Why do farang feed soi dogs?

sharktooth

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, EcigAmateur said:

I second you !

Fair play I mean what is the OP thinking that a dog is like vermin. Soi dogs are great guard dogs. Any dog is potentially a man's best friend. Reminds me of a poster's recent story of his missing dog who he found after 6 months of searching. Could be just lost.

Edited by Rc2702

Just now, Ruffian Dick said:

I have a lot of trouble with people who think that if they can't "use" an animal for something, then they (I mean the animal) must be vermin.

Ok so what kind of suggestions di you have for such people?  Use their face to wipe ya assss after a curry perhaps? 

4 hours ago, ross163103 said:

I didn't need any but thanks.

By the way what organization have you started, or contribute too, to save sick and starving children(?), I'll send them a donation. Just for your info I've contributed many times over many years to lots of different orphanages in Pattaya, especially the smaller ones that need more help getting started.

St. Jude Childrens Hospital

Child Fund Int'l

City of Hope

"Some of the responses on here just reinforce the fact of why I like dogs more than a lot of humans. "

You need far more than you think.

On 11/14/2017 at 7:43 AM, osandpo said:

Sounds like you’ve never been to India and haven’t had much contact with human children either. 

Actually I've spent much time in India and seen many street children none of which bit me, ran into traffic, or had offspring.

I live in an area where I'm the only farang. Plenty, I mean really plenty of soi dogs and I see many Thais giving their leftovers to them. Non of these dogs are aggressive. No matter whether I walk or cycle past them. Some of them are really beautiful animals, many puppies are too cute.

BTW, I see them as dogs, mammals not vermin.

He/she who calls them vermin should take a close look in the mirror.

And no, I'm not feeding them, rather would like to see them euthanized or consequently spayed.

12 minutes ago, maximillian said:

I live in an area where I'm the only farang. Plenty, I mean really plenty of soi dogs and I see many Thais giving their leftovers to them. Non of these dogs are aggressive. No matter whether I walk or cycle past them. Some of them are really beautiful animals, many puppies are too cute.

BTW, I see them as dogs, mammals not vermin.

He/she who calls them vermin should take a close look in the mirror.

And no, I'm not feeding them, rather would like to see them euthanized or consequently spayed.

Interesting Post, from the tone of it you appear to be at peace, with yourself, the dogs and the world in general, lucky person

Feeding them in your situation I can see no reason why you wouldn't / shouldn't

Spaying them has it obvious benefits but it needs to be universal to have any chance of achieving anything permanent

The word euthanize seems to be out of place as regards the rest of your Post, as it is offered as an option between that and spaying, unless its an act of kindness as particular animals have obviously suffered enough

12 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

St. Jude Childrens Hospital

Child Fund Int'l

City of Hope

"Some of the responses on here just reinforce the fact of why I like dogs more than a lot of humans. "

You need far more than you think.

Enough of the back and forth banter on this subject from me. By the way Hawker9000 I've sent my donation to St Judes--see attached receipt. If you'd like to help the street dog issue instead of just commenting on it, you can donate to the man listed below, and no, I'm not his friend, I don't know him or who he is, just letting people know that he gets dogs off the streets, not just feeds them. So to all the posters that don't want people feeding strays, if you donate to this man it would help get them off the streets. Easy to sit behind a computer and mouth off, put your money where your mouth is.

https://www.facebook.com/themanthatrescuesdogs/

5a0c12fa23edb_StJude.thumb.JPG.ccaff368798d7f6aa44c08c362307319.JPG

Edited by ross163103
Added content

11 hours ago, ross163103 said:

Enough of the back and forth banter on this subject from me. By the way Hawker9000 I've sent my donation to St Judes--see attached receipt. If you'd like to help the street dog issue instead of just commenting on it, you can donate to the man listed below, and no, I'm not his friend, I don't know him or who he is, just letting people know that he gets dogs off the streets, not just feeds them. So to all the posters that don't want people feeding strays, if you donate to this man it would help get them off the streets. Easy to sit behind a computer and mouth off, put your money where your mouth is.

https://www.facebook.com/themanthatrescuesdogs/

5a0c12fa23edb_StJude.thumb.JPG.ccaff368798d7f6aa44c08c362307319.JPG

A kind and worthwhile contribution IMO.  It's a good cause and children will be helped by it.  And when the children are all taken care of, I'll worry about anything beyond humane euthanization of these soi dogs.  But I'm not buying into your quid pro quo, because it's simply not one. To me it's unthinkable and downright misanthropic to take a dollar of charity and give it to someone taking care of "needy dogs" when there are so many sick, crippled, hungry, homeless, dying children.   

