How to live for 4000 baht a month. Not inc rents.

dfdgfdfdgs

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Another credulous prediction, one which neither of us will be around to confirm or refute. But given that Carbon Dioxide is the source of all plant life are we too expect that we will have the "Attack  of the Plants", that will kill off us humans because there is no way that CO2 will.  :wai:

this is somewhat off topic but I have to respond to this. My intention is not to steer the original topic off course.

Of course carbon dioxide is the source of all plant life. The problem is that we are burning fuels that were created from plants, and thus from carbon dioxide, that grew many millions of years ago and then were fossilized.

I agree that carbon dioxide will not kill us. In fact as you indicate we need carbon dioxide used in photosynthesis to produce all life energy. Also if there was no carbon dioxide in the upper atmosphere the average temperature of this planet would be somewhere around -15 degrees C.

What will (and is causing) the problem is all the extra energy radiated back to the upper atmosphere of the Earth due to rapidly increasing amounts of greenhouse gases, the major one of which is CO2. This is what is causing the average temperature to rise annually by what most people see as a tiny increase but which in fact is an historical huge increase.

4 minutes ago, nivram4491 said:

this is somewhat off topic but I have to respond to this. My intention is not to steer the original topic off course.

Of course carbon dioxide is the source of all plant life. The problem is that we are burning fuels that were created from plants, and thus from carbon dioxide, that grew many millions of years ago and then were fossilized.

I agree that carbon dioxide will not kill us. In fact as you indicate we need carbon dioxide used in photosynthesis to produce all life energy. Also if there was no carbon dioxide in the upper atmosphere the average temperature of this planet would be somewhere around -15 degrees C.

What will (and is causing) the problem is all the extra energy radiated back to the upper atmosphere of the Earth due to rapidly increasing amounts of greenhouse gases, the major one of which is CO2. This is what is causing the average temperature to rise annually by what most people see as a tiny increase but which in fact is an historical huge increase.

I only answered as I disagree with what you initially stated and even more so with your additional response. Bu as we are getting too far off topic maybe we can discuss this in a future relevant thread,:wai:

40 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

As I sit here sipping on my Baileys and ice I am trying to figure out what I would have to go without to live on that amount.  Nope, not going to go without but if he can live on that than good on him. My lifestyle is not over the top but what I want and when I want, I buy it. I came here to live a comfortable life but to do it on 4000 bah, nope, no way.  By the way, I'm not into bars or the girls found there, but I do like a good food and a good drink so I do save a few baht by not indulging where I don't need to.  Oh, and my dog, he eats that amount in food each month so he would blow that budget straight away. :wai: 

what's your dogs name?

On 10/29/2017 at 3:54 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

I've had a few medical emergencies in my 10 years here.

Emergency stay in hospital (2 nights, 3 days) 5K deposit, 1k5 handed back on exit. No money requested until I asked for a private room.

Broken face and jaw (out-patient) stitching and cleaning no cash required up front, 5 dental treatments splint and rebuild teeth a round 3k5bht in all.

Stitching leg after a fall running, 8 stiches, 250bht inc meds.

3 cancerous spots on forehead, 1k5bht

Cosmetic removal of lumps at CMRAM, 3kbht.

Never seen the need for medical insurance, cheap as chips. 

was all this around Bangkok?  My daughter and son-in-law visiting from the usa got food poisoning in Krabi last year and son had to spend a day/night in a hospital with IV, etc, daughter wasn't quite so bad and was treated as an outpatient. Total bill with meds was less than $300

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Maybe she buys herself enough Chanel No. 5 so she doesn't notice -- but most everyone else on here likes to say that they have a wife/TGF who loves them for reasons other than money, why not him?

Yes

they always love you for various other reasons, but you still have to HAVE money.

If you dont believe then tell to them:  " from this day onward our budget is 130baht per day"

And then see how long she will hang around!

Me and gf combined, we will easily spend this wopping 130 baht not more than 1 hour after walking out the house and that is before buying essentials.

So i really calling B.S on this guy if he say he can go one month sticking to a 130bht a day budget.

A few days maybe a week ok but a month

Comon, i think many would be jumping of balconies

2 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

As I sit here sipping on my Baileys and ice I am trying to figure out what I would have to go without to live on that amount.  Nope, not going to go without but if he can live on that than good on him. My lifestyle is not over the top but what I want and when I want, I buy it. I came here to live a comfortable life but to do it on 4000 bah, nope, no way.  By the way, I'm not into bars or the girls found there, but I do like a good food and a good drink so I do save a few baht by not indulging where I don't need to.  Oh, and my dog, he eats that amount in food each month so he would blow that budget straight away. :wai: 

For many, that sweet disgusting drink would also be considered slumming it, and don't forget what Schwarznegger said,

Edited by torrzent

2 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

No it's my loathing of people like you who think it's OK to over stay and not pay hospital bills.

Get a life! And go back to government hand outs in your nanny state. Thailand doesn't need or want you

Have you got a little badge with "I'm officially needed by the Thais" lying around somewhere?

Maybe get some anger management therapy, mate.

one could also live pretty cheap in the US:

Tap Water

Food Banks

Wash clothes by hand in sink

Wait to die

It's possible to live cheap anywhere. Sadly some people who never lived here read these posts and truly believe they can live like that, come here, then cry when they realize how expensive life is here if they want a comparable lifestyle.

Life in Thailand is not cheap if you wish to maintain a middle class lifestyle.

The "not incl. rent" thing is interesting. In the UK lots of people pay £450 in rent and council tax for what you can rent for £50 (or a little over) in Thailand, so basically feeding yourself for £90 [Pastaman] and handing over everything else in housing costs is what a lot of students do. Mind you, they don't plan to do it indefinitely. 

