Perpetual flooding in Pattaya

soistalker

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no simple answer.  When the water billows up through the storm drains, through inches of 'river'....just dig more drainage and more will billow.  Flooding is a natural cause of, well, us.  We all want new roads, malls, etc....but (b)stitch about the flooding.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:49 AM, maxpower said:

It because of Thailand's location in relation to the earths gravity. Water does no move well here and often wanders off in random directions. Its worse on full moons.

Never heard such an explanation before....could it be the kids jumping up and down on Phangan during the full moon party causing a kind of rippling tsunami amplitude butterfly effect in the gulf, or am I missing something

Edited by torrzent

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:06 AM, champers said:

It's the drainage pipes. Thais only have small ones; in the West they are much bigger. I thought everybody knew that.

Not true. There are really big ones under Beach Rd. When they widened Beach Rd they must have blocked the water access to them, or they are full of 20 years worth of garbage. I doubt they were EVER cleaned.

Time to do something was when they widened the road, but that would have required actual planning in the big office. Would also have cut down on the usual motive for doing anything in Pattaya.

On 10/17/2017 at 11:21 AM, pegman said:

The town is a concete jungle with nowhere for water to be absorbed. So rain is all runoff trying to make it to sea. Why they did not incorporate concrete spillways at the beaches down to sea level was an act of lunacy.

It happened because Pattaya developed slowly over many years and wasn't planned. Think of the problems all major cities experienced a hundred years ago and the huge effort it took to fix everything over decades of public works projects. Rome wasn't built in a day. Pattaya is very young. Apart from the main roads, the rest of Pattaya's roads are nothing more than tracks.

Unfortunately the longer they leave the drainage unfixed, the worse it gets as the city gets bigger. The trouble is that digging up roads to install drains causes so much disruption that flooding is the least disruptive as it doesn't rain all that much here. If you observe the problems they're having on Soi Country Club Road you'll probably settle for occasional flooding as the better option.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

It happened because Pattaya developed slowly over many years and wasn't planned. Think of the problems all major cities experienced a hundred years ago and the huge effort it took to fix everything over decades of public works projects. Rome wasn't built in a day. Pattaya is very young. Apart from the main roads, the rest of Pattaya's roads are nothing more than tracks.

Unfortunately the longer they leave the drainage unfixed, the worse it gets as the city gets bigger. The trouble is that digging up roads to install drains causes so much disruption that flooding is the least disruptive as it doesn't rain all that much here. If you observe the problems they're having on Soi Country Club Road you'll probably settle for occasional flooding as the better option.

Agreed.  But still, lack of planning and corruption are the #1 problems here.  Encroachment, blocking natural waterways, not following building regulations, etc.  All due to corruption.  Make a small payment and you can do what you want.  View Talay 7 is an excellent example.

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Built too close to the sea.  Lawsuits were filed, threats were made, the project continued.  Illegally.

Same thing with the view Talay condominium jomtien( the one across from View Talay 2)? Everytime I pass by, most apartments look empty.

On 10/18/2017 at 10:32 AM, jimn said:

I was one of the many people that said the new tunnel would flood. How wrong were we. It is an excellent addition to to aweful road infrastructure here in Pattaya. Journey times through Pattaya Klang are a fraction of what they were before. Only problem is that traffic can build up into the tunnel when flooding occurs further down at Pattaya Tai and just after the Therapasit Road. If further tunnels are built at those locations as suggested, detailed planning would have to take place. These are black spot flood locations, whereas the location of the new tunnel is in an area where flooding rarely occurs. 

I generally have a positive attitude about Pattaya also. The tunnels they have planned are going to help with traffic immensely.

The Pattaya bypass to the Rayong/U-Tapao area is a masterstroke.

The government is working on the flooding problem. Excellent article craigt3365. It is definitely worth reading.

When they get the flooding fixed here in Pattaya they can help us fix the flooding in the fourth largest city in the USA. Houston, TX.

5 minutes ago, GaryB1263 said:

When they get the flooding fixed here in Pattaya they can help us fix the flooding in the fourth largest city in the USA. Houston, TX.

I moved to Vegas in 1975.  Flooding was a huge problem there.  Cars would float in the parking lot of Caesars Palace. LOL.

They initiated a huge project a few years later and solved the problem.  No more flooding.    Well...they did have one this past year.  But it was a freak storm.  Not an annual event like they have here!

Take a peek at what's happening around the Chao Phraya River basin now.  Massive flooding.  I feel sorry for those under water, having experienced myself here. :sad:

3 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Topic is about flooding in Pattaya not VT 7 please stay on topic, thank you.

Thank you for this, I was just getting ready to give a long reply to post #40 (as it is one big lie)  and vt7 has nothing to do about flooding in Pattaya. 

6 hours ago, tropo said:

WinnieTheKhwai, who has more sense than most, is one of the few who by the time of the Promenade had it right and even half-predicted The Tunnel, such a rich source of fatuous sneers & doomsayin':

I think it dawned on them [City Hall] pretty late that Pattaya was going to be a BIG city. One of the biggest in the country, after Bangkok. . . . Currently Pattaya is probably up there in the top 3 of biggest cities outside of Bangkok. (Subject to what anyone would want to define as being 'Pattaya' . . .) [speaking of tunnels in Chiang Mai] That needs to happen in Pattaya too; all major intersections on Sukhumvit need tunnels and/or flyovers.

