What's so difficult about cutting Viva Board?

dcnx

I can't find anyone to cut it, not even the local lumber yard that sells it and will cut wood. I've even offered to buy the blade if it's required. 

It's as if I'm asking them to enrich uranium.

What's the deal?

Viva board may be a great material in its finished form, but it is certainly the most difficult material I have ever worked with and I would only use it as a last resort. I have use the 20mm thick panels which makes it so tough going. It's good to clamp a board to run the saw against to keep the blade from wandering. Even then it requires tremendous will to keep the blade flush to the board. The amount of dust that billows out when cutting is beyond belief and requires wearing a respirator. Not only is it difficult to cut, a single panel weighs close to 200 pounds requiring teamwork to move and position. Driving screws is hopeless even with an impact driver. Pilot holes using specialty drill bits is necessary and I have found no ideal way of counter sinking.

But I doubt any of this is why no one will cut it. Just find any builder in your area and I am sure he will do it in a jiffy. Just need a circular saw with diamond blade.

Most likely they won't cut it because once you use the recommended carbide tipped blade to cut it you won't be able to use it to cut wood again.  Here's the recommended processing instructions direct from VIVA.  They say not to use a concrete blade.  http://www.viva.co.th/en/setting_detail.php?Ins_ID=13

Good find wayne. They actually say tungsten carbide--not sure if that is something even more special / available in Thailand. Also they say they have a screw that will drive and counter sink. Nothing anyone has shown me in the hardware stores here can do this however.

11 minutes ago, canopy said:

Good find wayne. They actually say tungsten carbide--not sure if that is something even more special / available in Thailand. Also they say they have a screw that will drive and counter sink. Nothing anyone has shown me in the hardware stores here can do this however.

I have cut quite a lot with an angle grinder and a diamond tipped cutting disc, fairly straightforward. I found that self drilling screws were very difficult to get started. I tried a variety of bits and found that the best by far was a Bosch universal bit. With a small pilot the screws went straight in. If you need to countersink best bet is to make the pilot and then do it by hand with the large bit.

If you are looking for self drilling screws, Thai Watsadu has the best selection that I have come across. On the ones that form a countersink the head is not quite conical, come in a variety of shapes.