Is life in Ubon boring?

ssergione

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to digress. I arrived in Ubon (Saen Suk, Warin) in 2009. Started renting with my previous girlfriend in a decent 3 bed-roomed, air-conned, gaff with a decent garden.

Relationship fell apart, but met a lady from the village, so maintained the lease agreement even though she has her own pad 600 metres down the road.

Now, in 2017, I have extended the lease though to 2020. This place is sacrosanct to me. The monthly rental is not much more (in monetary terms) than I was paying for a bed-sit in Watford, UK in 1981!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep; 25 quid a week then, 7,000 baht a month now.

So; I think you'll agree at my enthusiasm in being a "Rent Boy".

Long may it live!

22 minutes ago, DreamRider said:

Sorry to digress. I arrived in Ubon (Saen Suk, Warin) in 2009. Started renting with my previous girlfriend in a decent 3 bed-roomed, air-conned, gaff with a decent garden.

Relationship fell apart, but met a lady from the village, so maintained the lease agreement even though she has her own pad 600 metres down the road.

Now, in 2017, I have extended the lease though to 2020. This place is sacrosanct to me. The monthly rental is not much more (in monetary terms) than I was paying for a bed-sit in Watford, UK in 1981!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep; 25 quid a week then, 7,000 baht a month now.

So; I think you'll agree at my enthusiasm in being a "Rent Boy".

Long may it live!

Thank you for feedback.

Many houses available for 7000/month at Ubon ?

Do you also think that it is easy to find land to buy ?

6 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

Thank you for feedback.

I got a couple of blocks of land  near the city if you want to buy  the 2 side by side and u get build a nice house and no neighbours and close to everything  about 10 minutes from schools hospitals shops ( central plaza)

17 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

I got a couple of blocks of land  near the city if you want to buy  the 2 side by side and u get build a nice house and no neighbours and close to everything  about 10 minutes from schools hospitals shops ( central plaza)

6 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

Thank you for feedback.

I wouldn't have thought too many @ 7,000 / month. Probably nearer the 10,000 mark for what we live in. We just drove around until we saw this place for sale. My GF called the number on the sign, we offered two years up front and they accepted. The house changed ownership about a year or so later but the current house owners are superb; I never see them. 

Same with land, it is available, just drive around.

"Happyman58"'s suggestion above looks good!

On 17/11/2017 at 8:23 AM, ubonjoe said:

I can remember it being pretty hot in Pattaya when I stayed there. I couple of degrees is not a lot.

Much of the perceived heat in Pattaya (and other seaside areas) is due to the higher humidity brought on by the proximity of the sea. In fact the actual temperature in Pattaya is usually much lower than it would be in many inland places at low altitude: it just feels hotter due to the higher humidity.

The effect does vary from person to person.

1 hour ago, DreamRider said:

I wouldn't have thought too many @ 7,000 / month. Probably nearer the 10,000 mark for what we live in. We just drove around until we saw this place for sale. My GF called the number on the sign, we offered two years up front and they accepted. The house changed ownership about a year or so later but the current house owners are superb; I never see them. 

Same with land, it is available, just drive around.

"Happyman58"'s suggestion above looks good!

Yeah 7000 u get very ordinary house 10,000 so much better to live comfortable Great when u dont see the owners  no hassle

I have recently moved to Ubon from Bangkok about 6 months already and I must say that the people here have been friendly and very helpful. I lived and worked in Buriram for a year before and my experiences there were not all that great. I definitely like it here more. It's just me, my wife and our 9 month old daughter and we are happy here. Boring?? It all depends what you are looking for. The hardest part about living here has been finding quality food, we live in a district not too far from Amphoe Muang and we constantly have to drive to the city to find food. Ubon is more of a 'laidback' city, serves me well as I just want to be alone with my family around nature. 

30 minutes ago, BrownShrike said:

I have recently moved to Ubon from Bangkok about 6 months already and I must say that the people here have been friendly and very helpful. I lived and worked in Buriram for a year before and my experiences there were not all that great. I definitely like it here more. It's just me, my wife and our 9 month old daughter and we are happy here. Boring?? It all depends what you are looking for. The hardest part about living here has been finding quality food, we live in a district not too far from Amphoe Muang and we constantly have to drive to the city to find food. Ubon is more of a 'laidback' city, serves me well as I just want to be alone with my family around nature. 

So many websites to order western food.

And if you do not want to die quickly, better not eat any of the local Thai food...

On 11/17/2017 at 4:53 AM, MeMock said:

Apart from the corrupt umpiring.... :post-4641-1156693976:

This scourge has to be eradicated from our beloved game. Thankfully there are some amongst us strong enough to voice their opinions and raise their placards. The net is being pulled in; Sisaket FC are the latest (amongst the 12) to have their collars felt. 

