Paid overstay but only given 18 days.

21 minutes ago, jackdd said:

But even there have to be some kind of exceptions. What would happen if you were in a coma? Maybe an international hospital is aware of these things and would handle it for you, but if it's a small provincial hospital i doubt they are aware of this.

There are no exceptions that would allow the overstay fine to be waived. Perhaps for the banning for a overstay of more than 90 days they would be lenient.

Some hospitals may be aware of immigration requirements. In many cases if is up to family or friends to be aware of it and get an extension arranged.

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

People should get their extensions done before they go into a coma

Actually, I think most people aware that they, say, are about to suffer a traffic accident that results in hospitalization in a coma, would prefer to avoid the accident rather than rushing to immigration to request an extension. Indeed, I see nothing in the rules for extensions that suggests you can request an extension based on an anticipated coma.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

But even there have to be some kind of exceptions. What would happen if you were in a coma? Maybe an international hospital is aware of these things and would handle it for you, but if it's a small provincial hospital i doubt they are aware of this.

Well advised to always have a contingency plan in place.

Advise family or friends to contact Immigration immediately.

Extensions of stay on medical grounds can be obtained.

30 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Actually, I think most people aware that they, say, are about to suffer a traffic accident that results in hospitalization in a coma, would prefer to avoid the accident rather than rushing to immigration to request an extension. Indeed, I see nothing in the rules for extensions that suggests you can request an extension based on an anticipated coma.

It really could help them to avoid an accident .

If they were driving down to road on a bike and a bus was coming towards them in the wrong direction , they then may panic and dont know what to do 

If they immediately thought "I need to get to immigration to get my extension done before that bus runs me over and I end up in a coma" , they may instinctively make a turn to the direction of the immigration office and thus avoiding the accident .

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If they were driving down to road on a bike and a bus was coming towards them in the wrong direction , they then may panic and dont know what to do 

If they immediately thought "I need to get to immigration to get my extension done before that bus runs me over and I end up in a coma" , they may instinctively make a turn to the direction of the immigration office and thus avoiding the accident .

Indeed! That does show the advantage of making keeping your immigration status legal a top priority.

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

My first immediate thought would be 'am I wearing brown trousers today'.