UK passport for Thai-UK baby

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why not just apply for a UK passport? That will establish his citizenship and has nothing to do with the Embassy in the Philippines - it's done in Liverpool.

Perhaps the issue is with your son's citizenship as he may be British by descent which would mean he cannot pass on his citizenship to his child if they are born overseas

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There is no piont in prolonging this.  You don't know the details, so you can't really comment can you?  My advice to the OP is to be forwarned about the need for a DNA test, end of. Bored with this now.

There is no piont in prolonging this.  You don't know the details, so you can't really comment can you?  My advice to the OP is to be forwarned about the need for a DNA test, end of. Bored with this now.

It's a forum; we're supposed to comment and try to help each other. Of course you're free to ignore the advice of those of us who have been through similar situations!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I can only pass on what has been our experience.  My son's daughter was born in the Philippines  2 years ago, the mother is Philippine and they have been living together for 6 years.  he is of course a British Citizen.  He went to the Embassy to register the birth and they were adamant that he needed an independent DNA test to prove paternity, despite his name being on the Phills Birth Certificate.  Despite getting that evidence,  they would not register the child as British. stating that they needed further evidence, but not as yet stipulating what that is to be.   That is  still the situation and the authorities are just sitting on the application.  We now have lawyers in on it and its costing a bomb.  There is as yet no sign of movement.  It can be pain sailing I guess, but that is not what we are seeing.  I am not an authority ion the regs, its how they are being applied in our case.  For warned is forearmed is all that I am saying.  

I am not disputing what you say happened to your son.

However, his situation is not the norm; far from it and I'm sorry, but his experience does not mean everybody will have the same and is no basis for saying

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:47 AM, Pilotman said:

You will need a DNA test certificate, to prove your parentage!  Dont underestimate the dfifficulties with this process.  You may well need professional advice and support from an immigation lawyer in the UK.

His experience is unusual; maybe there is something you are not telling us or he is not telling you. 

Are he and his girlfriend, the child's mother, married?

Is he British otherwise than by descent (i.e. born in the UK or a qualifying territory)?

As already said; registering the birth at the British embassy is entirely optional, and doing so or not has no bearing on the child's entitlement to a British passport; Register a birth abroad

You don’t need to register with the UK authorities but it means:

• the birth will be recorded with the General Register Offices or at the National Records Office of Scotland
  • you can order a consular birth registration certificate

You can still apply for a UK passport for your child even if you don’t register the birth in the UK.

14 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I can only pass on what has been our experience.  My son's daughter was born in the Philippines  2 years ago, the mother is Philippine and they have been living together for 6 years.  he is of course a British Citizen.  He went to the Embassy to register the birth and they were adamant that he needed an independent DNA test to prove paternity, despite his name being on the Phills Birth Certificate.  Despite getting that evidence,  they would not register the child as British. stating that they needed further evidence, but not as yet stipulating what that is to be.   That is  still the situation and the authorities are just sitting on the application.  We now have lawyers in on it and its costing a bomb.  There is as yet no sign of movement.  It can be pain sailing I guess, but that is not what we are seeing.  I am not an authority ion the regs, its how they are being applied in our case.  For warned is forearmed is all that I am saying.  

What is your son trying to achieve by registering the birth at an embassy? If you want to register a foreign birth you do that by sending the relevant documents to the UK. You won't get a UK birth certificate though - you get a registration certificate, which in itself does not confer UK citizenship. You cannot even use this certificate to apply for a UK passport.

All that is needed is for your son to apply for a UK passport for your granddaughter. That's it, job done.

No need for the registration, no need for the lawyers, it's that simple.

Edited by blackcab
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

Submitting all my stuff this week, just need to check something about the payment, I just print and then fill this in and submit it at Trendy along with everything else right?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190989/OS_Payment__Instruction_07.13.pdf

Yes that is all I did but it needs to be a credit or debt card that allows overseas use

• Like 1