On 11/20/2017 at 8:31 PM, EcigAmateur said:

So many websites to order western food.

And if you do not want to die quickly, better not eat any of the local Thai food...

Ha ha. Better not speak any Thai or form any relationships either then. All far more risky than living in falangland!

30 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Ha ha. Better not speak any Thai or form any relationships either then. All far more risky than living in falangland!

Not related. People who still don't know how local foods from local restaurants or or street foods are dangerous should use google more.

3 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

Not related. People who still don't know how local foods from local restaurants or or street foods are dangerous should use google more.

Wow. I must be lucky to still be alive after eating local food for the past 15 years. LOL. Processed western food will definitely get you quicker.

3 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

I use googles every time before eating in a restaurant. Not because I'm afraid of the local food, but because my eyes need help to read the menu. :whistling: 

Btw. I've been in Isaan eating local cuisine for more than 13 years.

Edited by bergen

I use googles every time before eating in a restaurant. Not because I'm afraid of the local food, but because my eyes need help to read the menu. :whistling: 

That explains a lot (Joke)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, bergen said:

Food is ok here in Ubon Just the bloody beer gets me That Leo and Chang be the worst beer i ever drank

19 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Food is ok here in Ubon Just the bloody beer gets me That Leo and Chang be the worst beer i ever drank

Same problem all over Thailand. Except in Bangkok where craft beer bars are opening up like crazy. Though a bit pricey. 

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Same problem all over Thailand. Except in Bangkok where craft beer bars are opening up like crazy. Though a bit pricey. 

Several craft beer places in Ubon already, and more to come, but I'm ok with Singha or Beer Lao. :burp:

Ricco Caf''' and Ubon Tap Taste House are 2 examples of places selling craft beers............

Edited by bergen

I tried Ubon for 3 months and was underwhelmed. I tried to like it, but it feels to me at some point this town has had the stuffing knocked out it, and it hasn’t recovered.

Difficult to walk anywhere, the place is strictly designed for cars. A distinct lack of green space, gardens and recreational places for families or exercise, even just places to sit and relax. The Mun River is the jewel of the crown but is terribly underdeveloped, under-utilised and neglected. A simple boardwalk or cycling track along the river bank would transform this city and give it some much needed vibrancy.

Sadly everyone just stays in their cars. You don’t see pedestrians in Ubon, the infrastructure is rundown and the footpaths can swallow you whole. There’s no local bus service, only taxis and songtaews. Difficult to get a taxi after dark.

The old town is all Chinese and I was surprised how little food options there are there. The place should be buzzing with hot pot and bbq, but after dark it all shuts down behind their metal shutters. On the plus side the Chinese seem to have managed to rid the streets of all dogs. In places like Warim however they are an ever present menace.

The central park in town is in a constant state of neglect and disrepair, as is the outdoor gym equipment which is rusted and dangerous. The moat surrounding the park is a sad looking remnant of better days.

The street food beside the main park in town is not particularly inviting and the night markets are dull. Like a lot of towns in Thailand, Ubon is completely overrun with traffic. There’s very few places to go to get away from the noise. It’s a town with big potential, but it feels like people have given up. There’s a distinct lack of cultural activities, street music and street art, apart from Loi Krathong and the Candle Festival. The museum and library are under-utilised and devoid of patrons. I went to the museum and I was the only person there. I get the feeling Ubonites prefer to go to Central Plaza which is sad.

I gave it a go there, but for me beach towns offer a better alternative.

On ‎24‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 12:29 PM, bergen said:

Several craft beer places in Ubon already, and more to come, but I'm ok with Singha or Beer Lao. :burp:

Ricco Caf''' and Ubon Tap Taste House are 2 examples of places selling craft beers............

And of course you can have Guinness and Carlsberg on tap at Ubon Irish Pub..............

"Peppers" has a few quaffable ones (German lagers particularly) in the beer fridge too. Dunno whether "Saloon Coffee and Bar" at the western end of Pitchitrangsan Rd has restocked up to the level of its once-promising drinks menu yet ??!! The beer inspectors should be called in for a report :smile: 

26 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

"Peppers" has a few quaffable ones (German lagers particularly) in the beer fridge too. Dunno whether "Saloon Coffee and Bar" at the western end of Pitchitrangsan Rd has restocked up to the level of its once-promising drinks menu yet ??!! The beer inspectors should be called in for a report :smile: 

And The Outside Inn now promotes Budweiser, Leffe, Paulaner, Franziskaner, Corona, Hoegarden, Beer Lao, and a couple of ciders! :smile: