I need help with a few Chiang Mai things

texxxan1

Ive been to Chiang Mai a few times and quite enjoy it. Im going to be spending a lot of time there in the near future and want to find someone Thai to help me with things about the city when I first get there. Show me around, help me with local culture and language etc. Do you guy recommend some service, or any ideas of who I could hire to show me around.

I am going to get a condo or apt to stay in, for when im there and just unsure really of what part of town I want etc. So will be getting a hotel room or serviced apartment for the first mnth or so. Being that most of my stays in the past were near the Moat, id like someone to help with a general idea of other things in and around town.

I really am not sure what I will be doing in my off time there, just relaxing enjoying some sun, maybe some fishing and such... A lot comes through my mind

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Tex

The problem with guides is they can't resist the temptation to steer you to things, where they get a commission.  This is especially true in the home rental business.  Saw a guy end up paying 30,000 a month for a four bedroom house in Hang Dong, when I think he would have been a lot happier in a 10,000 per month condo closer in.  People have to make a living, but you would be better off just talking to some local expats, wherever.  Was at a dive bar the other night and there was a sign on the wall advertising a 2 bedroom house near the airport for 5000 per month.  If you know the MOAT, you are already way ahead of first timers.  Some will say you need a car, others say you must rent a scooter, while others do fine with neither.  Acting like you need someone to hold your hand is a good way to get taken for a ride.  Some look at 10 apartments, and still pay too much, and still have complaints.  Others spend an hour finding a place and stay ten years.  Having specific questions is much better than, "I am new, help me."

Edited by BuddyDean

1 hour ago, BuddyDean said:

The problem with guides is they can't resist the temptation to steer you to things, where they get a commission.  This is especially true in the home rental business.  Saw a guy end up paying 30,000 a month for a four bedroom house in Hang Dong, when I think he would have been a lot happier in a 10,000 per month condo closer in.  People have to make a living, but you would be better off just talking to some local expats, wherever.  Was at a dive bar the other night and there was a sign on the wall advertising a 2 bedroom house near the airport for 5000 per month.  If you know the MOAT, you are already way ahead of first timers.  Some will say you need a car, others say you must rent a scooter, while others do fine with neither.  Acting like you need someone to hold your hand is a good way to get taken for a ride.  Some look at 10 apartments, and still pay too much, and still have complaints.  Others spend an hour finding a place and stay ten years.  Having specific questions is much better than, "I am new, help me."

That's a very perceptive post.

I doubt that the OP will get any better advice than that.

But hey, TITV... no telling what gems of wisdom may follow.

Good luck, Tex.

12 hours ago, texxxan1 said:

want to find someone Thai to help me with things about the city when I first get there.

LOL. Plenty of potential Thai "guides" in any C M bar if you just want a Thai speaking person to be with you.

Personally, in your shoes I'd buy a m'bike ( and really good insurance )and look up "places to go, things to do in C M" on the internet. C M traffic is appalling and car parking difficult outside malls, so a m'bike/ scooter is the best way to get around. Otherwise have to "negotiate" with taxi drivers and can be expensive.

Definitely stay in an hotel or G H while looking for a long term place to stay. 

Thanks for the comments guys... I am new, however that is the reason I asked the question here. I have no problem wondering around town and looking. I don't need help finding a place, once I land on what part of town I want to stay in..  I am just not familiar with all of town.. Hence the reason I can here to ask for any insight, but ill just show up and work it all out..

always an andventure to be had lol

. Cheers

We've had plenty of convos about which part of CM is better, but it's really objective. You've got to plunge in and taste it for yourself. That's my plan too.

There are lots of CM real estate companies online. Like house-shopping or apartment-shopping anywhere, you never jump on the first thing you see. ;) Look at lots of places and contact plenty of agents before making any kind of decision.

9 hours ago, texxxan1 said:

Thanks for the comments guys... I am new, however that is the reason I asked the question here. I have no problem wondering around town and looking. I don't need help finding a place, once I land on what part of town I want to stay in..  I am just not familiar with all of town.. Hence the reason I can here to ask for any insight, but ill just show up and work it all out..

. Cheers

You're not going to do much "wandering" on foot, except perhaps inside the moat, so transportation choices are necessary.

The best places are outside the central area and not in a public transportation area.

Drop into any local bar, plenty of help for hire 24/7 live-in service available for around 15,000bht/month.

It's what many of us ended up doing.

Plenty of 1 room condos in town to choose from at 5,000-10,000bht/month.

Outside of town a 2-3 bed house rents for the same price.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On 12/1/2017 at 12:07 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

You're not going to do much "wandering" on foot, except perhaps inside the moat, so transportation choices are necessary.

The best places are outside the central area and not in a public transportation area.

Actually, there are quite a few  good rental options available in areas very accessible on foot and/or easily served by the red song thaews, like the Santitam area, along Huay Kaew Road and the Nimman area.  