WinnieTheKhwai, on 19 Apr 2013 - 06:21

Lack of city planning is hardly unique to Pattaya or Thailand. Reminds me of the old saying that Boston has only two seasons: winter and road construction. Only the TVF Central Planning Bureau has always been in firm possession of the crystal ball. :neus: Suppose the City had started spending a vast amount 25 years ago digging up the streets and putting in huge drainage pipes suitable for a large city. OMG. Think of the reaction in the Mailbag section of the Pattaya Mail! Compare the construction of Third Road: unneeded, useless, and merely a dangerous racetrack. It was predicted never to have any traffic lights at the major intersections, 'cause The Authorities are morons. Pattaya could never even support a shopping mall like CentralFestival 'cause shops in there charged Bangkok prices.

So the lack of planning can't be solely ascribed to "corruption." In fact, when the City does start a belated improvement, then our ace TVF Central Planning Bureau experts also ascribe the improvement to corruption as they issue the usual barrage of sneers, disagreements, complaints, and dire predictions. It's corrupt if they don't; corrupt if they do; in corruption we trust, forever and ever, amen.

Edited by JSixpack

44 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

It's at the heart of the matter. Corruption.

Corruption is embedded in too many aspects of Thai society and as guests here is easy to be over critical but I do not believe corruption is heart of the matter for Pattaya's perpetual flooding. 

35 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

Corruption is embedded in too many aspects of Thai society and as guests here is easy to be over critical but I do not believe corruption is heart of the matter for Pattaya's perpetual flooding. 

i suggest you look up the definition of "perpetual" :coffee1:

36 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

Many of us here are not guests.  It's our home.  We've got family here, run legit businesses, etc.  Far from guests.

Research the big reasons for flooding in Bangkok.  Encroachment is one.  Just like in Pattaya.  Corruption.  Not the only reason for the problems here, but one of the big ones.

10 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Many of us here are not guests.  It's our home.  We've got family here, run legit businesses, etc.  Far from guests.

Research the big reasons for flooding in Bangkok.  Encroachment is one.  Just like in Pattaya.  Corruption.  Not the only reason for the problems here, but one of the big ones.

Semantics, Pattaya is my home too, but guests sounds gentler than alien. Unless you are a Thai citizen (some farang are) then you are here on an extension of stay from your original visa, be it marriage, retirement, business, etc.  There are many reasons for flooding and yes, encroachment is one of them. Add to the list, geography, poor planning, questionable design and engineering, lack of maintenance, not picking up refuse, and the list goes on. More construction,  condos, businesses, roads, more concrete asphalt, means Mother Earth's natural buffer (absorption) is impacted. Improvements cost money and this government has different priorities. 

2 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

Seriously?

Explain any other reason for zero maintenance being done on the infrastructure, illegal buildings, etc etc.

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

all major intersections on Sukhumvit need tunnels and/or flyovers.

WinnieTheKhwai, on 19 Apr 2013 - 06:21

Lack of city planning is hardly unique to Pattaya or Thailand. Reminds me of the old saying that Boston has only two seasons: winter and road construction.  Suppose the City had started spending a vast amount 25 years ago digging up the streets and putting in huge drainage pipes suitable for a large city. OMG. Think of the reaction in the Mailbag section of the Pattaya Mail!

There was never a need for a tunnel. A flyover, of which they have a lot of experience should have been built. Quicker and cheaper by far.

Isn't the reason for Boston's road problems that freezing damages them/ Hardly relevant in Pattaya.

Suppose the City had started spending a vast amount 25 years ago digging up the streets and putting in huge drainage pipes suitable for a large city. OMG. Think of the reaction in the Mailbag section of the Pattaya Mail!

:cheesy:

Laughs on you, 'cause that's exactly what they did along Beach Rd, except it was more recently. Took them 3 years because they kept putting in ones that were too small. So each year they dug it up, took out the smaller ones and put in larger. 3rd year put in really big ones.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

I do believe one article I read said they upgraded them several years ago.  But already, they're too small and filled with trash.

Make that 20 years ago, and yes, probably full of rubbish, but not too small. More likely, IMO is that when they widened Beach Rd they omitted to join the new guttering to the big pipes.

Anyway, in a sensible society, when they widened the road it would have been the time to put in a big canal under the road. Unfortunately, that would have required engaging brain.............................

11 hours ago, tropo said:

Are you saying there was no such thing as town planning during Pattaya's existence? It's only been built since about 1967, unless you consider a dirt road and a fishing village to be a town. They built the present city hall in the 80s, before the far too narrow 3rd road was built and it was just wasteland without a single building on it. Obviously they didn't employ any qualified city planners. There was more beach back then too, so they can't even get that right.

The problem is easily rectified, but won't be because that would require investing money in public works, and they don't do that in Pattaya, unless it's building marinas that never open, car parking buildings that never open, piers that don't last more than a few years before breaking and beach promenades that are worse than the version before.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Make that 20 years ago, and yes, probably full of rubbish, but not too small. More likely, IMO is that when they widened Beach Rd they omitted to join the new guttering to the big pipes.

Anyway, in a sensible society, when they widened the road it would have been the time to put in a big canal under the road. Unfortunately, that would have required engaging brain.............................

The article I read said it was too small.  And constantly filled with trash.  The reason they put in the new pipes was because the old ones were also too small. LOL