aircraft was temporarily impounded until the matter was resolved.

Thai Airways are very obliging when it comes to changing flights and dates at the last minute. I’ve had no problems and hold frequent flyer memberships with them and a number of other airlines. It's always worth noting a frequent flyer membership is normally free (enrol online) and gives you extra baggage allowance. That allowance can come in handy even if you don't intend to travel with them again.

There a many ticket pricing codes and the code dictates if a ticket can be changed. The cheaper ones coded, i.e. YEE etc, are economy excursion something and carry a lot of restrictions when it comes to changing flight times and refunds. Other codes relate to the length of ticket validity, travel class etc.

I am regularly asked by airline staff at check-in if I have onwards tickets. When boarding from a country whose citizens are not granted 30 day stamps on arrival, they ask if I need a visa for Thailand.

Having said that, I made a recent trip, Bangkok-Singapore return, on Singapore Airlines. I was not asked by Singapore Airlines if I had a ticket out of Thailand when I checked in for my return leg to Bangkok. I was lucky, as I had left my other tickets in Thailand.

I have regularly travelled in and out of Thailand by road and air as a “tourist” for 20+ years now. The only question I have answered on my intended stay in Thailand is the usual “how long do you intend to stay in Thailand” question on the immigration card. I have never been asked by Thai immigration officers how long I will stay or if I have a return ticket.

If I were travelling to Thailand on a one way ticket, I would state I intended to stay 29 days and will take a train, taxi etc out of Thailand prior to my visa expiring. I would also state I would be purchasing an onwards flight from another country afterwards. Don't forget people regularly change their travel plans after arrival. Just make sure you don't overstay.

I know it is a risk, but if you dress neatly and appear to have the funds you shouldn’t have a problem at check-in. I know I’m mentioning that controversial word “Backpacker” here, but these guys travel all over the world on one way tickets and don’t seem to have a problem.

Sorry I can’t give you a definitive answer to your question and concerns, but I hope my little input will help.

I guess I will have to start packing my bag now, I have a nice 3 day trip to Oz starting this afternoon. Maybe I should change my TV name to Sardine face. :o I hear my flights are chockers.

Cheers

NL

Edited by NarrLing

If you have a visa they will not bother about checking whether you have an onward ticket or not, altough this is a theorietical a requirement.

I flew into Thailand on a tourist visa without an onward ticket twice (with Thai airways). No problems. I even flew into Myanmar without an onward ticket and that was no problems as well.

A basic rule for most visitors

"Visa not required for a touristic stay of max. 30 days if holding confirmed return/onward ticket."

To turn this around, one can say, if you do have a visa for a stay longer than 30 days, you do not need a ticket.

Only problem, this is nowhere written in the rules the check in staff finds in their computers. So, in some rare cases it comes to arguments.

Well, my passport is issued in Bangkok, it says place of residence Bangkok, I have a permit to stay and a re-entry permit. Still have been asked occassionally for my return ticket. My reply, I am on the return - ticket than was accepted.