Perpetual flooding in Pattaya

soistalker

What's the reason that Pattaya streets flood after it rains, even after it rains not that much? Is it bad planning, crumbling infrastructure, the garbage thrown everywhere getting in the drains and sewer system? And what's with the water? It is an ominous grey color or sickly  brown. I'm sure that it is completely full of bacteria. Probably so full of bacteria that other bacteria get turned away until the next flooding. And if you have a cut on your leg or feet, you will catch something too difficult to get ride of.

Whats the deal? Can this problem be fixed?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The town is a concete jungle with nowhere for water to be absorbed. So rain is all runoff trying to make it to sea. Why they did not incorporate concrete spillways at the beaches down to sea level was an act of lunacy.

16 minutes ago, pegman said:

The town is a concete jungle with nowhere for water to be absorbed. So rain is all runoff trying to make it to sea. Why they did not incorporate concrete spillways at the beaches down to sea level was an act of lunacy.

You spelled ignorance wrong.

When 2nd or 3rd road flood, it's mostly water in the storm drains pushing up onto the road. The drain's carrying the water from further up the hill on the dark side, meaning that when the rain arrives in Pattaya from the east, there's no place for water to go. 

just after any light rain, go peer down the storm drain grates and you'll see that it turns into quite a torrent in there, even at the top of klang near sukhumvit, which means that the water in the drains comes from further east

there need to be either bigger storm drains or some other paths for water from the dark side to go out to sea or pumping facilities to reroute the water away from Pattaya's streets

What flooding? I've been here since Sunday and haven't seen any flooding. It only rained last night for maybe 20 minutes.

I feel cheated. Should I stop a few days longer?

Maybe I'll plan a bit better for my next trip and bring my own?

Well obviously the drains and sewers fill and spill out at the low points.

I still recall stopping before a junction that was under water on soi Bongkot, letting some other guys on bikes 'test the waters' ahead of me, and I felt something crawling on my legs.. looked down and there were 4-5 cockroaches crawling up me, I near freaked. Hundreds of them were pouring out of drains and trying to climb out of the water!

59 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

There is an excellent article in the BP that details Pattaya's history of flooding. There are many causes. A good read. 

Yes, excellent article.  It lays out the problems very nicely.  Google:

Flood control to shore up Pattaya

22 hours ago, maxpower said:

It because of Thailand's location in relation to the earths gravity. Water does no move well here and often wanders off in random directions. Its worse on full moons.

You have proof of this? Sounds a bit shady like dropping salt on clouds to make it rain etc!  Maybe you want to talk about "earthquake weather"?

Edited by pattayadon

I really don't understand the flooding of Beach Road. So easy to put a large pipe from street to beach side of retaining wall.

On Second Road would it help if they removed the rugs, cardboard etc that is used to cover the drains on the sidewalk?

At least the water has some place to go; try New Orleans. 20 pumps running everyday and these are not little pumps either, just to keep the city  dry!  And when a tropical depression presents itself everyone goes crazy.

Thailand is not the only place that has serious water problems! And then there is Houston............

22 hours ago, pegman said:

You cant watch naked women abuse themselves for the price of a drink in a drain.

Shit, this is Pattaya, of course you can...

I was one of the many people that said the new tunnel would flood. How wrong were we. It is an excellent addition to to aweful road infrastructure here in Pattaya. Journey times through Pattaya Klang are a fraction of what they were before. Only problem is that traffic can build up into the tunnel when flooding occurs further down at Pattaya Tai and just after the Therapasit Road. If further tunnels are built at those locations as suggested, detailed planning would have to take place. These are black spot flood locations, whereas the location of the new tunnel is in an area where flooding rarely occurs. 

3 minutes ago, jimn said:

I was one of the many people that said the new tunnel would flood. How wrong were we. It is an excellent addition to to aweful road infrastructure here in Pattaya. Journey times through Pattaya Klang are a fraction of what they were before. Only problem is that traffic can build up into the tunnel when flooding occurs further down at Pattaya Tai and just after the Therapasit Road. If further tunnels are built at those locations as suggested, detailed planning would have to take place. These are black spot flood locations, whereas the location of the new tunnel is in an area where flooding rarely occurs. 

lol @ rarely occurs. How metres under water would suk road have to be under for the area where tunnel is to flood ?

2 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

lol @ rarely occurs. How metres under water would suk road have to be under for the area where tunnel is to flood ?

Well as far as I am aware the tunnel has not flooded since it was opened. So if thats right "rarely floods" is the right phrase. However willing to to proved wrong is someone knows more.

1 minute ago, jimn said:

Well as far as I am aware the tunnel has not flooded since it was opened. So if thats right "rarely floods" is the right phrase. However willing to to proved wrong is someone knows more.

ohhh I have no doubt it could flood, would need about 2000mm of rain in an hour to do it though.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:10 AM, Lantern said:

It's everything you suggest plus no one has a clue how to fix it. Seems to just get worse every year.

Blame the plastic again! Pattaya's floods are caused mainly by run off from surrounding hills, which once absorbed rain but now are either paved over for housing or stripped bare for timber or gardens. Common knowledge .

2 hours ago, pattayadon said:

You have proof of this? Sounds a bit shady like dropping salt on clouds to make it rain etc!  Maybe you want to talk about "earthquake weather"?

Well, when dealing with madness don't stand too close. Bangkok's location vis-a-vis the universe has little to do with it. Note last years horrendous flood in Italy, England, etc. A flood is simply more water than drainage. Happens everywhere. As for "salt" in clouds, the late king pioneered cloud seeding with sodium iodide crystals, which does produce rain.