Thai Credit Card and PIN

Hello,

I have multiple Thai credit cards (not ATM/debit). As those who have Thai credit card know, once you are approved and received your credit card, bank will mail you ATM PIN for cash advance.

I travel to Japan at least once a year, and use my Thai credit card there. Time to time a clerk at restaurant or shop ask me to enter PIN number. When that happens, I always tell them I don't have a PIN. Then a clerk operates terminal and switch to signing. I'm not very familiar with this entering PIN for credit cards. None of my US credit cards have PIN, except ATM pin for cash advance. I have never been asked for PIN when I used my Thai credit cards in Thailand, Singapore, Spain, Italy, France, Turkey, and a few other EU nations.

When I'm asked to enter the PIN in Japan, am I supposed to enter its ATM PIN number? Or Thai credit cards just don't have such PIN?

Thanks

I travel abroad often (including Japan) and never been asked for a PIN when using Thai credit cards (KBank, Bank of Ayudhaya, Citibank). I've only ever been given one PIN for these cards (for cash advance), which presumably is the one I would use if asked. The UK is always a signature.

19 minutes ago, natway09 said:

They assume it is a debit card

It seems to depend on the combination of issuing bank and local bank.

Personally I like using a pin, mostly now credit card companies don't ask for a signature any more.

I have a credit card from a Dutch bank, it bears my picture, I need to pin, and I sign the receipt and always ask the seller, in deeds or words, to verify my signature.

Safety first.

My Thai credit card goes straight through in the UK without entering anything. It has surprised the merchant a few times as well as they always ask me to enter my PIN.

The fact that it does work and goes straight through is a worry at times as I have a substantial card limit. I would be happier if it actually was a chip and pin as they are called for that second line of security.

I never use my credit card for cash advances nor do I know the PIN which remains unused in my safe.

Edited by Scouse123

I rented a car on a KBank Wisdom card earlier this year. They asked me to put my card in and enter a PIN. I told them I have no PIN and they entered the credit card number like they did in the olden days, and it was approved for use with no PIN

The Bank of Thailand wants all Thai credit and debit cards eventually using chip and pin (the norm in most European countries now) because it is far, far more secure, but the biggest banks/card issuers have delayed implementation because they need to reissue to replace millions of old style cards. So if you get a chip card and a pin, remember the pin because eventually you will have to use it. 

Countries with chip and pin systems currently (mostly) default to a signature slip when they detect the card is from a country Which hasn’t yet switched over -  like Thailand. For automated ticket machines etc it often allows a straight through transaction without a signature as the amounts are small. However this is not always the case - try buying petrol/gas with your card in Iceland and you MUST have a pin. Similarly many French sales card terminals only seem to accept a pin authorisation. 

When Thailand does make the switch, all overseas chip and pin terminals will ALWAYS require a pin on a Thai card

Edited by osandpo