Thai Commerce Ministry explains why US pork imports not yet allowed

webfact

The main reason import pork is not allowed is because then the rip off prices for Thai pork could not be charged any more.

Ever seen the price of pork meat in the supermarkets.

Or the cheapest salami, Thai produce, at more than 1000 Baht/kg.

In Europe that is 5 Euro or less than 200 Baht/kg.

22 hours ago, attrayant said:

This is what I came here to post. I don’t understand why there’s no turkey farming in Thailand. It’s a huge bird with lots of meat on it.

I have seen live Turkeys in Udon Thani as well as in Vietnam - but I don't think they do well in high heat/humidity - they are a cold weather bird.  Frozen Butterballs from USA fit the bill.

19 hours ago, Thechook said:

What holidays

Some people consider it politically incorrect to write Christmas. Some of these people find the popular substitute Xmas, pronounced exmas or crossmas, rather silly and use Holidays, with a capital H, instead, which covers both Christmas and New Year and, where celebrated, also Boxing Day. Winter Festival is another euphemism I have seen, but rarely, whereas holiday season, with or without capital initials, is used quite frequently.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2017 at 2:26 PM, attrayant said:

I don’t understand why there’s no turkey farming in Thailand. It’s a huge bird with lots of meat on it.

I think I found the answer: 100 percent of modern-day turkeys are artificially inseminated.

Well, it’s a supply-and-demand story. Because Americans particularly love to eat turkey breast meat (a great delivery platform for gravy!), turkeys have been selectively bred over the years to have bigger and bigger breasts. So big, in fact, that when it comes time for a male turkey to naturally reproduce with a female, his massive breast prevents him from getting close enough to complete the act.

Sheds some light on why they're so expensive.

9 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Not sure what you mean by "modern-day" turkeys but the Heritage breed turkeys are not artificially inseminated but allowed to breed naturally. Because this causes a low reproduction rate for turkey meat, Heritage turkey meat is 3-10 times more expensive that artificially breed turkeys.

12 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Sheds some light on why they're so expensive.

On the contrary, explains why the big "box stores" can offer such turkey meat at such LOW prices.

18 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

On the contrary, explains why the big "box stores" can offer such turkey meat at such LOW prices.

Compared to what?  I checked a few newspaper circulars and whole turkeys are going for $1.99-$2.99 a pound depending on size.  Chicken broilers are around 99¢ a pound.  My point is that artificial insemination is labor intensive, which causes turkey meat to be much more expensive than other meats that might be commonly consumed in Thailand.  Remember my question was why is there no turkey farming in Thailand.

As for your cherry-picked example of a niche-market turkey, congrats on finding an even MORE expensive version that represents about one-one hundredth of total turkey sales in the USA.  So change my 100% figure above to 99.9875% if you like.

"Modern-day" means the common turkeys these days as opposed to the bygone days before turkeys had been bred for size.