Most Thais support alcohol sales ban on Buddhist holidays

rooster59

57 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Why would I want to drink alcohol at home?

Because that´s the option you have if you want or need to drink on the days talked about. Accept it or move to a place that suits you.

57 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

I read them but they don't make any sense.

As for your understanding.

53 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Thailand is not a democracy. And your concept of it - winner takes all - is not democracy.  What does Buddhism have to do with political systems? What does any of this have to do with choosing when and where you choose to order an alcoholic beverage?

Religion has everything to do with political systems. You are probebly the only one not aware of that yet. You can´t choose when to drink or order an alcoholic beverage in a resturant or bar. The rules have to do with that. Just get used to it, and your life is going to be filled with less complaints and more happiness. If you can´t do that, the last sentence in the first quote is a good advice.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/19/2017 at 7:44 AM, rooster59 said:

In the results announced on Saturday, 76.4 per cent of the respondents agreed that beer and liquor do more harm to society than good.

could not possibly care less what thais think;

only thing affects us is the inane laws that thai (quite poor) leadership dictates;

example: educational proximity laws that make absolutely no positive difference and get in the way; in the old days , when we had elections, i was informed on one occasion that i could not buy alcohol after 6pm on the day before the election, Really ?! i was polite enough to inform them i could not vote; restaurant guy said he couldnt sell me the wine but he could give it to me (he got  a really big tip)

alcohol restriction laws are an easy target ; pity there is so little thought put into them

59 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Because that´s the option you have if you want or need to drink on the days talked about. Accept it or move to a place that suits you.

Religion has everything to do with political systems. You are probebly the only one not aware of that yet. You can´t choose when to drink or order an alcoholic beverage in a resturant or bar. The rules have to do with that. Just get used to it, and your life is going to be filled with less complaints and more happiness. If you can´t do that, the last sentence in the first quote is a good advice.

"Religion has everything to do with political systems."  In Saudi, yeah (but only due to immense backwardness), in the UK, no. I'm aware this is getting very off topic.  Thanks for advising me on how my life will be filled with "more happiness"... you sound like Prayuth.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

"Because that´s the option you have if you want or need to drink on the days talked about. "... yet again, totally miss the point. 

42 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

could not possibly care less what thais think;

only thing affects us is the inane laws that thai (quite poor) leadership dictates;

example: educational proximity laws that make absolutely no positive difference and get in the way; in the old days , when we had elections, i was informed on one occasion that i could not buy alcohol after 6pm on the day before the election, Really ?! i was polite enough to inform them i could not vote; restaurant guy said he couldnt sell me the wine but he could give it to me (he got  a really big tip)

alcohol restriction laws are an easy target ; pity there is so little thought put into them

Agreed. An atavistic social appeasement pandering to a bunch of  backward lunatics that serves no purpose whatsoever and causes a regular loss of revenue for businesses as well as being a nuisance to people who have booked a holiday. 

3 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

"Because that´s the option you have if you want or need to drink on the days talked about. "... yet again, totally miss the point. 

5 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

"Religion has everything to do with political systems."  In Saudi, yeah (but only due to immense backwardness), in the UK, no. I'm aware this is getting very off topic.  Thanks for advising me on how my life will be filled with "more happiness"... you sound like Prayuth.

Just accept the rules. If you stay here you have to live with them anyway. If not, you know already. Ending this BS now!

13 hours ago, KhunMhee said:

Not an easy read. But even when the democratic governments are in power it's the same no drinking on Buddha days. If someone saves for a year and 2 days to go for a holiday I am sure 2 days not being totally drunk wont matter. Make those beach days or cultural days and visit places. Kinda seems like everyone here thinks holidays are only about drinking what that type of reply. Cheaper to stay at ones home pub and drink there I would think. 

Drinking is important to many but the freedom is more important and the point

so it does matter all unimaginable restrictions matters.

The law is only to serve and protect made by the people for the people 

But these laws are not made by the people 

And are not for the people either 

And that's why you don't see them in Democratic country's 

Their country, their rules

That's all that really matters here.

Of course, many hotels are exempt from the ban on "minor" or "less holy" buddha days.

You come to the country, you respect their customs.

If it inconveniences you that much, don't come.......innit?

I've never a tourist say, "Nah, let's blow Thailand out next year cos there'll be one day on which we won't be able to buy a beer"

8 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Their country, their rules

That's all that really matters here.

Of course, many hotels are exempt from the ban on "minor" or "less holy" buddha days.

You come to the country, you respect their customs.

If it inconveniences you that much, don't come.......innit?

I've never a tourist say, "Nah, let's blow Thailand out next year cos there'll be one day on which we won't be able to buy a beer"

Most hotels in Bangkok are not exempt, hardly any, but I agree that no one would likely change their holiday destination over it because of one day, that would be a bit strange.   

Agreed a rather stupid law , and its treating people like children, but in reality,

Thais, buddhist or not, that want to buy beer or drink will do (mom and pop shops hardly ever close or stop selling)

Likewise expats have knowledge to find places to buy or drink, or plan ahead

So It only really effects the bona fide tourist /travellers who are not aware of the ways around these things,and probably would have no idea about buddhist dry days. Of course some of these tourist could be staying in nice  hotel and will not take too kindly not having a glass of wine with their meal

Lastly the shop in our village, lady who owns it is one of the "buddhist rent a mob" at the local temple, her dad is a monk....and i have never know here not to sell on any dry day. 

Edited by poohy

It is bad for "happy time" tourists, but lots of tourist places stop alcohol sales for elections and religious days. The internet can tell you when and where if you are booking a holiday.

I have no problem with a few Buddhist days being no sale, but this crazy old law resurrected in the Toxin time administration of restricted hours is a pain in the butt day to day just from the shopping point of view.

Laws and the enforcement of them here is a joke.

But in a nation with a population of irresponsible adolescent mentality it is hardly surprising.

They know, but they couldn't care less, poll result of not.

:drunk:

58 minutes ago, transam said:

Out of curiosity, is there something written in Buddhist stuff about not drinking beer on specific days or is it the big stick from others....?

34 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Good question... not sure.

Did Buddha like a beer under the banyan tree?

Wow!

I think we have song, anyone got a guitar?

Seriously, I have no idea but I expect alcohol laws have nothing to do with Buddhism.

Please someone, enlighten us!

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Laws and the enforcement of them here is a joke.

But in a nation with a population of irresponsible adolescent mentality it is hardly surprising.

One wonders what on earth could make you want to live in a country with these people..

Oh..... silly me.

Of course

13 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Most hotels in Bangkok are not exempt, hardly any, but I agree that no one would likely change their holiday destination over it because of one day, that would be a bit strange.   

Right so why is it that, every dry day, there's a cacophony of whining from farangs centered on the acute inconvenience visited upon tourists being prevented from buying alcohol?

I mean, from what I've read on this forum, tourists are generally viewed with disdain by the forum membership.

Is it just an other excuse for people to whinge and moan?

Edited by Thai Ron

All and all. Thailand in currently not a democracy. So you don't always get the freedom of choice. Sad yes but a fact we have to live with if we are going to live here. All the back in forth debating means nothing as it seems there are two groups. Those that don't like it yet accept it. And those that don't like it but would rather complain about it. It's the road of life people build a bridge and get over it. Makes one wonder why people decided to move from their own countries to come here. Their country their rules. When immigrants settle in your home country and try to change things to the way they are used to does it not upset you? And before the you're not getting the point. Yes yes I do I just have decided to accept it and move on with my life. 

7 minutes ago, KhunMhee said:

it seems there are two groups. Those that don't like it yet accept it. And those that don't like it but would rather complain about it.

Add a third group

Those that don't give a toss either way

If they sell alcohol, great

If they don't sell alcohol, great

41 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Right so why is it that, every dry day, there's a cacophony of whining from farangs centered on the acute inconvenience visited upon tourists being prevented from buying alcohol?

I mean, from what I've read on this forum, tourists are generally viewed with disdain by the forum membership.

I suspect there are a few tourist nationalities where it is the norm to have a glass of vino with meals..I think the word "alcohol" is a bit OTT..

Your "tourist" comment is a bit OTT as most of here are, we have no immigrant status..:stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

I suspect there are a few tourist nationalities where it is the norm to have a glass of vino with meals..I think the word "alcohol" is a bit OTT..

Your "tourist" comment is a bit OTT as most of here are, we have no immigrant status..:stoner:

OTT?

What the hell are you talking about?

Could well do there is an acronym for most anything now. Either way this topic is dead. Either people will understand or just choose to be bitter about it. Though I do think it would be rather humorous if a few went to say Victory Monument and held a " I want to drink on Buddha Holidays " Signs   

1 minute ago, KhunMhee said:

Could well do there is an acronym for most anything now. Either way this topic is dead. Either people will understand or just choose to be bitter about it. Though I do think it would be rather humorous if a few went to say Victory Monument and held a " I want to drink on Buddha Holidays " Signs   

Wine is involved with Christianity/ Catholicism, deaths, marriages, births, toasts of respect etc...I just want to know the reason why a glass of vino cannot be sold on a Buddha day....There must be a reason...

7 minutes ago, transam said:

A commonly used shortened version of "Over The Top"...:smile:

Quite why the terms "tourist" and "alcohol" would be considered "OTT" in a topic dealing with restricted alcohol sales and those most likely to be affected by them is beyond me but to be honest, I don't want to encourage you because I think, most of the time, you just comment because you feel you ought to, not because you actually have anything remotely pertinent to say.

Edited by Thai Ron

2 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Quite why the terms "tourist" and "alcohol" would be considered "OTT" in a topic dealing with restricted alcohol sales and those most likely to be affected by them is beyond me but to be honest, I don't want to encourage you because I think you just comment because you feel you ought to, not because you actually have anything remotely pertinent to say.

Wow, sorry l posted oh wise one...tongue.gif.156f9aeee39def5c4bbbadf2ab4d18d0.gif

On 11/19/2017 at 7:55 AM, darksidedog said:

I'm all for no alcohol sales near schools and I agree with their assessment on drink driving, but I am going to dissent, as I am sure many farang will, on the issue of no grog on Buddha days. There are just too many of them. If you are Buddhist, by all means refrain on holy days, but enforcing it on others, especially tourists, isn't nice.

"Buddha days. There are just too many of them."

All three of them, wow.

9 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

I can only speak for myself but I don't view tourists with disdain at all. Why would anyone? I don't think it's whining, I think it's just people pointing out that it's a stupid law that serves no purpose.