cost of Rice field

dauu

Hello Dauu

I know this is frustrating but there is not simple cut and dry answer. You're best off to have your Thai partner find out how much land in the adjacent area is worth. Is there a small road beside it to facilitate harvesting etc. does it have a big klong feeding it or just a small one?There are a  myriad of of things that will impact the price. But foremost unfortunately will be does the seller know that you a farang are interested and prepared to fund the purchase. That it self will do more to inflate the price than anything else. I know that doesn't answer you question but now you know there a lot more to the answer than a simple statement. Good luck 

11 hours ago, dauu said:

How much should cost

+-20000 bhat

•  

If this is a question, then no, you'll get nothing worthwhile for ฿20 000. 4 Rai went for ฿45 bloody MILLION recently, near the road with water, here near Buriram.

In addition to the variables mentioned above, there is the "Rich Farang coming" factor.

The proper cost of farmland is a never ending question here and elsewhere. I've watched it in my area since I moved here. In my area most sellers are selling to pay off a bank loan and widely overestimate the value of the land.

What I've done for my wife's land is keep track of costs and calculate the net profit after harvest. For us, that profit is very slim due to the dismal rice prices - I've seen it recently down to 6000 baht per tonne. This year I'm taking more land out of rice and trying some alternatives. 

Still I recognize that producing your own rice for family consumption is a big part of rural culture. All that said, I will continue to plant rice but am very hesitant to buy more land at inflated prices if it's only for farming. It depends on what your aims are for the land. If you are also building a house on the land that makes a purchase more justifiable. As someone else said, have your wife ask around and you will get on idea of what the gong local rate is. Then you have to decide if it's worth it.

Before my wife bought in Chiang Mai, I thought “that’s a ridiculous price for land in the middle of nowhere. So we priced around and everything was MUCH higher. 

So we bought. That’s the only way to figure out what the price should be. 

There are so many variables that unless someone knows this specific area, responses are not terribly valid... often times here, prices are partly determined on what people will guess might be happening in the future in that area... and so, the value of rice production is not the ultimate driving force in the value of the land... 

There is no substitute for knowledge. 

The price of a rice field near me is irrelevant if they are going to put in a University nearby your rice field and the land might be converted to residential for dormitories.. for example. 

13 hours ago, dauu said:

How much should cost

+-20000 bhat

•  

20.000 per TW ? looks quite rich i.e. 8.000.000 per rai.
20.000 / Rai I'd take immediately if it is  NorSor Sam, or even if NorSorSong, and I like the location.
Then find one of the local Farmers to grow rice, and share the crop 50/50
(if not Chanote, difficult to Get Superficies on the Land though) 
Mueang Chiang Rai outskirts near new government center asking price about 500.000 - 600.000 per rai and more if close to a paved road.
add 1 - 1.5 meters landfill if you intent to build a house.
(1600 x 1.5 x 450 B = upto 1.000.000 B per rai)

In a previous life I was a property auctioneer, here it still never ceases to amaze me the pricing structure ! Sellers have 3 prices 1.dream price,  2. would like 3.would take. Buyers also have 3 prices 1 would steal it for, 2. Would pay, 3. Would not let someone else buy first.  So in transaction these prices must meet to enable a sale.  You being a falang being involved in purchase will ensure the seller seeking a premium..as others have said see what comparable properties have " sold" for knowledge is power.  Cash is important therefore can offer shorter settlement period.  Don't be afraid to start at lesser price.....but not ridiculous.  Better if Thai does neg even better if the seller does not know falang is buyer, good luck

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

4 rai for 45 million baht in burirum? Really hard to believe since it would be the most expensive non bkk land in the country....my guess 4.5 million IF choice land..put it on par with CM farm lands...

Somebody might have paid too much by just a little bit, never mind.

prices always go up .... just sit back and wait about 1000 years and it should be about right 

1 hour ago, namatjira said:

Somebody might have paid too much by just a little bit, never mind.

prices always go up .... just sit back and wait about 1000 years and it should be about right 

"just sit back and wait about 1000 years and it should be about right "

Thailand will be a part of China by then or a 4th world country if the Kingdom still exists :coffee1:

18 hours ago, dauu said:

How much should cost

+-20000 bhat

•  

What is the title of the deed..?

Farmland and ricefields can be anything from some ten-thousand baht a rai to a million baht a rai, depending of the deed and location; the latter already mentioned by other posters.

6 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

4 rai for 45 million baht in burirum? Really hard to believe since it would be the most expensive non bkk land in the country....my guess 4.5 million IF choice land..put it on par with CM farm lands...

Try Khao Yai  currently15-20 million baht for one rai.

Archived