Anyone using Thai duolingo?

THAIPHUKET

There is no Thai for English speakers. I joined a chat within Duolingo clamouring for the inclusion of Thai. There are several others who  also requested the same thing. Duolingo is a wonderful learning method. I have 'completed' German and French. I am not fluent but I got what we call survival German and French. I know some German and French now and got it for free. There is continuous revision where the site prompts you to revise a few lessons. I must have covered the syllabus minimum five times with the revisions. It is a great thing. The difficulty would be theThai alphabet and the ability to write Thai. The teaching method is based mainly on writing, translating either in English or in the new language. They said that there is not strong demand for Thai and this is why they do not include it. However, the languages offered include KLINGON!!, Esperanto and some Indian dialects and other unheard of languages. Of course all European (most)  and Asian, like Japanese Mandarin Korean Vietnamese, etc are included.

I suggest that by enrollment to a foreign language you will have access to the chat and thus ask for Thai. The more people asking for it might prompt them to include it.  The number of participants for all languages offered totals more than  250 million!! A staggering figure. The thing is totally free.  

On 10/14/2017 at 5:29 PM, THAIPHUKET said:

Interesting, most reviews say it's the best of all

Sent from my Pixel using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Guess it depends on your learning style and objectives. The method gives you sentences to translate so the focus is very much on the written language not conversation. It gradually exposes you to a lot of vocab and quite a bit of grammar (with quite limited explanations).  I felt a lot of the sentences are unnatural and it does not cover many of the things you need for a even a basic conversation.  In addition I am not a good typist and got frustrated with having to re-enter lots of the sentences due to typing errors rather than not knowing the language.