On 12/1/2017 at 2:43 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Drop into any local bar, plenty of help for hire 24/7 live-in service available for around 15,000bht/month.

I hope you're being sarcastic.  Many guys find that their 15,000 baht/month "live-in assistant" ends up costing much more than 15,000 baht per month.  

On 12/1/2017 at 12:07 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

You can walk around CM , if your legs work properly .

No where is too far to walk , if you have the time and its also good exercise 

On 12/1/2017 at 2:43 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Although you will not get much for that theses days .

Thats about a cheap going rate for a daily salary and you would also have to pay for outside food, clothes , alcohol , pay for the kid in the village .

Realistically, you are looking at about 1000 Baht a day and she will constantly have a gun pointed to your head , if shes pretty * Give me blah blah blah or I will go and find someone else in the bar who is younger than you and has more money*

These days a basic wage of 15 000 Baht , with no add one, doesnt get you much

22 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

If you are a slob, or viewed as "undesirable," have beard, mooslam, Jew, Arab, bald, fat, old..or any combination.  I know a guy 80+, who pays his assistant 8000 per month...less than half his age.  Nice lady.  The big salaries are something promoted by the bargirl industry, and ironically they are worth less.  4-500 a couple nights per week can get you pretty far.  

Although we are talking about something a bit more than just being an assistant .

She would have to walk down the street with you , holding hands and things like that

24 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although we are talking about something a bit more than just being an assistant .

She would have to walk down the street with you , holding hands and things like that

Finding one that doesn't want to be seen with you around town is better than hitting the lottery and much easier.

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

Actually, there are quite a few  good rental options available in areas very accessible on foot and/or easily served by the red song thaews, like the Santitam area, along Huay Kaew Road and the Nimman area.  

I wouldn't like to be dependent on the red STs in C M if I wanted to go anywhere outside the main area, when they think they can ask any silly price if alone.

Most of the good stuff is well outside city limits.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

You can walk around CM , if your legs work properly .

No where is too far to walk , if you have the time and its also good exercise 

Yeah right. I'm sure I could walk from Loi Kroh to Royal Flora, but by the time I got there I wouldn't be interested in walking around in it.

:shock1:

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wouldn't like to be dependent on the red STs in C M if I wanted to go anywhere outside the main area, when they think they can ask any silly price if alone.

Most of the good stuff is well outside city limits.

Outside you ride non red songtaeos for very reasonable prices.  So no point to charter a red one.

On 11/29/2017 at 8:09 PM, BuddyDean said:

On 11/29/2017 at 9:57 PM, JingerBen said:

That's a very perceptive post.

I doubt that the OP will get any better advice than that.

But hey, TITV... no telling what gems of wisdom may follow.

Good luck, Tex.

and ill add get on the facebook groups here in chiang mai...several rental groups available.....many cheap deals....also use uber initially...u just cant beat it when your new or ever for somepeople.....but walking around going to front desk , bulletin boards of places look like youd want works too.....you can avoid agencies andworth doing so if u put in the effort

8 hours ago, NancyL said:

ya if he start bottom nimman and walks all of it a zillion places for rent , some way cheaper than advertised

On 12/1/2017 at 2:15 AM, texxxan1 said:

. Cheers

You won`t have a problem. Where you will be staying is considered a Farlang comfort zone, could be described as a Farlang ghetto. Rarely do they venture out from the main city it`s self, not too far away from Starbucks coffee, MacDonald`s, KFC and western style restaurants. The majority hardly have any real interaction with Thais.  

Dine at any cafe/ restaurant in and the surrounding areas, or pop into a bar and you will find many westerners. Easy to start conversations with them, so learning Thai is not a necessity. Some of them have been stayed in the area for several years and can prove helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest starting with a reasonably-priced studio unit at 8000 - 12000 baht per month, then work your way up or down from there. Bear in mind prices come down with the longer-term rentals; however, you don't want to get stuck with somewhere noisy or inaccessible, so you need to assess carefully. Further out in San Kamphaeng, plenty of rooms for 4000 baht a month.

There was a guy running a guide service some years ago. He was mainly interested in hooking me up with someone from his stable of Thai girls.

Songtaews and tuk-tuks should be used initially. Never get into one until the price is agreed.

Try to learn as much Thai as you can. It makes life a lot easier. The most effective way to do it is to acquire a Thai girlfriend; however, bear in mind it's like marriage - a lot easier to get into than get out of. Women working in coffee shops, legitimate Thai massage shops and nurses from hospitals are sometimes interested in falangs.

I'd suggest getting a Thai driving licence for a scooter or car before taking the step to your own transport. Scooters are more useful in the congested areas, but also more risky. You can hire a scooter for about 2500 baht a month, car for 800 baht a day.

Good luck, and be careful.