True or more CM Immigration rubbish ?

jonwilly

Having brunch this morning I sat down with 2 local businessmen.

One had just returned from an out of country trip.

As part of the conversation he says, he had done his visit to Immigration Promanada and registered his return.

Your TM 30 says I.

No, now you have to go down immigration and tell them your back in country within 24-48 hrs.

Eh says I, new to me, for management my Condo do my TM 30 so I don't visit Immigration.

B1,600 fine if you don't.

Now I will go visit Assist Thai Visa come Monday, no problem for me but is the above correct or just another misguided tale.

john

I went to prom top floor the day I got back..five hi Ute's, new stamp in the tn39 already in my passport.  I paid the fine last year, when I filed.  Yes 1600.  Condo could do it again , but eventually, you may need a true hardcopy in your passport to get an e,tension of permission to stay.  

Edited by BuddyDean

Numerous threads on tv and just this forum about TM30.

Why would you need an agent? It's a free process unless last arrival had not been reported within the required time frame and then the 1600baht fine would probably apply.

I suppose you could hire an agent to pay the fine for you if there is one due! :smile:

Edited by Thailand

If you go to Prom and report your return to Thailand, That is

your TM30 report ?,just show the officer your passport,with me,

they just tipex out the last date and write new report date,on the

slip of paper,that is torn off the bottom of the original TM 30 form,

why anyone would need an agent to do that for them,is beyond me

regards worgeordie

trying to understand this.

if I leave the country, return and my mrs files the tm30 within 24 hours do I need to go as well?

What if the tm30 filing is on line?

one thing I do know is this insistence on passport and tm6 info means the pink foreigner id card is not accepted now when you check into a hotel. 

50 minutes ago, alant said:

one thing I do know is this insistence on passport and tm6 info means the pink foreigner id card is not accepted now when you check into a hotel. 

Not true in Chiang Mai in every case. I've used my card (only) on a number of occasions. Try the ones in Soi 1 off Loh Kroh if you're stuck. If necessary, say you live here and proffer the 500 baht cash. 

On the other hand, no doubt the top hotels do insist on passport etc. I suppose it depends on the class of hotel.    

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

When you say “Go to Prom”... can you be more clear?... like which Immigration office (basement or 3rd floor), desk or officer (Is there a TM30 desk officer?) you simple went to?... Or do you need to get a queue number and sit among the masses of humanity in which case I will check out the new staff at Tian ;-)... please advise as I will have to do this after Xmas holiday ;-)

3 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Is not the Thai driver license good enough for hotels?  Has been in the past.  What about a photocopy of passport and TM6 (current departure card)?

Yeah, I'm sure photocopies would be fine as that's what the hotels do when you proffer your p/s. As I said above, it all depends on what info is required to satisfy whatever hotel you book into...

15 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

When you say “Go to Prom”... can you be more clear?... like which Immigration office (basement or 3rd floor), desk or officer (Is there a TM30 desk officer?) you simple went to?... Or do you need to get a queue number and sit among the masses of humanity in which case I will check out the new staff at Tian ;-)... please advise as I will have to do this after Xmas holiday ;-)

It's first floor across from Dukes and beyond the Amazon coffee shop. Walk in and grab a number from the desk on the right, check at the desks what number they are presently at then either take a seat or go for a wander. 

Dont mean to further muddy the ever murky waters but I abide by the 'once registered you have 7 days to renew' and I am a frequent international traveller and never an issue.

OK...now I am confused.

We are Aussies. We bought a condo in CM earlier this year. When we arrive back in CM after Christmas, should we go to Promenada, first floor, to register a TM30? If so, what documents do we need to take?

Thanks....

Top floor, bring proof of ownership, maybe a bill, also, if you don't have yellow book.  Polite girl will give you a number...not mobbed, but will take a while.  If you are simply checking in to update after returning, you don't get a number, the guy will stamp it while he is fining the others, and then call your name.  Painless five minutes.  Getting over there after a 27 hour flight sure does suck, though.

And dont think you can escape the fine by doing your first one after a trip...they will know how long you were there.

BTW used my Thai ID card in BKK Hotel, and also at money changer.

Edited by BuddyDean

1 hour ago, Mahseer said:

It's first floor across from Dukes and beyond the Amazon coffee shop. Walk in and grab a number from the desk on the right, check at the desks what number they are presently at then either take a seat or go for a wander. 

Dont mean to further muddy the ever murky waters but I abide by the 'once registered you have 7 days to renew' and I am a frequent international traveller and never an issue.

