Awesome Non-B experience in Hanoi

I have also had excellent experiences with visa applications in HCMC and Hanoi. As long as you satisfy the documented conditions, service is very efficient. The only downside is that the Hanoi traffic is now awful. How I hanker for the nineties when the only traffic you were fighting was swarms of bicycles.

32 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

thought the forum was about helping people with visas not as a way of trying to make your self superior to 'the visa run mob'

It's not about being superior. If the visa runners start using Hanoi instead of Vientiane then Hanoi will become just as bad, which doesn't help anyone.

some years ago I went to the Hanoi embassy to seek assistance in obtaining a thai police report for purposes of a VN temporary residence permit...they were very helpful...

about the same time I went to the PR China embassy to get a visa to attend a business meeting...wotta nightmare, ended up not going...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Happy enough said:

thought the forum was about helping people with visas not as a way of trying to make your self superior to 'the visa run mob'

Another thing the individual failed to mention, for many farangs Vietnam doesn't offer entry visas. You must apply for a visa at the Vietnam consulate/embassy in advance of travel. I have heard anywhere from 4 days to 30 days in advance. Fee of $45. I tried an order visa online service, but sounded like a scam to separate you from your money to me. 

• Confused 1

Let me see, flight alone a min $108 ฿3500

hotel $74 a night for min 1 most likely 2 nights ฿5000

food? ฿11000-฿12000 with visa fee. 

I took a visa run from BKK to Vientiane van transp, overnight private room hotel & 2 meals including visa fee, about ฿6000 maybe ฿6500. Plus Lao 30 day visa $35. Not sure if still same price it was a couple years ago.

met at Tesco Lotus center at Onh Nut

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Erm

I assumed (wrongly) that as a U.K. passport holder I would need something more than just the stamp in my passport when arriving. I did not; I got 15 days on arrival with no questions whatsoever, no requirement to provide anything such as outbound flights, hotels, etc, and no need to complete any forms or make any payment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's not about being superior. If the visa runners start using Hanoi instead of Vientiane then Hanoi will become just as bad, which doesn't help anyone.

So it's OK if you do it, but not others?

13 minutes ago, bkkandy1308 said:

I assumed (wrongly) that as a U.K. passport holder I would need something more than just the stamp in my passport when arriving. I did not; I got 15 days on arrival with no questions whatsoever, no requirement to provide anything such as outbound flights, hotels, etc, and no need to complete any forms or make any payment.

Not sure if policy changed, in a couple years, but I tried to go to HCMC and I was not allowed on plane as no advanced visa. But I am American, maybe that was the difference. I talked to Aussies that had the same experience. 

48 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Not sure if policy changed, in a couple years, but I tried to go to HCMC and I was not allowed on plane as no advanced visa. But I am American, maybe that was the difference. I talked to Aussies that had the same experience. 

US nationals do not get visa exempt entry. However, visas are much less of a problem than a year or two ago. All nationalities can get a visa on arrival (cleared in advance online) quite cheaply. See https://vietnamvisa.govt.vn/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

US nationals do not get visa exempt entry. However, visas are much less of a problem than a year or two ago. All nationalities can get a visa on arrival (cleared in advance online) quite cheaply. See https://vietnamvisa.govt.vn/

Thanks for the info. 

19 hours ago, bkkandy1308 said:

Passing on my personal experiences was all I was aiming to do. When I searched for recent Non-B experiences before coming to Hanoi there was nothing much recent, hence my post. I was only aiming to help others who have the option to look at other places. 

Well, there's that old saying about no good deed going unpunished, Q.E.D.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I took a visa run from BKK to Vientiane van transp, overnight private room hotel & 2 meals including visa fee, about ฿6000 maybe ฿6500. Plus Lao 30 day visa $35. Not sure if still same price it was a couple years ago.

When I was doing visa runs I looked upon them as an opportunity to visit and experience new places, money isn't the only consideration. BTW, you wouldn't find me on a van journey like that, thanks.

On 10/18/2017 at 12:21 AM, edwardandtubs said:

I think most visa runners prefer closer land routes, so Hanoi should remain relatively less preferred.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bkkandy1308 said:

I met my son (UK passport holder) in Hanoi in July and he was issued with a 15 day visa on arrival simply displaying his passport, no problems...

I on the other hand carry a US passport and I had to make the necessary arrangement before travel for which I opted for the letter issued thru the internet to present at the visa counter at the airport in VN to collect the visa...it's also possible to obtain the actual visa before travel from a VN embassy/consulate and then proceed directly to the VN airport immigration counter on arrival...

US passport holders can obtain a one year visa not available to other nationalities...but still have to contort to obtain a short term visa...

21 minutes ago, deessell said:

Good to hear. I'm going to Hanoi for my new SETV next month. I'm a bit worried about the cold though. My feet haven't been in closed in shoes for over 8 years!

You might want a sweater, but Hanoi is not Siberia. Next month, the temperature in Hanoi should be around mid teens, possibly a bit higher.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:32 AM, bkkandy1308 said:

Passing on my personal experiences was all I was aiming to do. When I searched for recent Non-B experiences before coming to Hanoi there was nothing much recent, hence my post. I was only aiming to help others who have the option to look at other places. 

You did right Andy! Thanks for the useful info and and good karma is on the way! Your good deed speaks for itself, don't bother to defend yourself against those who think it's not. They are of a different breed than you and those of us who appreciate your generosity and concern for the benefit of others.

Edited by smo

Thanks to everyone who has commented. 

Just by way of a small update, the weather in Hanoi was (I am now back in Bangkok) very pleasant. It got down to about 20 degrees C at night and was roughly 25 degrees C during the day. Not cold at all. 

Collecting my passport/visa was a breeze too. I was in and out within 30 seconds, and judging by the small pile of passports awaiting collection I'd say that about 20 people were collecting. For the record, collection is from 3pm until 4.30pm on the day after you submit.

• 5 months later...

bump

Going to Hanoi for 1 week for holiday in about 3 months. Was thinkin of trying to secure a tourist visa while im there. Currently in Thailand and have 3 SETV from Penang, the last one with read stamp  

Do I need bank statement? Is the red stamp going to make a problem? 

Thx!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 4:48 AM, Grumpy Duck said:

My trips to Hanoi and HCMC cost less than your trip to Laos. Last few years Vietnam visas have been waived for several nationalities, flights are a bargain, never paid more than 2500 baht round trip with a bit of advance planning. Hotels are often priced in US dollars, and for $25 you can get a good room. Food is priced on a par with Thailand, beer is substantially cheaper. So with no Vietnam visa costs, a two night stay and a SETV, it comes in cheaper than a back breaking and dangerous van ride to Vientiane.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:11 PM, Kaalle said:

bump

Going to Hanoi for 1 week for holiday in about 3 months. Was thinkin of trying to secure a tourist visa while im there. Currently in Thailand and have 3 SETV from Penang, the last one with read stamp  

Do I need bank statement? Is the red stamp going to make a problem? 

Thx!

I have never tried for a tourist visa in Hanoi (or anywhere else) with a red stamp. Based on my experience of Hanoi and HCMC, it is my expectation that the red stamp will be an issue, but not an insuperable one.Because of the red stamp, I expect you will be required to show all of

• bank statement showing a balance of minimum 20,000 Thai baht equivalent (and more would be better);
  • confirmed flight tickets into and out of Thailand; and
  • hotel reservations for part of your visit.

Usually (without the red stamp) they would be happy with air tickets or bank statement.

I repeat that this is based on my general impressions of the embassy. The red stamp means nothing is certain.