White House staff exits likely as Trump's first year draws to a close - sources

webfact

White House staff exits likely as Trump's first year draws to a close - sources

By Jeff Mason

tag_reuters.jpg

Faith leaders place their hands on the shoulders of U.S. President Donald Trump as he takes part in a prayer for those affected by Hurricane Harvey in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., September 1, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's expected exit from the Trump administration is one of many staff changes likely as President Donald Trump nears the end of his first year in office, with sources saying top economic adviser Gary Cohn and son-in-law Jared Kushner could be among those who depart.

Cohn, whose relationship with Trump became tense earlier this year, has considered leaving once the Republican effort to overhaul the U.S. tax system is completed in Congress, according to the sources with ties to the White House who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Kushner, who has seen his influence in the White House shrink, may receive a "face-saving" exit as he deals with legal challenges related to a special counsel's investigation of Trump's 2016 presidential campaign's potential ties to Russia, one of the sources said.

"This is pure speculation," said White House spokesman Raj Shah in an emailed statement about potential staff moves.

More junior-level advisers could also use the completion of Trump's first year and tax legislation as a pivot point to move on, leading to another period of uncertainty that has at times overshadowed Trump's tenure, which began on Jan. 20.

Things change quickly at the Trump White House. Advisers and Cabinet members who fall out of favour with the president can re-enter his good graces, making it hard to predict staff moves. But shifts in personnel are watched around the world for indications of how Trump will tackle issues ranging from North Korea to regulatory policy.

"It may be February, it may be March, it may be April, but I think once you get to that time period, people are going to feel as though they've kind of put their time in," said one person with close ties to the White House.

"You’re definitely going to see some people leave after tax cuts get done," said a separate Trump adviser, who requested anonymity to speak freely about the administration.

PLAN FOR TILLERSON

Trump is considering a plan to oust Tillerson, whose relationship has been strained by the top U.S. diplomat's softer line on North Korea and other differences, senior administration officials said. A State Department spokeswoman said Tillerson's chief of staff had been told by the White House that the reports of Tillerson being replaced were not true.

Cohn's future in the White House has come into question since his public criticism of Trump's response to the violence at a white supremacist rally in Virginia in August. Their once-tense relationship has since improved, however, and one source close to the White House said he could stay longer to help spearhead legislation to improve U.S. infrastructure.

"I'd go a little bit against conventional wisdom here and say he's got one more project to get under his belt before he leaves," the source said, referring to infrastructure.

The White House noted Cohn's interview with CNBC earlier this month in which said he did not plan to leave after tax reform was finished. "It's my plan to stay and work as long as I can help the president drive his economic agenda," Cohn said.

Two of the sources with ties to the White House said they assumed the White House chief of staff, General John Kelly, wanted at least to outlast his predecessor Reince Priebus' six-month tenure in the position. The White House spokesman's statement said discussion of changes was speculation.

One of the sources said Kushner, who is married to Trump's daughter Ivanka Trump, could go if a scenario, such as giving him an outside adviser role, were found that appealed to the president.

"Once someone comes up with a solution that sounds right, then I think he’s going to latch on," the source said.

Kushner told the Washington Post this month that he and his wife, a fellow White House adviser, were "here to stay."

Though a lot of speculation about departures has focused on high-profile names, the possibility of mid-level staffers leaving could have a big impact on the rhythms of the White House.

"The difference in this administration is that you don't have replacements already on staff" or people clamoring to get on board, said one of the sources with ties to the White House.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Editing by Caren Bohan and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-01

No doubt the deflector in chief will get rid of Tillerson. He seemed like the only stable person in the entire administration. And the only person willing to disagree with the ringleader, since Kelly turned into an absolute wimp. Trump cannot handle dissent, as he has a very fragile ego, and the thinnest skin of any world leader, except maybe Fat Kim. I hate what he did by slashing the staff as the state department. It might take a generation to repair this damage. Due to this charlatan fool "leader" Trump, the number of Americans who are taking the foreign service exam has dropped by 50%. No wonder. He is a man who propagates discouragement everywhere he goes, and with everything he does and says. He is a dark force, and a toxic man. He is a divider, a hater, a heathen, a destroyer of unity, a constipated man, and no doubt suffers from "small man syndrome". And I am not referring to his height. This administration is corrupt beyond imagination. Hopefully, this fact will be revealed over time. 

