Sanam Luang - ID

Korat88

Just a quick question to those who have been to see where the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej was cremated at Sanam Luang. Please would you let me know if the ID you showed was always a passport? Just wondering whether a driving license would do as both my passport and work permit are with my company in preparation for my work permit renewal next week.

Thank you for any replies!

I've used my driver's license every time I've been in the Grand Palace area (three or four times, I think).  Although the last time, when I went to see the crematorium, I admit that the guards didn't seem to be paying enough attention to notice what I used.

I was there yesterday and it's very very crowded in the whole area. Loads of fuming buses all over the place, traffic stands almost still and the whole area around the palace is closed for traffic.

I didn't even know you need an ID to enter the place but i won't go back for a long time, don't go by car cause you can't even park it anywhere.

Thank you for the replies Katia and Thian. This piece in today's TV e-mailing also indicates it isn't a good idea to visit at the moment. They may extend the opening I hear so will try and go then if possible. In the meantime my wife, who is free from a job, will try to go when many people like myself are hopefully at work this week ;-)

2 hours ago, Korat88 said:

Thank you for the replies Katia and Thian. This piece in today's TV e-mailing also indicates it isn't a good idea to visit at the moment. They may extend the opening I hear so will try and go then if possible. In the meantime my wife, who is free from a job, will try to go when many people like myself are hopefully at work this week ;-)

Even on a motocycle the whole area is very hard to get through. There are closed roads, loads of coaches, taxi's/van's/cars just parked on the open roads blocking traffic, much police and temporary gates, deliverytrucks for drinks parked everywhere.....it's not easy to do anything at all in whole Chinatown at the moment.

Better go there on a cool day during the week i guess. And travel there by boat if possible. I will stay out of the area for many months from now on. Also the cleanup for streetvendors on sidewalks doesn't work well anymore, they are slowly returning and occupying major junctions on sidewalks again. I will buy the stuff i need online from now on, chinatown is overpriced anyway but i guess you go for visiting the palace.