May, Juncker call for faster Brexit talks

webfact

May, Juncker call for faster Brexit talks

By Andrew MacAskill and Alastair Macdonald

tag-reuters.jpg

Britain's Prime Minster Theresa May leaves 10 Downing Street in London, Britain, October 11, 2017. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May and European Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker agreed over dinner in Brussels on Monday that the pace of negotiations over Britain's departure from the European Union should be stepped up.

A joint statement described a "constructive and friendly" two-hour meeting, during which they "reviewed the progress made in the Article 50 negotiations so far and agreed that these efforts should accelerate over the months to come".

Announced less than 24 hours before they sat down, accompanied by their chief Brexit negotiators, David Davis and Michel Barnier, and just three days before May returns to Brussels for an EU summit, the meeting was held well away from reporters. Officials offered no immediate detail on the substance beyond the six-sentence communique.

Both sides have been calling for a faster pace of talks as time ticks down to Britain's withdrawal from the EU in March 2019 and businesses warn that without clarity on what happens after that they may start switching investments early next year.

The joint statement gave little else away, making no reference to the mutual blame game in which London and Brussels accuse each other of creating deadlock: May by failing to detail how much she is willing to pay to settle divorce obligations, the EU by sticking rigidly to a refusal to so much as talk about a future trade deal and transition to that until she does so.

Wary that the prime minister, beset by feuds in her cabinet over a softer or harder break with the EU, might try to divide the other 27 states, some EU diplomats voiced concern she met Juncker and Barnier before meeting the other national leaders.

Barnier has, diplomats say, suggested accelerating talks by starting internal EU discussions on a transition period in which Britain would stay in the single market. His idea hit resistance from heavyweights Germany and France, though the 27 now seem set to agree this gesture in an EU statement to be issued on Friday.

A revised text circulated by summit chair Donald Tusk to EU governments on Monday retained wording that offers Britain the chance of talks on a transition to a future relationship almost immediately after the next EU summit in December. But at German and French insistence, it stressed the need for London to meet a series of key demands from the Union, notably on money it owes.

May's spokesman, when asked before the meeting whether she would give more detail on Britain's financial offer, indicated she would not.

That left some wondering what the point was. "It will either be a very expensive dinner, costing about 30 billion euros, or else -- what is this?" one EU diplomat said.

(Additional reporting by Gabriela Baczynska and Robin Emmott in Luxembourg and William James in London; Writing by Alastair Macdonald; Editing by Catherine Evans)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-17

•  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
        3 hours ago, Get Real said:

So, after a little bit of dinner, this deranged woman came up with the idea to hurry. Let´s see what happens after she had dessert. 
        Sadly, It´s voters in an election that let people like this take care of important things.

She is no more deranged than you are.  I suggest you wait to see what the eventual outcome of the discussions are.

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:
    •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  

She is no more deranged than you are.  I suggest you wait to see what the eventual outcome of the discussions are.

Most proable eventual outcome I believe is that she can´t get her arse of the ground before it´s too late. Which means that the happy people of Britain have to stay locked in Brexit for an extra year. Just thanks to this woman that I assume you are trying to state are doing a good work. 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I hope that she was wearing a stab in the back proof vest to that dinner, and that she counted her fingers both before and after shaking hands with Juncker.

Let´s just say like this. EU is still the same. It´s Briatain that want´s to leave and have all the priviliges left but no costs. I guess it´s better that Juncker count´s hes fingers.
    If I were him, I wouldn´t shake hand at all, before she agreed to crawl in some mud to get out. 

They had to break the deadlock for both sides to move forward.  May had to get an agreement to do so because she couldn't afford to end up with no deal.  The real question is just what exactly has she promised to Junker at this dinner?  The UK are on the back foot due in part to their inability to agree on what they want from Brexit and all the chaotic infighting.  I doubt Junker made any actually concessions on behalf of the EU but as sure as eggs is eggs May will have. 

I didn't notice any white stains on May's dress but Junker certainly had a smile on his face!

I suggest that the Brexiteers on TV do not read the OECD report, it won't help you're blood pressure one little bit!  Worry not though, it is highly unlikely that there will be a second referendum. The government have said they are going ahead with Brexit no matter how damaging it is going to be.

Some good news for the ex-pats though.  Inflation is up in the UK (3% in September) and the highest for five years.  It is mainly to do with the fall in sterling and will probably mean an increase in interest rates next month.  That should stabilise the pound.  For the time being anyway.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

Most proable eventual outcome I believe is that she can´t get her arse of the ground before it´s too late. Which means that the happy people of Britain have to stay locked in Brexit for an extra year. Just thanks to this woman that I assume you are trying to state are doing a good work. 

Uh!!

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

I assume EU side wishes to keep the 2 year limit for the negotiations. 

Yet another thread contained with bitterness as the U.K. had the spine to hold a referendum and carry it out despite it being controversial.

The EU had an opportunity to acknowledge reforms were required yet were complacent & thought it was business as usual, I for one hope that more increased frequent talks do result in a positive outcome.

The U.K. leaves in March 2019, the 2 year’s proposed transition is mutually beneficial for both sides, no moaning, snivelling or sniping its what the CBI (its members) requested.

Time to move on & get a grip of the situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

I suggest that the Brexiteers on TV do not read the OECD report, it won't help you're blood pressure one little bit!  Worry not though, it is highly unlikely that there will be a second referendum. The government have said they are going ahead with Brexit no matter how damaging it is going to be.

Some good news for the ex-pats though.  Inflation is up in the UK (3% in September) and the highest for five years.  It is mainly to do with the fall in sterling and will probably mean an increase in interest rates next month.  That should stabilise the pound.  For the time being anyway.

The current uncertainty is causing weakness in the pound.  That uncertainty will not last forever.

There is no point in remainers keep plucking statistics out at this stage; and statistics mainly coming from very pro-EU bodies desperate for the UK to keep subsidising the EU. If you look hard enough you will always find statistics to back up your point of view.

This is a long game.  Let's reserve judgement for 2/3 years after we have left the corrupt, unaudited dictatorship otherwise known as the EU.

Edited by CG1 Blue

13 hours ago, Get Real said:

Let´s just say like this. EU is still the same. It´s Briatain that want´s to leave and have all the priviliges left but no costs. I guess it´s better that Juncker count´s hes fingers.
    If I were him, I wouldn´t shake hand at all, before she agreed to crawl in some mud to get out. 

Oh dear. Another bitter European :coffee1:.

8 hours ago, dunroaming said:

The pound has already stabilised (quite a while ago actually). So the costs of imported goods will stabilise and fall slightly in due course.

Is this the same Paris based think tank that recommended the U.K. join the Euro, and proved wrong.

This very point was highlighted today’s through BBC news coverage of the OECD.

Interest rates are forecast to increase in November, BoE monetary board is aware that only a small increase 1/4 is required, yet households & overseas ex-pats still must prepare.

12 hours ago, dunroaming said:

They had to break the deadlock for both sides to move forward.  May had to get an agreement to do so because she couldn't afford to end up with no deal.  The real question is just what exactly has she promised to Junker at this dinner?  The UK are on the back foot due in part to their inability to agree on what they want from Brexit and all the chaotic infighting.  I doubt Junker made any actually concessions on behalf of the EU but as sure as eggs is eggs May will have. 

I didn't notice any white stains on May's dress but Junker certainly had a smile on his face!

Wow! you can deduce all that from a meeting, the content of which you know nothing about, except that Juncker emerged with a smile on his face? Remember, it was a working dinner, and Juncker always puts his heart and soul into such events. No surprise that he emerged felling happy :burp:. Anyway, could you kindly share the winning Euromillions numbers for this coming Friday?

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

So you think it's much better to be governed by people you didn't vote for, like the EU commission?

Below taken from the European Union website_

Selecting the team

The Presidential candidate selects potential Vice-Presidents and Commissioners based on suggestions from the EU countries. The list of nominees has to be approved by national leaders in the European Council.

Each nominee appears before the European Parliament to explain their vision and answer questions. Parliament then votes on whether to accept the nominees as a team. Finally, they are appointed by the European Council, by a qualified majority.

----------------------------------------------------

After that, my qualified guess would be that by voting for a government in your country, you automatically also make a vote of confidence who they will send to represent it in the European Union. So much for that vote you didn´t make according to you.

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

What in the world makes you think that?

Ohhh.....I don't know.....probably got something to do with all the anti-British garble in the post I quoted. By the way, I wouldn't recommend Juncker to count his fingers after a working dinner: he's bound to get very confused.

Yet another thread contained with bitterness as the U.K. had the spine to hold a referendum and carry it out despite it being controversial.

The EU had an opportunity to acknowledge reforms were required yet were complacent & thought it was business as usual, I for one hope that more increased frequent talks do result in a positive outcome.

The U.K. leaves in March 2019, the 2 year’s proposed transition is mutually beneficial for both sides, no moaning, snivelling or sniping its what the CBI (its members) requested.

Time to move on & get a grip of the situation.

Yeah it's time for the UK to get a grip and figure out what it wants.
    Hopelessly divided nation.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On 10/17/2017 at 1:42 PM, Get Real said:

You can say that if you wish. Others like me have a different opinion.

I respect your opinion but don't necessasarily agree with it.

I hope that you would do the same in return.

14 hours ago, Get Real said:

Below taken from the European Union website_

Selecting the team

The Presidential candidate selects potential Vice-Presidents and Commissioners based on suggestions from the EU countries. The list of nominees has to be approved by national leaders in the European Council.

Each nominee appears before the European Parliament to explain their vision and answer questions. Parliament then votes on whether to accept the nominees as a team. Finally, they are appointed by the European Council, by a qualified majority.

----------------------------------------------------

After that, my qualified guess would be that by voting for a government in your country, you automatically also make a vote of confidence who they will send to represent it in the European Union. So much for that vote you didn´t make according to you.

I prefer voting directly for the people / party who will govern my country, based on a national manifesto.  My vote is not a proxy vote for appointing Juncker and co. with their comfortable jobs and huge pensions, and disgraceful unaudited overspending (e.g. see the following)

"a £130 million travelling circus that once a month sees the European Parliament decamp from Belgium to France.

Over the course of the weekend, some 2,500 plastic trunks will be loaded on to five lorries and driven almost 300 miles from Brussels to Strasbourg.

On Monday, about 1,000 politicians, officials and translators will then make the same journey on two specially chartered trains hired at taxpayers’ expense.

A few thousand more will go to Strasbourg by other means, as the European Parliament switches from Brussels, its permanent base, to its “official” home in northern France"

But if you feel your vote is going to the right people, we can agree to disagree.