Edited by spidermike007

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No doubt the deflector in chief will get rid of Tillerson. He seemed like the only stable person in the entire administration. And the only person willing to disagree with the ringleader, since Kelly turned into an absolute wimp. Trump cannot handle dissent, as he has a very fragile ego, and the thinnest skin of any world leader, except maybe Fat Kim. I hate what he did by slashing the staff as the state department. It might take a generation to repair this damage. Due to this charlatan fool "leader" Trump, the number of Americans who are taking the foreign service exam has dropped by 50%. No wonder. He is a man who propagates discouragement everywhere he goes, and with everything he does and says. He is a dark force, and a toxic man. He is a divider, a hater, a heathen, a destroyer of unity, a constipated man, and no doubt suffers from "small man syndrome". And I am not referring to his height. This administration is corrupt beyond imagination. Hopefully, this fact will be revealed over time. 

I think you nailed with your observations. Maybe the whole point of Trumps time whether it is short or shorter, is to allow us all to see what the downside of a real crap president can be.....Bush II was no great shakes and led the country into a severe depression. But the Moron in Chief is pretty pathetic all the way round, and seems like he has serious psychological issues. Maybe this will create a higher standard for the future in the United States.

8 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I think you nailed with your observations. Maybe the whole point of Trumps time whether it is short or shorter, is to allow us all to see what the downside of a real crap president can be.....Bush II was no great shakes and led the country into a severe depression. But the Moron in Chief is pretty pathetic all the way round, and seems like he has serious psychological issues. Maybe this will create a higher standard for the future in the United States.

One can only hope this leads to something better. Personally, I think the entire political system in the US is completely broken. Beyond repair? Hope not. The democratic party was completely destroyed, and fielded one of the worst candidates in it's history with Clinton. She was a horrific candidate. Alot of voters felt they had no choice, but to vote for Trump. Though my guess is they had no idea who the real man was. Many of my friends, who voted for him, tell me they despise him in the worst way, but still support his policies. 

From my point of view, he is petty, petulant, arrogant beyond the furthest reaches of my imagination, cares only for himself and not the nation, is hateful, vengeful, racist, cowardly, misogynistic, possesses zero wisdom, virtue, or vision, and is not terribly intelligent. Did I leave anything out?

We'll be hearing the term 'Justice Democrats' in the coming months/years.   They are Democrats who are opposed to 'Corporate Democrats' like Feinstein.   Already, Justice Democrats have been wining primaries and a few races, and they're only just getting off the ground.  One of their main points is:  they don't take corporate donations.  A breath of fresh air, to counter the sewer gas coming out of Washington D.C., my former home town.

18 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

My fear is that if Kelly leaves, the country and the world is doomed!

You're somewhat right, but it's a sad state of affairs, when a lying vindictive yes-man is the fulcrum between a doomed and ok world.

I look at interviews with former WH officials and am reminded of how decrepit, mean-spirited, and ugly-characters, the current occupants are.

On 12/2/2017 at 10:51 AM, spidermike007 said:

the number of Americans who are taking the foreign service exam has dropped by 50%.

no reason to let facts get in the way of your hate fueled rant. :whistling:

https://pathtoforeignservice.com/the-fy-2016-fso-and-fss-hiring-rates-prediction/

You'll notice that there is no available data for the last 2 years.

5 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

https://pathtoforeignservice.com/the-fy-2016-fso-and-fss-hiring-rates-prediction/

Interest in U.S. diplomatic corps tumbles in early months of Trump

Interest in joining the State Department’s elite ranks of Foreign Service officers has tumbled in the early months of the Trump administration, triggering worries among former officials about the long-run risks to U.S. diplomatic power.