I know someone who lives on European disability benefits of 400 Euro in Thailand. Even allowing for the fact that he has to pay his own housing costs (which he'd have paid in Europe) it's still cheaper to live in Thailand. A hundred Euro on housing leaves you with 300, and 300 buys a lot more than 400 would in Europe. 

Edited by Craig krup

Plenty of Thai's live on 4K in the sticks. So do certain Farangs, even in Pattaya. Example:

Last time I was in Pattaya, occasionally a Farang in his mid-fifties showed up during Happy-Hour at the B****a Bar on Soi Post office/2nd Rd. We got to talk:
- He lives in a Thai-Dwelling and pays 1000 Bht per month for rent. According to him, his expenses are never more than 5K per month.
An "old hand", speaking Isaan-Thai very well. Extremely popular with the Thai female bar-staff and Thai's in general.
Him living from hand to mouth, I asked him "what if any sort of emergency should come your way, requiring money"?
He put on a broad smile and replied: "Well, If I die, I die and I don't know what tomorrow will bring."

Clearly a guy that has aquired a lot of "Thainess" over the years and still comes across as a "happy camper". Happier than many fellow Farangs, that spend 20 times this amount, so it seems to me.
But still: I myself could never aquire so much "Thainess" and remain a "happy camper".
Cheers. 

When I have to return to the UK for a couple of weeks every now and then I find myself living on cheese toasties until it gets too much and I hot a deli for some meats. It just does not feel right anymore when I'm there, I actually feel guilty if I eat a curry or something and I then lie to my Mrs in thailand about what I ate so she does not get in a mood lol

7 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

Yes they always love you for various other reasons, but you still have to HAVE money.

If you dont believe then tell to them:  " from this day onward our budget is 130baht per day" And then see how long she will hang around!

She would say (loosely translated): Oh -- you've been reading that silly farang website again

4 hours ago, swissie said:

Plenty of Thai's live on 4K in the sticks. So do certain Farangs, even in Pattaya. Example:

Last time I was in Pattaya, occasionally a Farang in his mid-fifties showed up during Happy-Hour at the B****a Bar on Soi Post office/2nd Rd. We got to talk:
- He lives in a Thai-Dwelling and pays 1000 Bht per month for rent. According to him, his expenses are never more than 5K per month.
An "old hand", speaking Isaan-Thai very well. Extremely popular with the Thai female bar-staff and Thai's in general.
Him living from hand to mouth, I asked him "what if any sort of emergency should come your way, requiring money"?
He put on a broad smile and replied: "Well, If I die, I die and I don't know what tomorrow will bring."

Clearly a guy that has aquired a lot of "Thainess" over the years and still comes across as a "happy camper". Happier than many fellow Farangs, that spend 20 times this amount, so it seems to me.
But still: I myself could never aquire so much "Thainess" and remain a "happy camper".
Cheers. 

IMO, resigning one's self to the welcome relief of death due to lack of funds for medical care, is definitely a symptom of something; but I don't think it's happiness.  

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

IMO, resigning one's self to the welcome relief of death due to lack of funds for medical care, is definitely a symptom of something; but I don't think it's happiness.  

Writing on a website that one is resigned to the welcome relief of death due to lack of funds for medical care and being so when it actually happens are two different things.

On 29/10/2017 at 2:54 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

I've had a few medical emergencies in my 10 years here.

Emergency stay in hospital (2 nights, 3 days) 5K deposit, 1k5 handed back on exit. No money requested until I asked for a private room.

Broken face and jaw (out-patient) stitching and cleaning no cash required up front, 5 dental treatments splint and rebuild teeth a round 3k5bht in all.

Stitching leg after a fall running, 8 stiches, 250bht inc meds.

3 cancerous spots on forehead, 1k5bht

Cosmetic removal of lumps at CMRAM, 3kbht.

Never seen the need for medical insurance, cheap as chips. 

This Year:

MRI Coil at Bumrungrad : 45000,

Gastroscopy at Bumrungrad: 30000,

HIV PEP at Pulse Clinic: 14000.

All refunded by Cigna at 90%

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

Yes -- and the best time to buy health insurance is when you don't need it.

I had pals from Brasil that never had any insurance, thought people who bought any were fools.

The American way isn't the only way. 

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I had pals from Brasil that never had any insurance, thought people who bought any were fools.

The American way isn't the only way. 

In the nearly nine years I have lived here, I've never had medical or travel insurance. I have money set aside for a medical emergency such as a road accident.

Medical insurance here for someone over 70 is fairly academic, even if I could get it with no pre-existing conditions I am looking at yearly premiums of 300,000 baht. So I maintain full private health cover in Australia, which costs me

60,000 baht a year. A flight back to Australia costs 25,000 baht, business class. Have never needed it.

Travel insurance is a scam. In the nine years, I missed one connection which cost me 1300 baht to rectify. I'd pay out that much just in one premium.

All of the above is founded on the assumption insurance companies honor claims made on the policies they write. So it's strange every insurance company has departments and operating manuals that set out defined procedures for denial of claims. Sometimes as the initial response. And from what I hear, in Thailand claim denial is an art form.

I agree with your Brazilian pals.

9 hours ago, torrzent said:

For many, that sweet disgusting drink would also be considered slumming it, and don't forget what Schwarznegger said,

Your opinion and if affording and drinking it makes me girly, then so be it.  At least I do not have to slum it as anyone living on what is suggested here would be doing.  Be cool dude, I suppose to be a man you have to drink some of the poor quality beers that are now on the market here.

My cellar, (Yes I have one) consists of many high quality wines (Grange Hermitage) and I also have a good collection of whiskies, (Blue Label J W) and others, so definitely  girly. Maybe you should go back to the bar chair you're posting from and practice being manly.  Please have a good day.:wai: