Thai lawyer - epileptic driver who killed two cannot face attempted murder charge

snoop1130

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2014, a similar incident occurred when a Nong Bua Lamphu school director suffered an epileptic seizure while driving to another school and crashed into a group of students, resulting in the deaths of four schoolchildren deaths and 10 injuries. 

The incident prompted the Land Transport Department and the Medical Council of Thailand to discuss changing requirements for drivers. A requirement was proposed that licence applicants would have to include a medical certificate to prevent people with heart disease, diabetes and epilepsy from driving.

The proposal has not been put into effect.

Land Transport Department deputy director-general Kamol Buranapong said the department was in the process of consulting with the Medical Council and drafting new health criteria for driving licences, which will include five new symptoms barring applicants from eligibility.

The five symptoms are epileptic seizures, high blood pressure, brain diseases, myocardial infarction and diabetes.

There are no laws that currently stop a person suffering from epilepsy from obtaining a license and driving in Thailand.

One of the more worrying thing is some of the 5 symptoms that are going to make you ineligible to get a Thai license. High blood pressure? Diabetes?

I am glad the lawyer clarified that indeed the man can be charged with negligent homicide for voluntarily getting into the vehicle and starting the engine to drive away, it is not an accident, it was willful, insensitive, and a practice dangerous to society that he be allowed to drive.  Permission for him to drive makes about as much sense as giving someone with an incorrectable vision impairment a license.  Sorry, he should be charged, and if convicted, jailed and license taken for life.

5 hours ago, johnarth said:

OH, lights, camera, action. there must be a video of this.

There is I have seen it but its poor quality. My wife knows where to find it. When she wakes up I willl try and post it.

The epileptic angle is a lie. He was on drugs

1 minute ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I am glad the lawyer clarified that indeed the man can be charged with negligent homicide for voluntarily getting into the vehicle and starting the engine to drive away, it is not an accident, it was willful, insensitive, and a practice dangerous to society that he be allowed to drive.  Permission for him to drive makes about as much sense as giving someone with an incorrectable vision impairment a license.  Sorry, he should be charged, and if convicted, jailed and license taken for life.

but it looks like it was not epilepsy but a drug problem (ice and yaba) which to me makes it a lot worst

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

am glad the lawyer clarified that indeed the man can be charged with negligent homicide for voluntarily getting into the vehicle and starting the engine to drive away, it is not an accident, it was willful, insensitive, and a practice dangerous to society that he be allowed to drive.  Permission for him to drive makes about as much sense as giving someone with an incorrectable vision impairment a license.  Sorry, he should be charged, and if convicted, jailed and license taken for life.

but it looks like it was not epilepsy but a drug problem (ice and yaba) which to me makes it a lot worst

Thanx  -  If this is true and proven, then he should be put under the Jail, still doesn't deflate my feelings toward anyone physically/mentally impaired to the point that it is dangerous to society  for giving them permission to drive a vehicle.  

2 hours ago, dave moir said:

If he's epileptic he shouldn't be driving and his licence should be revoked!

Yes but he is liable for murder. A ilness not a excuse. In fact it's even worse that he did know. But I'm here he is a liar was racing the lights

3 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thanx  -  If this is true and proven, then he should be put under the Jail, still doesn't deflate my feelings toward anyone physically/mentally impaired to the point that it is dangerous to society  for giving them permission to drive a vehicle.  

How far do you want to go with it.

because heart attack can happen to anybody at anytime of any age. A 12 year old had a heart attack and died while playing football.

Any body of any age can have a stroke

So the thing is what do we accept? If you want to exclude any medical reason then it would put every driver off the road even you are susceptible to any of these medical conditions at any time without warning.

Blood pressure can spike in a second and cause a heart attack without any warning, you can bump your head on the car and cause a small blood clot that can cause you to have a stroke whilst driving

It is a hard one

Absolutely not...very common in the west to include animals as part of the casualty count or part of the story....accidents fire flood earthquake shooting etc...

animals are very much part of the "human interest" story. There is no separation in the west...

animals and humans are on two different levels in thailand....

Edited by cardinalblue
Misspelling

3 hours ago, Russell17au said:

In most countries epileptics do have to face a medical evaluation before they are granted a restricted license, but this may not be as simple as that now because it everything could have changed owing to the illicit drugs that he had consumed. If this is correct then the epilepsy has nothing to do with the incident. He was driving under the influence of illicit drugs which is a whole different story with a whole different reason for the incident and a whole different lot of penalties. I hope that the drug item is true because I do not believe that those who suffer from epilepsy that are doing the right thing should be branded and penalized unfairly because of the actions by this man

Well, of course not. But they should still be held accountable, just like everyone else. The disease does not excuse the crime. And this was obviously a crime. Either there were otters drugs involved, or he was off his normal meds, or he was not supposed to be driving. Regardless, he committed a heinous crime. And needs to be punished severely. Perhaps I would suggest the penalty be doubled. An epileptic driving a truck on drugs? Sounds like a recipe for disaster, and sounds like the height of irresponsibility. Hope he and his family suffer greatly for this crime.

Edited by spidermike007

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, of course not. But they should still be held accountable, just like everyone else. The disease does not excuse the crime. And this was obviously a crime. Either there were otters drugs involved, or he was off his normal meds, or he was not supposed to be driving. Regardless, he committed a heinous crime. And needs to be punished severely. 

image.jpeg.f5d8a2a40279dd752b2a9d5766027426.jpegMy Grandson after having part of the front lobe of his brain removed because of his epilepsy but so called normal people were not satisfied until they drove him to commit suicide, so I know a bit about epilepsy and about the dirty way that many people treat them. In most decent countries decent people respect them and they can drive as long as they meet the legal requirements same as diabetics

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

image.jpeg.f5d8a2a40279dd752b2a9d5766027426.jpegMy Grandson after having part of the front lobe of his brain removed because of his epilepsy but so called normal people were not satisfied until they drove him to commit suicide, so I know a bit about epilepsy and about the dirty way that many people treat them. In most decent countries decent people respect them and they can drive as long as they meet the legal requirements same as diabetics

Very sorry to here this. I understand but if was me I not drive. But I don't believe it was the cause. I think he was being a cowboy 

16 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Your grandson, and this guy on illegal drugs, driving a large truck into a crowds and murdering scores of people, are two very, very different things, and two people who could not possibly be more different, other than the infirmity. We do not need to turn this discussion into a war on people with infirmities. That is not what this is. It is about taking responsibility for one's actions, something alot of Thai men have a very hard time doing.

And as far as the super PC stuff goes, it means nothing to me. I am the least politically correct person you will ever encounter. And of that I am proud. 

Very sorry to hear about your grandson. Sounds like a very heavy burden to carry. 

Edited by spidermike007

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Your grandson, and this guy on illegal drugs, driving a large truck into a crowds and murdering scores of people, are two very, very different things, and two people who could not possibly be more different, other than the infirmity. We do not need to turn this discussion into a war on people with infirmities. That is not what this is. It is about taking responsibility for one's actions, something alot of Thai men have a very hard time doing.

And as far as the super PC stuff goes, it means nothing to me. I am the least politically correct person you will ever encounter. And of that I am proud. 

Very sorry to hear about your grandson. Sounds like a very heavy burden to carry. 

The thing is everyone has been blaming epilepsy but now it has changed and this guy was high on illicit drugs and there appears to be a site listed here now that looks like it was his site for selling the drugs. Anyone who knows anything about epilepsy can tell you that epilepsy can cure itself plus if a sufferer stays on their medication they can live a normal life the same as everybody else and that includes driving, most countries have special conditions the epileptics, diabetics, heart problem and even some stoke victims can obtain a license after meeting those requirements that are normally laid down by the medical organizations in conjunction with the traffic authorities.

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Thanks. There is another video from the opposite corner looking right down towards Tuk Com. It shows him hitting a motor bike on the wrong side of the road and swerving loosing control before again ploughing on the wrong side of the road into those unfortunate motorbikes who had just moved through the junction.

6 minutes ago, jimn said:

Thanks. There is another video from the opposite corner looking right down towards Tuk Com. It shows him hitting a motor bike on the wrong side of the road and swerving loosing control before again ploughing on the wrong side of the road into those unfortunate motorbikes who had just moved through the junction.

An epileptic when having a seizure their whole body stiffens and shakes and you cannot bend their arms or their legs, so if this joker was having a seizure that vehicle would accelerate to high speed and travel in a straight line because his leg would stiffen forcing his foot down on the accelerator and his arms would be stiff and not be able to turn the wheel so the car would not swerve it would run straight and if he hit something with the wheels and it forced the car to steer then he would have broken arms

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

The thing is everyone has been blaming epilepsy but now it has changed and this guy was high on illicit drugs and there appears to be a site listed here now that looks like it was his site for selling the drugs. Anyone who knows anything about epilepsy can tell you that epilepsy can cure itself plus if a sufferer stays on their medication they can live a normal life the same as everybody else and that includes driving, most countries have special conditions the epileptics, diabetics, heart problem and even some stoke victims can obtain a license after meeting those requirements that are normally laid down by the medical organizations in conjunction with the traffic authorities.

Sorry, but it wasn't the guy selling the drugs. It was just a joke with a questionmark. 

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Sorry, but it wasn't the guy selling the drugs. It was just a joke with a questionmark. 

OK thanks Jenny but he was found to have a drug problem and they have said that he did have drugs in his system so nothing like that would surprise me

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

OK thanks Jenny but he was found to have a drug problem and they have said that he did have drugs in his system so nothing like that would surprise me

I've read it a couple of times, but it would be great to know if he REALLY was on drugs.

That would change the lawyer BS story totally, and perhaps some posters' words as well. 

P.S. Indeed, he was on drugs.

Pattaya police later announced however Akkaradech tested positive for drug use and has been charged with driving with drugs in his system, which is punishable with a four year prison sentence.

https://news.lovepattayathailand.com/local/driver-caused-mass-accident-pattaya-positive-drugs/

( Or a 5,000 baht fine?) :shock1: Full punishment for him !!!

Edited by jenny2017

2 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I've read it a couple of times, but it would be great to know if he REALLY was on drugs.

That would change the lawyer BS story totally, and perhaps some posters' words as well. 

The lawyers story is right IF he was having a seizure. They do not know what is happening or what has happened during a seizure. When my grandson was having a seizure at 4 years of age it took 3 of us to hold him down and his eyes would roll back into the sockets so that all you could see was white and a seizure could last anything from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. Unless you have been through it you do not know what it is like and some of the hurtful things that have been said just shows how quick people are to judge when they do not know anything

Just now, Russell17au said:

The lawyers story is right IF he was having a seizure. They do not know what is happening or what has happened during a seizure. When my grandson was having a seizure at 4 years of age it took 3 of us to hold him down and his eyes would roll back into the sockets so that all you could see was white and a seizure could last anything from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. Unless you have been through it you do not know what it is like and some of the hurtful things that have been said just shows how quick people are to judge when they do not know anything

I feel sorry for your grandson and understand your pain. Please read the post before yours, it's true that the lawyer made that up and it seems that the guy's an old druggie. 

2 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I feel sorry for your grandson and understand your pain. Please read the post before yours, it's true that the lawyer made that up and it seems that the guy's an old druggie. 

yes that is what my argument has been, that this was not an epileptic seizure. But that lawyer has done his homework because what he said about a seizure is spot on correct