Ayutthaya braces for northern run-off

snoop1130

Ayutthaya braces for northern run-off

flood-6_12-oct-17.jpg

Authorities in the Central province of Ayutthaya are working against time to reinforce a flood prevention wall by the Chao Phraya River, expecting a large quantity of northern run-off to arrive by Thursday evening (Oct 12).

Soldiers from a Saraburi-based disaster relief company have been deployed to reinforce the flood prevention wall with sandbags, with the aim to increase the height of the wall to 2 metres.

The northern run-off is expected to arrive in the province by Thursday evening due to the Royal Irrigation Department is releasing water through the river at the rate of 2,600 cubic metres per second.

The river running past the Ayutthaya Municipality or Koh Muang is rising quickly, overflowing into low-lying areas.

The water level at Wat Kakatrathirat Worawiharn is about 50 centimetres from the river bank.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ayutthaya-prepare-for-flooding/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-12

The Royal Irrigation  Department, is  releasing water from the Passak dam in Lopburi province ,the water flows into the Passak river which in turn joins the Chao Phraya at Bang Par Inn,so floods Ayutthaya.

The wife was they this morning she said  they have 5 of the 7 dam gates open, , shifting a lot of water  I was at back end of the dam 2 days ago  and the level of water in the dam  has risen a lot over the past 2 weeks, due to flooding in Pechaboon, province,the Passak river flows from  Pechaboon ,in to the Passak dam ,so it is a knock on effect, for some reason the R I D, would rather flood Ayutthaya than holding back the water in the Passak dam and flood  some countryside ,I know that sugar cane farmers would be  annoyed  at loss of  part of the crop , but I would  dare say  the  government would  sub them anyway .

The idea of building the Passak dam was to prevent flooding  in Ayutthaya and to provide farmers with some irrigation water .

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

So what's the current situation? Whatever Ayutthaya gets we get a couple of days later.

In the city on the river, high waters but not alarmingly high, no roads submerged... 

Let's see what the coming days bring..

Edited by jumbo

Just now, jumbo said:

In the city high waters but not alarmingly high, no roads submerged... 

Let's see what the coming days bring..

Cheers, we are about 12km south of Bang Sai, currently about 60cm to go before water reaches the lowest level of the house (downstairs shower) then another 10cm before it gets anywhere important.

Level has been on a generally upward trend but it's not of the flash-flood variety, like 2011 it's more like a slow-motion train-wreck.

We have 100 free sandbags along with the sand to fill them (our address gets flood relief because we are on the wrong side of the flood barrier). Wifey's boys are coming over today to fill the bags but we won't lay them until the water rises about 40cm at which point it's all hands to the pumps.

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Crossy said:

Cheers, we are about 12km south of Bang Sai, currently about 60cm to go before water reaches the lowest level of the house (downstairs shower) then another 10cm before it gets anywhere important.

Level has been on a generally upward trend but it's not of the flash-flood variety, like 2011 it's more like a slow-motion train-wreck.

We have 100 free sandbags along with the sand to fill them (our address gets flood relief because we are on the wrong side of the flood barrier). Wifey's boys are coming over today to fill the bags but we won't lay them until the water rises about 40cm at which point it's all hands to the pumps.

I'm just outside sukhothai and im flooded,the water is higher than 2011 but not as fast. Good luck everyone south of me,its coming 

47 minutes ago, kelboy said:

I'm just outside sukhothai and im flooded,the water is higher than 2011 but not as fast. Good luck everyone south of me,its coming 

Sorry to hear that Kel.

Spoke to Tony no mates yesterday and he told me the Phran Kratai town is under water. ATM's out most of the shops closed.

As luck would have it K.P.Phet as usual doesn't have any problems. 

I do have rooms for rent, glad to say a tad expensive. But you are welcome if needs be.