Khao Yai by Car or 4wd ?

kwak250

Just looking at going to Khao yai national park  this weekend and trying to find out if a 4wd pick up would have any advantage over a car.

We wont be camping mainly just looking at any easily accessible highlights and view points/waterfalls.

I have a 2 year old and a 75 year old going so wont be doing any 8km treks .

A car is much more comfortable but my wifes brother has a Ford Ranger 4wd that i use now and again and trying to see if it has any advantages although it being a Ford also worries me but thats a different story.

Thanks

4 wd not really necessary. Tarmac roads everywhere.  You usually park up in the nearest car park and walk the last hundred meters to the falls.  However some falls require a much longer trek and there is no vehicle access.

Mind you....not been for 10 years so might be a McDonalds  deep in the jungle somewhere by now.

5 hours ago, Denim said:

4 wd not really necessary. Tarmac roads everywhere.  You usually park up in the nearest car park and walk the last hundred meters to the falls.  However some falls require a much longer trek and there is no vehicle access.

Mind you....not been for 10 years so might be a McDonalds  deep in the jungle somewhere by now.

I agree with Denim and I was recently visiting Khao Yai and you will be fine with the car.

Khao Yai being subjected to the same rain deluges as elsewhere, whilst still accessible by car there is plenty of standing water around on many of the approach roads. Right now prefer to go out with my big SUV boots on. Not to alarm you  further, but got call from a neighbour this morning who had managed to park his 4x4 in a ditch.  

Made it back in a car great place to visit lots of pick-ups driving around the park but my car was fine if anything much better and cost less to go in.

Great couple of nights around the area and yes its a concrete jungle

The funniest part was seeing a Ford Ranger broken down at the top of one of the hills with rangers trying to start it..i did think that was probably going to be me if i used the ranger.

All good great time.