Govt considering relaxing ban on political movements

webfact

Govt considering relaxing ban on political movements

PNPOL601126001000501.jpg

BANGKOK, 27th November 2017 (NNT) – The government is looking into the possibility of lifting certain restrictions on political movements in order to pave the way for municipal elections. 

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has confirmed that the government is considering relaxing its ban on political activities and looking to revise several laws in preparation for local elections. 

He also raised a question about the readiness of the public to go to the polls. 

According to Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, six laws related to municipal elections will be prepared as the administration is consulting responsible agencies including the Ministry of the Interior and the Election Commission in regard to the revision of those acts. 

For the past month, several political groups and activists have been calling on the government and the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to retract their order outlawing all forms of political activities in the country.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-11-27

I guess the public would like to go to the polls provided of course they are not prevented doing so by mob rule, but then of course the military could step in and protect them from harassment,oops silly me, almost forgot.

As for political parties being given more freedom, necessary move if the sort of elections that may be upcoming should appear free and fair and above board.

Oh, they’re ready. They’ve been ready for over three and a half years. Bit late to be asking this question. 

Yes, they were read before the coup. Certain parties however were not ready (never ever will be ready) for the public to make the choice, and so the military stepped in, in a long held tradition...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He also raised a question about the readiness of the public to go to the polls. 

The people are far more ready than the junta.  They are just worried about an outcome that will embarrass them and make the last three years look like a complete waste of time which it was. 

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

I guess the public would like to go to the polls provided of course they are not prevented doing so by mob rule, but then of course the military could step in and protect them from harassment,oops silly me, almost forgot.

As for political parties being given more freedom, necessary move if the sort of elections that may be upcoming should appear free and fair and above board.

Or even the police could actually do their job and enforce the law and keep the peace.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Or even the police could actually do their job and enforce the law and keep the peace.

I often wonder what might have happened if the police had controlled Sutep's mob last time round. Would the elites' army have stepped in and out-gunned them to prevent organised voting taking place?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

six laws related to municipal elections will be prepared

Ah yes - six new laws for municipal elections that points to some lengthy rules ahead.

Must prepare a framework to legally manipulate local elections to a predetermined, favorable outcome, ie., restrictive candidate qualifications, limited public assembly, funding disclosures, travel limitations, candidate promotion limitations, media limitations, limited public debate, etc.

And all the while, Prayut can exercise Article 44 at will to bypass any laws and create new laws without NLA or Cabinet approval to affect elections.

4 hours ago, joebrown said:

I often wonder what might have happened if the police had controlled Sutep's mob last time round. Would the elites' army have stepped in and out-gunned them to prevent organised voting taking place?

During this period, Prayuth has been continuously repeating that the army would not take side, but would intervene in case of violence. Of course, he was meaning violence from the government's side. Alternatively, the judiciary could also have forbidden them to act against protesters, as they did later after the blocked elections.