Third Floor.(top floor).you can bypass the ground floor completely

looking below at the "recently browsing" members I have to wonder how many are reading these tm30

threads and shaking their heads.   i admit i am one.  can't help thinking of abbot and costello doing

the whose on first skit.......

sorry, don't usually make comments......cause i know what i'm in store for now

I (or rather my partner) did my TM30 4 years ago and I have never updated it. I keep a copy of the receipt in my passport. My address has remained the same and I have a yellow tabian baan. Since then, I have been in and out of the country more than a dozen times. Immigration have never even mentioned my TM30 through several extensions, reentry permits, 90 day reports etc., let alone asked me to update it or fined me. So the answer to the OP is that enforcement of this all depends (but depends on what, who knows...)

6 minutes ago, neilrob said:

I (or rather my partner) did my TM30 4 years ago and I have never updated it. I keep a copy of the receipt in my passport. My address has remained the same and I have a yellow tabian baan. Since then, I have been in and out of the country more than a dozen times. Immigration have never even mentioned my TM30 through several extensions, reentry permits, 90 day reports etc., let alone asked me to update it or fined me. So the answer to the OP is that enforcement of this all depends (but depends on what, who knows...)

That is still a skeleton, and on a bad day, they will count how many times you violated the law....and multiply.  Might even be simpler to not have one than to do one and not report, when you get a new arrival card.  Probably and should be are not good words, when you are lining up for a number.

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

If there is zero wait time - no line - and you are not far from Promenada why not. But if you work and are not available

Now even more confusing... Dukes is Not on the 1st floor... and this tread IS NOT about your initial TM30 submission which requires proof of ownership but for a person with a valid TM30 that has left the country for a short period and returned and must have the TM30 updated because the have a new departure card... 

What copies or documentation is needed when going to Immigrations one stop desk on the same floor as The Dukes?....

Also will Dukes deliver pizza to the one stop waiting area? :whistling:

Edited by sfokevin

Ask your condo, hotel as well.  my condo when I arrive back in Chiang Mai they have a system set up already with immigration via a website, they take a scan of my passport, departure card send it in to immigration which in turn sends them the tm30 registration complete, they even give me a hard copy of that  which I bring with me when i do 90 reports.  perhaps not all places do it for you

1 hour ago, BuddyDean said:

That is still a skeleton, and on a bad day, they will count how many times you violated the law....and multiply.  Might even be simpler to not have one than to do one and not report, when you get a new arrival card.  Probably and should be are not good words, when you are lining up for a number.

Is this based on anything at all? Can you cite an actual case of Immigration multiplying the penalty in these circumstances? Can you cite a person who can get away in current conditions with doing an extension without ever having done a TM30? I never have heard of such and I have substantial experience here and knowledge of many others dealing with Immigration in all sorts of circumstances. Sounds like advice based on ignorance. My post was based on actual experience over a period of four years, both doing extensions etc. in person and occasionally using an agent. My most recent experience was just a couple of weeks ago...actual experience...

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Not TM 30. That's nothing to do with us. TM 28 if I remember rightly. I went to do one at the old office way back and they didn't even know what it was.

3 hours ago, neilrob said:

Only need a new TM 30 if your address changes, so I understand, but I definitely needed it when I did my last extension.

The reality is if they want to get one for something they can. Depends on their mood.

This one always puzzels me. During my 17 yrs. on a retirement ext. here, I have been home on holiday at least every year or two (sometimes two times a year). I have never reported my return within 24 hrs.

I simply go to Soi 5 Imm. 90 days after I returned and have never had a problem?

PS. I always get a re-entry permit except one occasion when I went to Malasia and forget to get it. That time I had to apply all over again for my retirement ext.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not TM 30. That's nothing to do with us. TM 28 if I remember rightly. I went to do one at the old office way back and they didn't even know what it was.

TM28 is only for internal travel in Thailand,say if you go out of the provence and

return, but they dont really bother with that now,bit of overkill, 

regards worgeordie

This post, and several others, is a good reminder of why I got a retirement visa in the Philippines and now spend 6 months in each place, using tourist visas for Thailand. I have had my Resident Retirement Visa for 7 years, I have NEVER reported/visited Immigration in that time. I don't need an entry/exit permit, I just come and go with a smile and hello from IO on the counters.  This is how retirees should be treated !! 

2 hours ago, biggles45 said:

This post, and several others, is a good reminder of why I got a retirement visa in the Philippines and now spend 6 months in each place, using tourist visas for Thailand. I have had my Resident Retirement Visa for 7 years, I have NEVER reported/visited Immigration in that time. I don't need an entry/exit permit, I just come and go with a smile and hello from IO on the counters.  This is how retirees should be treated 

Not bad, if you don't mind Juan, Jose, Pedro, and Maria living in cardboard houses.  Could get that in Mexico or any other Catholic nation. SETVs certainly are t painless, and neither are thirty day extensions, or trips to the border (probably least painful).  One pretty bad day per year for me, 1900 THB....and the TM30 monkey business, that I have taken full charge of. 

2 hours ago, biggles45 said: