Urgent. Vientien tourist visa no baht

I want to collect my tourist visa tomorrow afternoon from the Thai embassy Vientian, however, i have only 1500 baht left and the visa costs 2000, to make matters worse i have learnt that the embassy only accept baht. I need to withdraw some money from an atm here using my Bangkok bank visa card and then exchange for baht somewhere. I asked in a few money exchangers but they only have kip...

Sent from my SM-J105B using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

I asked in a few money exchangers but they only have kip...

They have baht okay, don't worry about that, and they want to retain it.  Who wants Kip?  Not even the Laotians.  Might be worth trying to garner some sympathy from a kind hearted tourist.  I hope you manage to sort it out, nonetheless.  

Edited by Here It Is
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone, my hotel receptionist kindly said she will exchange some kip for me. [emoji5]
Now i would just like to clarify the cost of my visa...
On the form i stated that i want a single entry visa with a validity of 2 months plus the option to extend one month in chaeng wattana, this is the tourist visa, right? And if so, is it not 2000 baht?

18 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

On the form i stated that i want a single entry visa with a validity of 2 months plus the option to extend one month in chaeng wattana, this is the tourist visa, right? And if so, is it not 2000 baht?

A single entry tourst visa is 1000 baht.

VISA APPLICATION CHARGES

VISA CATEGORY Fee (per entry per person)
VISITOR ( TRANSIT ) 800 Thai Baht
VISITOR ( TOURIST ) 1,000 Thai Baht
NON-IMMIGRANT ( Single Entry ) 2,000 Thai Baht
NON-IMMIGRANT ( Multiple Entries ) 5,000 Thai Baht (ONLY for Resident Applicants)

Source: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/consular/visa.php

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sambo5000 said:

Its confusing, the tourist visa is 1000 baht but it doesnt say single entry, unlike the non imm whisch costs 2000 baht with single entry

A single entry tourist visa is the only one they will issue.

2 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

Its confusing, the tourist visa is 1000 baht but it doesnt say single entry, unlike the non imm whisch costs 2000 baht with single entry

You can only get single entry tourist visa, for multiple entry you must apply in your country of residence. 

5 hours ago, Grauwulf said:

To the OP remember you may have to show 20000 baht in cash to the IO of proof of funds on a tourist visa. Not heard of it happening on a land border yet but you never know.....

This is fairly common coming in from Malaysian land-crossings.  At Sadao, it used to be "show the 20K or bribe me" - then they got busted on the bribe-scheme (twice, by Bangkok), and started demanding to see the 20K from everyone - even Non-O holders.  At Pedang Besar, they used to never ask for it (I never was, multiple times going on years - visas and exempts), but have been reported as asking to see it more recently.

It is not reported coming in from Laos or Cambodia - though it could happen (it's a public-record rule) - one exception being Poipet/Aranya.  But outright refusal of entry based on an imaginary rule they make-up on-the-spot is more likely if coming from Poipet, so best to avoid that crossing entirely.

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

This is fairly common coming in from Malaysian land-crossings.  At Sadao, it used to be "show the 20K or bribe me" - then they got busted on the bribe-scheme (twice, by Bangkok), and started demanding to see the 20K from everyone - even Non-O holders.  At Pedang Besar, they used to never ask for it (I never was, multiple times going on years - visas and exempts), but have been reported as asking to see it more recently.

It is not reported coming in from Laos or Cambodia - though it could happen (it's a public-record rule) - one exception being Poipet/Aranya.  But outright refusal of entry based on an imaginary rule they make-up on-the-spot is more likely if coming from Poipet, so best to avoid that crossing entirely.

Poipet is fine if arriving alone by car (they have a separate lane for car arrivals) though I realise very few foreigners are going to be coming to Thailand via Aran/Poipet by car, but just stating that this has been my experience. Arriving on one of the direct cross-border bus services (Siem Reap-Bangkok or Phnom Penh-Bangkok) should also work, as it's less likely immigration would cause trouble for a foreigner on a bus that is waiting for them on the other side of the border. Avoid Aran/Poipet only if you are a foot passenger who is changing transport modes at the border.

Plenty of money changers in Vientiane will exchange Kip for Baht hassle-free and without asking for any documentation. Most of these money changers are near the riverside either on Settathilat or Samsenthai road, there are others on the main drag leading up to the Patuxai and near the morning market. Don't approach banks, because since a law was passed a couple of years ago to force all businesses across the country to display prices only in Kip and encourage the use of Kip, banks require all sorts of documentation if you want to exchange your Kip to a foreign currency (as in Vietnam). For example, an airline ticket to the country of destination is required and then they usually only sell you the currency of that country, not just any currency you would like to purchase.

Money changers don't follow this regulation.

11 hours ago, jimster said:

... banks require all sorts of documentation if you want to exchange your Kip to a foreign currency (as in Vietnam). For example, an airline ticket to the country of destination is required and then they usually only sell you the currency of that country, not just any currency you would like to purchase.

This is true in Vientiane, now?  I have always needed to show a passport and fill out a form, but beyond that, no problem.  Granted, I haven't done this in at banks in the middle of town the last ~15 mo.

There is a bank inside the Lao checkpoint area which does exchanges - where have I always dumped my kip before returning to Thailand (including just a few mo ago).  But perhaps this one operates under a different rule-set.

11 hours ago, jimster said:

... money changers are near the riverside either on Settathilat or Samsenthai road, there are others on the main drag leading up to the Patuxai and near the morning market.

Good info - thanks for this alternative. 

On 11/24/2017 at 11:37 AM, JackThompson said:

This is true in Vientiane, now?  I have always needed to show a passport and fill out a form, but beyond that, no problem.  Granted, I haven't done this in at banks in the middle of town the last ~15 mo.

There is a bank inside the Lao checkpoint area which does exchanges - where have I always dumped my kip before returning to Thailand (including just a few mo ago).  But perhaps this one operates under a different rule-set.

Good info - thanks for this alternative. 

All over the country now. Given that money changers are everywhere, why bother with banks who make it complicated? Not to mention how much quicker it is to deal with money changers; at most you have to fill out a form and usually you don't need to show any ID either.

The "bank" at the border crossing is a money changer operated by a bank. Obviously they won't need any special documentation (other than your passport) as they know you are heading for Thailand. Although they do currency exchanges other than Baht-Kip, I can't see any reason for wanting any currency other than Baht given you are heading into Thailand there - there is also little demand and they will only have enough foreign currency based on what other travelers have exchanged, so if you ask for US$5000 or 1000 Euros they probably won't have that much on hand - US$300, probably yes, 100 Euros yes. Travelers often exchange non-Baht currencies for Kip at the border when entering the country though.

• Like 1