music venues in chiang mai

watgate

It was raining so I ducked inside the Fueng Fah Restaurant across from the Meridien Hotel and lo and behold there was a 5 piece band with 2 singers playing there. I must have passed this restaurant at least several hundred times, and if not for the rain, I probably never would have gone inside and heard this band. They had a male singer who was quite talented doing some Elvis Presley songs and a woman who had a really lovely  voice. Upon hearing them perform for a little while it got me wondering how many other places are there in Chiang Mai that have great music. I am really not into heavy metal or hard rock but more into pop music, soft rock, jazz, and 50, 60, and 70 type of music. If anyone knows any restaurants or clubs or other venues that play this assortment of music and are impressed with the bands performance, let me know and I will make a point to check them out.Thanks,

Here's some information - Boy's Blues Bar is still going strong (up the stairs at Kalahre Night Bazaar) and I believe the Euro Bar in Anusarn Night Market music has live music. Then there's Papa Rock (Hang Dong) on the other side of the road to Big C with the "Sunday Sesh" jam . Yummy Pizza ( Hang Dong) still have an enthusiastic jam night (with pro musicians) on Wednesday nights. Then there's a blues duo at Street Pizza (Changklan Road) on Sunday nights. There's also the relatively new Hard Rock cafe in Loi Kroh Road (Near Burger King and McDonalds). I think they have live music 3 or 4 nights each week. The 80's bar has live music every night and stll very popular is CU Corner (Moon Muang, Soi 1), with live music every nights (except Sunday). Then there's the Jazz Cafe in Changklan Road with music almost every night. On Saturday mornings a Thai guy plays nice acoustic guitar at the Chiang Mai Breakfast Bar (formerly the German Beer Garden) , that's on Moon Muang Soi 2. There's usually live music beiing played somewhere at Zoe in Yellow but it's mainly for the backpacking crowd and not forgetting of course, Northgate and Northgate Jazz.

Finally there's often some great shows and live music at the amphitheatre outside the Promenada shopping mall on some Saturday nights (check out their website for upcoming events and informationhttp://www.promenadachiangmai.com/ ).

Most of the venues I've mentioned have FB pages and directions how to get there.

Regards,

Joe

Some top quality bars with live music that I've experienced are: 

7 Pounds @ Home around the back of Maya. Great bands and musicians and the music they play is extremely tasteful. Really great food also. 

Sudsanan - great selection of drinks, plays acoustic stuff on the regular and often have live molam - their birthday parties are not to be missed! Not sure where it is exactly as I always get a lift there and back so I don't need to know the location. Awesome food and I've heard many a Thai claim it's amongst the best they've had not only in CM but the entire country! Give it a Google. 

Both quality bars, farang friendly and offer amazingly tasteful music. They both also pay attention to the quality of sound on offer rather than just the volume like 99.9% of all bars with music I've been to in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, MickeyMaow said:

Serious question. What does farang friendly bar mean?

At a minimum it means the restaurant staff doesn't ignore customers who aren't Thai. 

A higher level of farang friendliness is achieved when menus are in both Thai and English, and some of the staff can speak a little English.

6 hours ago, heybruce said:

At a minimum it means the restaurant staff doesn't ignore customers who aren't Thai. 

A higher level of farang friendliness is achieved when menus are in both Thai and English, and some of the staff can speak a little English.

Pretty much bang on. Recently Ive read about people on here about getting stung with their final bill - paying 500/600 extra. Never ever happens at these places, the bill is always correct. 

On 10/20/2017 at 12:53 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Across the road from Pantip there is an outdoor restaurant that has a live band some nights.

Once they had a very talented young schoolboy playing the drums, but haven't heard him since the one time.

I ve seen them there quite a few times .

Sat and watched the trio for a while and noticed that the girl bassists wasnt playing her instrument

She was standing there just pretending to play it