advice - live in BKK for 6 months per year

pumpjack

i want to join the girl  in SAMUT SAKHON ( AOM NOI )   for 6 months of the year,   we plan rent a room and make it homely.     i want to know what there is to do, i dont want to be sitting round bored , i dont want to spend these 6 months in holiday mode sitting in bars drinking etc.   

i am interested to train, learn some muay thai ( understand there is a large muay thai gym there but does it allow farang beginners ? )   play tennis ,  jog ,   go fishing and learn more  thai language .    thai cooking schools.     take the bike down to hau hin some weekends. 

i think if im bored i can catch a local bus from PHETKASEM ROAD into BANG WA  bts station and catch a skytrain into BKK central and spend some time there , but do what ?   

as i say if im to spend 6 months here a year i cannot really afford to be spending " holiday money " 4-5000 baht a day. i want keep on budget but have a good time also and go out to few bars & clubs once or twice per week with my girl.  

Six months @ year is a considerable time/personal investment.  I suggest you put language learning high

on your list of priorities.  There are many threads on the forums discussing various schools.

You'll meet/make new friends (outside the bars) and gain the advantage of communication skills.

You have listed more things to do than most expats here actually do... not sure what sort of suggestions you want - just do what is on your list, take a walk if you get bored, but otherwise it sounds like you barely have time to eat and sleep...

Budgeting time/money is one of life's challenges... nobody can do it for you... 

5,000 a day? You can rent a nice home near Chiang Mai for 5,000 a month. Great mountain roads for riding. Try the hot springs. Local festivals. Visit Chiang Rai and Golden Triangle. Once you pay the rent the expenses shouldn't be more than at other home. Good cooking schools and a muay Thai center there. I have been staying six months, two in a house up north, four in a condo on Pattaya Hill.

You've listed some good activities to keep you busy and happy. What I suggest is you find a place to live that is near those activities so you don't get annoyed by the commute.

Most gyms should be happy to take your money to train you. But you may need someone who has some English.

Lots of should in downtown bangkok on the BTS route so if you can get there easily, that would help.

You may want to consider living elsewhere. Perhaps Banga, just to make the commute easier. This would also make it easier to get to Hua hin or Pattaya.

5 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Take up moaning on ThaiVisa, it's what half the expat population does to while away the time until bars open.

5 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Take up moaning on ThaiVisa, it's what half the expat population does to while away the time until bars open.

But you're different right?