Entertainment Around Chiang Mai ?

princealbert

Hello to all you fellow changers

My wife and i have a close friend and his 10 year old daughter coming to visit us for a month or so in early April. Our friend will be wanting to spend some of his time alone with his newly found Thai love i am sure. :o

So we have to fill in as temporary parents now i am 45 and still pretty fit but now enjoying the more relaxed way of life (not for long i hear you cry) my quest is to make this holiday as memorable as i can for everyone.

We have only been here 6 months and are still finding our favourite eateries so know nothing of what excitement we can bring to this very active, very girly 10 year old.

All recommendatioins gratefully welcomed

Well for what I can think of (others can out an addition) there is:

The Chiang Mai Zoo, it's a bit of a walk since it's on a side of a mountain, but I took my students on a fieldtrip there and they loved it.

The night Safari was so-so

Some of my students loved the Royal flora, but towards they end complained of walking and heat.

The elephant camps/ animal shows could be fun as well.

Thats honostly all I can think of now, I know they are not the greatest suggestions though

BTW I teach 9-10 year olds.

The Chiang Mai Zoo, it's a bit of a walk since it's on a side of a mountain, but I took my students on a fieldtrip there and they loved it.

Some of my students loved the Royal flora, but towards they end complained of walking and heat.

Thats honostly all I can think of now, I know they are not the greatest suggestions though

Chiang Mai Zoo and amimal shows are on the list then but are there any water parks or the likes within driving distance ?

Chiang Mai Zoo and amimal shows are on the list then but are there any water parks or the likes within driving distance ?

There is a "lake" (Huay Thung Taew - spelling?) on the road to Mae Rim. (turn off on the left side going towards Mae Rim)

They have those peddle boats and she could also paddle about in the water.

They have tables and seats (under shelters) where you can sit, have a beer, something to eat, etc.

I would advise against going at the weekend as half the population of Chiangmai seems to be there on these days.

It's a nice spot to while away an afternoon

There is a "lake" (Huay Thung Taew - spelling?) on the road to Mae Rim. (turn off on the left side going towards Mae Rim)

They have tables and seats (under shelters) where you can sit, have a beer, something to eat, etc.

I would advise against going at the weekend as half the population of Chiangmai seems to be there on these days.

Thanks for that :o

Sounds perfect just what we are looking for.

I think we just found the number 1 of things to do so far.

Unless someone thinks different ????

Edited by princealbert

Too cold in the winter. :D

Winter ?

She is coming from the UK

People keep reacting like this, but I work out in a very busy International hotel every day and NO ONE has gone swimming for at least a month - including Canadians, Greenlanders and Alaskans.

The water is cold! :o

Is that all we have to offer here in Changers ?

Winter ?

People keep reacting like this, but I work out in a very busy International hotel every day and NO ONE has gone swimming for at least a month - including Canadians, Greenlanders and Alaskans.

She is coming in April....is the water too cold in April....the hottest time of the year?

Of course Songkran will be happening in April whether she enjoys it or not.

I suggest you ask her what she would like to do. She probably has an email account....you could introduce yourself....maybe send her some pictures of your self and wife and family....get acquainted a bit....suggest some things to do and ask her opinion....ask her what she likes to do with the understanding that it might not be available in Thailnad in April.

You might try finding a 10 year old Thai girl that speaks some English for her to meet and perhaps have fun with.

Chownah

April in CM. Scorching!

I'd seriously think about air-conditioned activities like the cinema. You also need to think about protecting her from water hooligans who would not hesitate to attack a 10-year old child during Songkran. I've seen it happen.

10 pin bowling can be fun for everyone at Kad Suan Kaew

Check the movie listings because if it is really hot then its as good a thing to do as any to keep cool.

Perhaps a bit adult for her but if she is a mature 10 year old she might enjoy a day at Thai cookery school.

Is the ice skating rink at Kad Suan Kaew still there??

Snake farm

Insect museum

Mini golf thingy

Swimming

Maybe you could arrange some tennis lessons if she's into it

If she plays the piano try and find a friend who has one nearby

Some kids who are animal crazy like taking your family dog for a walk or in my case the family dog looks after the kids.

Get some kids movies on DVD for her to watch - you won't get far at Songkran.

If she doesn't know you well , she will probably find it more fun if she can join with other kids who speak some English

Winter ?

She is coming in April....is the water too cold in April....the hottest time of the year?

The water is warm in April and I really don't think that she would have any problem during Songkran unless she became overly aggressive and started running out in the street or something of this nature.

Thais love children and most farangs are careful of hurting them, but of course there will be big crowds and she should be supervised by someone who will always pay attention to her whereabouts when the waterfight gets wild.