Govt aims to make Thailand a gemstone and jewelry hub in the next 5 years

webfact

Govt aims to make Thailand a gemstone and jewelry hub in the next 5 years

BANGKOK, 6 November 2017 (NNT) - The government is pushing for growth in the gemstone and jewelry sector, in a bid to make Thailand an industry hub in the next five years. 

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha delivered a keynote address during the 2017 CIBJO Congress in Bangkok, which was attended by gemstone and jewelry federations from over 42 countries. 

The Thai industry has employed over 700,000 people and generates over seven billion dollars in annual revenue. Acknowledging the sector's potential, the government aims to make Thailand a gemstone and jewelry hub through tax and financial incentives, commercial development, increasing connectivity with the tourism industry, and raising the quality standards to boost credibility. 

Gen Prayut said the government is committed to supporting the gemstone and jewelry industry as a key economic driver under the Eastern Economic Corridor and Thailand 4.0 policies.

The Prime Minister also invited participants to attend the biannual Bangkok Gems & Jewelry Fair, which will be held from February 21st - 25th next year.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-11-06

10 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I thought Thailand already was a gemstone and jewelry hub judging from the flood of foreign visitors that consistently keep filing complaints about having been scammed in "government-owned" jewelry stores.

I think you're right. I am sure TAT declared it Thailand a Jewellery Hub some little time back. 

But perhaps because of the importance of PM Prayut giving the keynote speech it has been elevated to Super Hub status rather than the common old garden variety Hub.

23 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I thought Thailand already was a gemstone and jewelry hub judging from the flood of foreign visitors that consistently keep filing complaints about having been scammed in "government-owned" jewelry stores.

Sssst, the chinese don't know about that reputation yet....

Yippee, another hub.

Thais should be proud of their world leading position in the hub industry: always great entertainment value.

Personally, I think  of Thailand as a potential hub for hydroponic Alaskan Pollock. Polar bear farms, fur seal breeding and as a centre of excellence in public administration also spring to mind... nothing is impossible when Thailand’s visionary leaders get a hub-on, at least for a week or so.

file

Edited by eddie61

Out of the 7 billion THB, I wonder how many billions of THB is fake bling-bling.  Who is going to know the difference unless you're a trained gemologist?  And here in the Land of Scams, are you going to trust a gemologist just because they told you your precious stones are the real deal?  "Here! I give you certificate jing-jing!"

Personally, I'd prefer to go out and buy some pretty, shiny, polished crystals or glass, mount them in a nice, custom-made jewelry setting - and presto!  Bling -Bling!!!  Honestly, cubic zirconia looks better than real diamonds.  Same could be said for a lot of nice looking crystals and polished rocks.

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Thailand -- the hub of hub mania!

Enough already with the hubs.

Hub Schmub.

When you claim to be a hub of almost everything, you totally lose your credibility to be the hub of anything ... 

Thailand: HUB 4.0

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

I think you're right. I am sure TAT declared it Thailand a Jewellery Hub some little time back. 

But perhaps because of the importance of PM Prayut giving the keynote speech it has been elevated to Super Hub status rather than the common old garden variety Hub.

It's been a hub for at least thirty years, it's just that the wheels fell off.

4 hours ago, eddie61 said:

Yippee, another hub.

Thais should be proud of their world leading position in the hub industry: always great entertainment value.

Personally, I think  of Thailand as a potential hub for hydroponic Alaskan Pollock. Polar bear farms, fur seal breeding and as a centre of excellence in public administration also spring to mind... nothing is impossible when Thailand’s visionary leaders get a hub-on, at least for a week or so.

file

but surely there must even be a Minister of Hubs ? Like the Monty Python Ministry of silly walks

13 hours ago, yellowboat said:

I lived there for a while.  There are a number of repeatable resellers there.  Not sure how the government can help them.  They seem to be doing fine on their own. 

The government can help by helping themselves to the jewels