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

But I'm not buying into your quid pro quo, because it's simply not one. To me it's unthinkable and downright misanthropic to take a dollar of charity and give it to someone taking care of "needy dogs" when there are so many sick, crippled, hungry, homeless, dying children.   

That is your opinion, but either one is a good deed. :smile:

19 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

That is your opinion, but either one is a good deed. :smile:

My gripe really isn't with him so much as with those feeding the soi dogs, which is how the dialog actually began.   I don't consider contributions to someone taking them in, as he says he does, "charity" as much as just a special interest to be honest.  But to equate the welfare of soi dogs with the welfare of children and pass them both off as nothing more than rival "opinions" is sick.    At least giving to the caretaker comes closer to being a solution, although we have no idea what eventually becomes of them or whether they'll at some point just wind up back on the streets again. To be feeding them there in the street however, is just a lure for more of the dogs, ensures the problem will continue and get worse, and is irresponsible and reprehensible.

6 hours ago, inThailand said:

More TV fighters than dog  biters I suspect?

Enough dog biters to do something about it. Just one child getting bitten by a stray would, as the cliche goes, be one too many.

Any person who feeds a stray or in any way betters the life of that stray on the streets is culpable in any stray dog attack. These dogs must be removed from the streets.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:11 PM, seancbk said:

Good luck finding a Thai vet who will euthanise a suffering animal let alone suggest that Thais round up all soi dogs and euthanise them.

I

Not so difficult as you would think. In Pattaya I know one vet who has told me that he will euthanize a dog that is suffering and has no hope of recovery. In Pattaya I had a vet euthanize a suffering cat with no hope of recovery. There are also plenty of doctors and nurses in private hospitals who will delay treatment of people who can't afford to pay .

On 11/14/2017 at 11:47 PM, Rc2702 said:

I'd like the dogs more if they bit a few more non feeding evil farangs. I'd consider paying them actually.

So because some people don't feed dogs they deserve to be bitten. What a strange person you are.

5 hours ago, Keesters said:
On 11/14/2017 at 12:11 PM, seancbk said:

Good luck finding a Thai vet who will euthanise a suffering animal let alone suggest that Thais round up all soi dogs and euthanise them.

I

Not so difficult as you would think. In Pattaya I know one vet who has told me that he will euthanize a dog that is suffering and has no hope of recovery. In Pattaya I had a vet euthanize a suffering cat with no hope of recovery. There are also plenty of doctors and nurses in private hospitals who will delay treatment of people who can't afford to pay .

A couple of years back I tried to help a Thai woman who was desperately trying to find a vet in Bangkok who would euthanize her cat that had late stage kidney disease (if my memory is right).  
The woman was really distressed about her cat suffering and the cat was obviously in a bad way.   A lot of people (Thais and Farangs, through Facebook) tried to help but no-one could find a vet here that would do it, they all claimed it was against Buddhist teachings and would only give the cat medication.   

15 hours ago, seancbk said:

A couple of years back I tried to help a Thai woman who was desperately trying to find a vet in Bangkok who would euthanize her cat that had late stage kidney disease (if my memory is right).  
The woman was really distressed about her cat suffering and the cat was obviously in a bad way.   A lot of people (Thais and Farangs, through Facebook) tried to help but no-one could find a vet here that would do it, they all claimed it was against Buddhist teachings and would only give the cat medication.   

Our vet offered to euthanize our cat when he was in really bad shape. I did not talk to her. One of my employees did. The cat went to the office when he was very sick and never came back.

Another time, our girl cat was having babies and having some sort of problem. The vet asked if we were more concerned about the cat or the kittens and she was returned to us with no babies. I have always assumed that they were aborted. Some Thai vets will put them out of their misery.