Why do I need to take a DRIVING and exam if I have a valid Brazilian drivers license and and valid international driving permit ?

Isac Szwarc Brasil

Good afternoon to all.

Went this morning to Traffic Department in Phuket Town, had all the papers they wanted to get a Thai drivers license ,including my brazilian drivers license and an  official international permit for driving ,also valid until 2020 , passed  the reaction exam and colour testing . When they finished checking that everything was OK , I was told that I need to come back Dec 12 , for a 5 hours video,pass and exam and if I pass ,then I can go to take the driving test.That surprised me ,because I read in many forums that if you posses an International valid driving permit  , you will not need to take a driving test.What is the correct orientation ?

Thanks for any comments.

Isac,Brasil.

It may depend on Location/Home country/Officer on the day

Yes your right in having read many different stories as I got mine after the colour/depth/reaction test - Watched 30 minutes of video - Medical Cert 

On a Aussie License with NO Int. Nat. Drv. Per.

I think you are correct... you don't need to do the Exam or the Test. 

I think that with a Valid Drivers license from your home country and a Valid IDP you only need to: 

1) Do a quick color blindness test 

2) Depth of field test

3) Emergency break test 

4) Sit through the video (approx 40 mins)

All or this should not take longer than a couple of hours.

Unless of course for some reason they consider the Brazilian drivers license and IDP differently than others - but more realistically you just dealt with the wrong person - its as simple as that. 

Edited by richard_smith237

4 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Thanks, I have passed the tests there , but was not given a video to watch. Is there anythink I can do ? Should I complain to a superior there  ?

Yep... pushing it up the chain a little may get the result you want.... You may well find yourself speaking to someone who is sympathetic and avoids you wasting your time. Equally so you may end up talking with someone on the other end of the spectrum. 

If you are not too far away from the DLT it is well worth a return visit to try and resolve this. At least find out why YOU have to do the test when someone from the UK or Australia for example, do not have to under the same circumstances. 

I think that out of many types of International Driving Permits, Thailand recognize 1949 convention.

Does your IDP carry the 1949 convention on the cover?

ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENSE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS NOT IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)

Source

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

Edited by sanmyintmaung

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep... pushing it up the chain a little may get the result you want.... You may well find yourself speaking to someone who is sympathetic and avoids you wasting your time. Equally so you may end up talking with someone on the other end of the spectrum. 

If you are not too far away from the DLT it is well worth a return visit to try and resolve this. At least find out why YOU have to do the test when someone from the UK or Australia for example, do not have to under the same circumstances. 

Thank you , but I am a little bit affraid if I go there and will make things even worse ???? I would not argue or be unpolite with them ,this for sure.

12 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

I think that out of many types of International Driving Permits, Thailand recognize 1949 convention.

Does your IDP carry the 1949 convention on the cover?

ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENSE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS NOT IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)

Source

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

Thanks , my valid IDP states the VIENNA  convention ,Nov 1968.Is this the reason for having me to take the exams and driving test ? 

4 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Thanks , my valid IDP states the VIENNA  convention ,Nov 1968.Is this the reason for having me to take the exams and driving test ? 

The 1968 convention (original)

The Convention on Road Traffic has been ratified by 72 countries. Examples of countries that have not ratified the Convention include Chile, Taiwan (Republic of China), Costa Rica, Ecuador, the Holy See, Indonesia, Ireland, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Venezuela.

5 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

The 1968 convention (original)

The Convention on Road Traffic has been ratified by 72 countries. Examples of countries that have not ratified the Convention include Chile, Taiwan (Republic of China), Costa Rica, Ecuador, the Holy See, Indonesia, Ireland, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Venezuela.

Thanks , know I understand.Clarify now.

When I got my first (one year)  Thai license I had to take the written / computer test even though I had a valid US Drivers license

This was at the main Land Transport Office in Bangkok, near Chatachuk market

The only thing my US license did for me, was that I did not have to take a driving test for either a Thai car or motorcycle license 

On 11/22/2017 at 3:25 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I think that with a Valid Drivers license from your home country and a Valid IDP you only need to: 

1) Do a quick color blindness test 

2) Depth of field test

3) Emergency break test 

4) Sit through the video (approx 40 mins)

Like most Government departments---their just a law unto themselves & can differ anywhere in Thailand, have been here nearly 20 years went to renew License and they told me I had to do the above....I am just renewing it once again, my 20 year old Thai licence  yes you have to do this to renew-- one thing learnt is its quicker to do something than to argue....into the video room with all the ones that were to take the driving test---every person was reviewing their Mobil phone & texting --some went to the toilet for an extended time, no one watched the video....do the emergence brake/colour test etc line up for photo, get told why you do this you have licence....Bor pen yang....see you in 5 years.

On 22.11.2017 at 9:16 AM, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Maybe I went to the wrong place on a wrong day  ????

No, you did not. I had the same issue about 2 weeks ago with my national and international driving licence. The lady told me to do all the tests bla bla...

Thank you, by.

Next day i talked with someone in Patong and that person told me to do a translation of my national driving licence to englisch by the consulate in Phuket. Thats all what is needed to get the conversion into a thai licence withouth passing all the requested practical + theoretical tests

I did it and went again to the Licence Department in Phuket together with the certificate of residence + health certificate.

The only thing i had to do now was to watch a video, do some reaction + eye test. Finished all in ~1h and got my car+motorbike driving licence in Phuket Town.

Edited by Crisu

Just remembered

When wife & I went to do mine the women first mentioned I would have to put my name in the book for driving test (the list was a mile long )& that amounted to about a 1 mth wait 

So then I remembered what other Posters had written & jumped on the opportunity of mentioning that i had an Auss Lisc 

From then I was directed to another floor & all went well ( I'm sure they did check on the Auss Lisc whilst watching video ) , as they asked if I only wanted a car Lisc ( I was good for a truck lisc )