This June, the number of Americans who took the Foreign Service exam to start the process of joining the prestigious State Department ranks fell 26 percent from the same month a year earlier to 2,730, according to data obtained by POLITICO. The June tally marked the lowest number of test-takers in nearly a decade.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/12/trump-state-department-foreign-service-interest-plummets-241551

24 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Interest in U.S. diplomatic corps tumbles in early months of Trump

Interest in joining the State Department’s elite ranks of Foreign Service officers has tumbled in the early months of the Trump administration, triggering worries among former officials about the long-run risks to U.S. diplomatic power.

This June, the number of Americans who took the Foreign Service exam to start the process of joining the prestigious State Department ranks fell 26 percent from the same month a year earlier to 2,730, according to data obtained by POLITICO. The June tally marked the lowest number of test-takers in nearly a decade.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/12/trump-state-department-foreign-service-interest-plummets-241551

So, 1 month out of a year and only compared to the same month a year ago. Either way, the 26% they reported is a far cry from the 50% touted in the post I replied to. Can't quite give you a full Tu Cheay (can't spell french) :coffee1:

Just now, mrwebb8825 said:

So, 1 month out of a year and only compared to the same month a year ago. Either way, the 26% they reported is a far cry from the 50% touted in the post I replied to. Can't quite give you a full Tu Cheay (can't spell french) :coffee1:

Yes you can. Since i was replying to this:

"You'll notice that there is no available data for the last 2 years."

Touché!

38 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Why wouldn't the interest in the foreign service drop, with a leader who is cutting the budget of the Department of State by 40%, for the first time in history. Think about it. Of course, I despise Trump. I do not deny that. I proudly admit it. He has given me ample reason to despise him. That does not get in the way of the facts. I realize some of his devotees do not enjoy facts. But, regardless of how inconvenient facts may be, they still exist. Some denied gravity before Newton. Did that change anything?

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Why wouldn't the interest in the foreign service drop, with a leader who is cutting the budget of the Department of State by 40%, for the first time in history. Think about it. Of course, I despise Trump. I do not deny that. I proudly admit it. He has given me ample reason to despise him. That does not get in the way of the facts. I realize some of his devotees do not enjoy facts. But, regardless of how inconvenient facts may be, they still exist. Some denied gravity before Newton. Did that change anything?

No one denied gravity before Newton. No one even thought of gravity before Newton. 

9 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Yes you can. Since i was replying to this:

"You'll notice that there is no available data for the last 2 years."

Touché!

1st, thanks for correcting my French. 2nd, thank you for posting an article supporting my post. From your article, and I quote:

"

State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said there was “continued strong interest in serving in the Foreign Service” and that the Foreign Service pipelines were “robust” with more than 750 candidates now being considered.

“The general trend of Foreign Service applicants has been on a decline” since the 2013 fiscal year, she said in a statement. “While there are regular seasonal variations, it’s clear that Foreign Service Officer Test (FSOT) applications overall move in the same direction as unemployment rates and with sustained, historically low unemployment rates, the Department is not surprised or concerned about a reduction in FSOT applications.”

Some conservatives have defended what the Trump administration is doing to the State Department and say it’s not surprising to see ebbs and flows of people interested in government service.

James Roberts, a research fellow at the Heritage Foundation, said employment at the State Department has climbed since 9/11."

6 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

1st, thanks for correcting my French. 2nd, thank you for posting an article supporting my post. From your article, and I quote:

"

State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said there was “continued strong interest in serving in the Foreign Service” and that the Foreign Service pipelines were “robust” with more than 750 candidates now being considered.

“The general trend of Foreign Service applicants has been on a decline” since the 2013 fiscal year, she said in a statement. “While there are regular seasonal variations, it’s clear that Foreign Service Officer Test (FSOT) applications overall move in the same direction as unemployment rates and with sustained, historically low unemployment rates, the Department is not surprised or concerned about a reduction in FSOT applications.”

Some conservatives have defended what the Trump administration is doing to the State Department and say it’s not surprising to see ebbs and flows of people interested in government service.

James Roberts, a research fellow at the Heritage Foundation, said employment at the State Department has climbed since 9/11."

Not the post I replied to.