What to do with these 2 broken iphones?

davejonesbkk

OK so Ive had 2 iphones break within a week.

First one is my wifes iphone 6, she dropped it and the screens cracked, still works though. Ive heard that it can cost as much as 10k baht to replace a screen so not sure if its worth it, so whats the next best option? Can it be sold to a shop and if so what can I expect to get for it?

Second one is my old 5, its over 4 years old now and been on its last legs for a while now, finally died the other day and wont switch on or charge at all. So same question as above, is there any shop that would buy it off me for parts or something like that? Also, is there anyway of getting the data off it? Its only the images I want and Im pretty sure they are all backed up to my other devices such as the ipad but I want to be sure.

Finally, what is the cheapest iphone available now? I like iphones but not that keen on spending much on one right now tbh and I only use them for basic stuff like Gmail, news and a few chat apps.

thanks

The iPhone 6, (if you are in Bangkok), try the repair guys at MBK.  Approx 1,990B.  Should work fine, except perhaps for the Touch ID (ie. Fingerprint).... ie. you'll need to use the keypad input to unlock the phone etc.  They can probably even tell you if they can fix the phone, before getting started.  From time to time, Lazada has refurbished iPhones...choose ship from Thailand if you only want to deal with Thailand based vendors.   

1 hour ago, tpkhk said:

The iPhone 6, (if you are in Bangkok), try the repair guys at MBK.  Approx 1,990B.  Should work fine, except perhaps for the Touch ID (ie. Fingerprint).... ie. you'll need to use the keypad input to unlock the phone etc.  They can probably even tell you if they can fix the phone, before getting started.  From time to time, Lazada has refurbished iPhones...choose ship from Thailand if you only want to deal with Thailand based vendors.   

I strongly recommend that you do not get any repair done at MBK. I have done this twice and been cheated both times.

I personally recommend the phone shop named "Target" on the second floor of Fortune (Ratchada at Rama 9) next to the entrance to Tesco 2nd floor. They are affordable, but more importantly, trustworthy. Over 10 different repairs there for iPhones, and iPads, and alway done right at a reasonable price.

Take them to most repair shops and they guess a price. Keep them and take them back to your own country. As stated there are plenty of other phones do most of the same. I bought a Samsung 7 new in New Zealand so much cheaper than an iPhone does the same thing.

16 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I changed the battery in my iPhone 5. Works fine. Bought from Apple in U.S. in 2013.

Plenty of online videos to walk you through it, though you do have to obtain the battery replacement "kit" from somewhere.   With new iPhones going for USD1000, it's going to be worth it for a lot of people, esp. if having your face "recognized" by your phone is something you can live without.   The biggest problem with an older iPhone is that at some point you can't update the ios any longer (which means you're not going to be able to update most of your apps any longer or install new ones either).

The 6 is easilny repaired with a new screen and you can use after market for around 2,000baht or Apple for your retirement fund plus a pound of flesh + + +

The thumb print recognition should not be affected if they refit your original

The 5 you could look for a smashed up one or a locked out of  itunes one and use the battery from that.

If you are in Bkk go to the back of PanTip plaza  and ask all of the guys in there, they will all have a different price so bounce one off the other and you may get a original battery for 5 to 700 baht fitted

Don't spend much on the 5 as you will not update soon

Good luck 

9 hours ago, thrilled said:

Sell them cheaply,or throw them away.Just buy 2 new ones.The iPhone X sounds good.You’ll be glad you did.

OMG - why would anyone want to over spend when all they want is to carry out some basics on their phone? Are you an Apple disciple? The iPhone X won't break? Sheesh. :coffee1:

13 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

where did you get this done and what does it cost?

Sorry, done some time ago at a shop in Central Airport Mall. The shop is now gone and I cannot remember the cost. It was reasonable or I would have gone elsewhere. There is an iCare shop in that mall but they are higher priced.