Discoloured tile grout.

Andrew Dwyer

As the title suggests I am having some discolouration of tile grout in the shower area.

It’s a new house, I’ve lived here for 4 months and it was vacant for approx 1 year before that.

I noticed some badly done/missing grout in the bathroom so set too and sorted it. But already the grout in the shower area has discoloured, other areas in bathroom are still good ( obviously the shower gets water thrown at it several times a day ! )

I used Cotto grout ( white ) for no reason other than Homepro had a boatload of it.

Just for information: there is a small window in shower area that is open 24/7 and bathroom door stays open except at nighttime when we put bedroom air con on ( from 10pm to 7am ) so there is ventilation.

So my question is:

Anyone suggest any better brand of grout ?, any additive to the mix ? , or any tips or pointers in general ?

Thanks in advance

Andy

7 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

I used Sodium Bicarbonate mixed to a thin paste using Hydrogen Peroxide applied with a tooth brush, and then remove with water and a sponge.

Have been using Weber grout with good results.  

Yup, both sodium bicarbonate, "baking soda" and "baking powder" make good cleaning agents for certain types of stains and makes use of the product after it exceeds shelf life.

I used Sodium Bicarbonate mixed to a thin paste using Hydrogen Peroxide applied with a tooth brush, and then remove with water and a sponge.

Have been using Weber grout with good results.  

I’ve used Weber before ( in Brazil ) and found it to good, have not seen it in LOS although I’ve not looked to be honest.
Where can I find it in LOS ?

Global carry Weber
Sukkapan carry Davco
Home Pro carry Cotto

I too use the wifes toothbrush with bleach but only when she is out

Global near me under construction so will go the gf’s toothbrush route for now.

Maybe she will thank me when her teeth become pearly white [emoji848]

Any chance that there might be water seeping behind the tiles and making the grout look darker than when it is dry ? Maybe check all is dry where the 'missing grout' used to be.

I’m pretty sure it’s not water leaking although a very small leak would be difficult to trace.
I’m kinda hoping that a change of grout ( for Weber brand ) will have some results.
It would have been great if someone had said “ I had the same issue with Cotto and changed to xxxxxx brand and now all good “ [emoji14]

Maybe I’m just being a bit OCD ( I usually am ) and a bit of discolouration is normal and a swift scrubbing with the bicarb and toothbrush every couple of months is called for as others have said.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:14 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Anyone suggest any better brand of grout ?

You used the wrong kind of grout that is not intended for showers. You need Cotto Nano grout which is designed for wet areas. Since Cotto Nano grout is not porous like regular grout, mold and discoloration does not get embedded into it. If you can't find it elsewhere check an SCG outlet.

You used the wrong kind of grout that is not intended for showers. You need Cotto Nano grout which is designed for wet areas. Since Cotto Nano grout is not porous like regular grout, mold and discoloration does not get embedded into it. If you can't find it elsewhere check an SCG outlet.

Thanks for that, will check it out .

On 11/26/2017 at 12:18 PM, bankruatsteve said:

Yup, both sodium bicarbonate, "baking soda" and "baking powder" make good cleaning agents for certain types of stains and makes use of the product after it exceeds shelf life.

If the above doesn't work I usually try white vinegar, the other end of the PH scale, one or the other generally works.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the value in using swimming pool tile grout for a shower in Thailand. The Crocodile Platinum tile grout is suitable for swimming pools as well as your shower in a home you build in Thailand. The other Crocodile brand tile grouts with Microban to prevent black mold and algae would be Gold Premium Plus or Silver Premium Plus depending on the width of your tile grout in a shower or kitchen.  I have bought and also been happy with Weber Color HR for a swimming pool I own in Buriram as well as the Weber color power series of Anti-fungus anti dirt tile grout. That series of Weber are 3 digit numbers and begin with the numeral one.  It has proven helpful to me when building a home to sit and read printed catalogs in English that a builders merchants store can easily provide for free.  5a324f0f0d019_WeberTileGroutBuriramThailand001.jpg.a245694b313a5c76f4a63e1073c6bc5e.jpg5a324f225c495_WeberThalandTileGroutBuriram001.jpg.e1616c777d530afe89a8c1e257c0d98e.jpg5a324f59177fb_CrocodileBathroomShowerTileGroutBuriramThailand001.jpg.8090c436a07a7026341a43207a6a00e0.jpg

Buriram Weber Tile grout Protectant Coating brush on application.jpg

Weber Tile Grout Technical Staff Trainer November 14 Buriram Thailand.jpg

Edited by kamalabob2

I usually get gopod results cleaning grout using either toilet cleaner (Duck brand or that stuff in the pink plastic bottles - leave it on until it has finished fizzing op then rinse off

or bleach.

I usually go the toilet cleaning first and then after that if needed, a bleach application.