Fun Trip: Just Did Thai Driver's License After 12 Yrs Here

danone

you never know, thats why I went up to chatuchak - and been done within a good 1 1/2 hrs! including some running.

after 12 yrs driving with an international license finally got the local one.

and they're organized there, at the transportation department.

imagine, in building 4 floor 2 there is a specific counter for foreigners! loved it, and the 3 girls behind the counter were all smiles.

after the basic papers are verified and copied they send you up to floor 3 for the "ability" test.

groups of 10 or so people do color and reaction tests.

the guy before me tragically failed the reaction test. he seemed dead nervous will all people around staring at him. but I think the lady let him pass anyway.

they nearly wanted to send me into the room for the written tests - last minute they sent me out.

back down in floor 2 the girls wanted me to go to the "clinic" for a health test.

nothing easier than that. just go back to the main road, take a left and in the first rotten shop house on your left is a clinic, a rotten one it seems.

the mamasan-doctor is cashier, photographer and whatever in one person, whereas her husband (I guess) does the medical tests.

meaning: filling out a form, within 30 seconds the health test is done. for 60 baht.

back with the 3 girls you cough up 105 baht - and minutes later the driver's license is ready.

valid for a year, after that renewable for 5 years.

Edited by danone

you never know, thats why I went up to chatuchak - and been done within a good 1 1/2 hrs! including some running.

after 12 yrs driving with an international license finally got the local one.

and they're organized there, at the transportation department.

imagine, in building 4 floor 2 there is a specific counter for foreigners! loved it, and the 3 girls behind the counter were all smiles.

after the basic papers are verified and copied they send you up to floor 3 for the "ability" test.

groups of 10 or so people do color and reaction tests.

the guy before me tragically failed the reaction test. he seemed dead nervous will all people around staring at him. but I think the lady let him pass anyway.

they nearly wanted to send me into the room for the written tests - last minute they sent me out.

back down in floor 2 the girls wanted me to go to the "clinic" for a health test.

nothing easier than that. just go back to the main road, take a left and in the first rotten shop house on your left is a clinic, a rotten one it seems.

the mamasan-doctor is cashier, photographer and whatever in one person, whereas her husband (I guess) does the medical tests.

meaning: filling out a form, within 30 seconds the health test is done. for 60 baht.

back with the 3 girls you cough up 105 baht - and minutes later the driver's license is ready.

valid for a year, after that renewable for 5 years.

Will you be kind enough to update our forum members what documents you provide to obtained your driving license?.

Edited by Thaising

Will you be kind enough to update our forum members what documents you provide to obtained your driving license?.

The pinned topic at the top of this forum is pretty accurate :o

For your first Thai licence you will need:-

1. Your national DL
  2. An International Driving Permit (IDP), if you don't have one you MAY need to do a written and driving test for which you must provide the vehicle.
  3. Address confirmation from your embassy / immigration OR a work permit
  4. Health certificate from hospital / clinic
  5. 2x 1" photos (from the stall outside the DL office)
  6. A non-immigrant visa of any type (NOT Tourist or visa exemption stamp)
  7. Your passport (and copies of photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6)
  8. Completed application form (get it at the office)
  9. Payment (depends upon which licence you need)
  10. A spare couple or three hours.

For a renewal replace 1 & 2 with your expired Thai licence.

You will be expected to do a colour blindness test, reaction test and depth-perception test (or any combination).

If you want to drive a car and motorcycle you need to apply for seperate licences, if you do them together a copy of the health cert is OK for the second licence.

Think that's pretty well it :D

The pinned topic at the top of this forum is pretty accurate :o

For your first Thai licence you will need:-

1. Your national DL
  2. An International Driving Permit (IDP), if you don't have one you MAY need to do a written and driving test for which you must provide the vehicle.
  3. Address confirmation from your embassy / immigration OR a work permit
  4. Health certificate from hospital / clinic
  5. 2x 1" photos (from the stall outside the DL office)
  6. A non-immigrant visa of any type (NOT Tourist or visa exemption stamp)
  7. Your passport (and copies of photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6)
  8. Completed application form (get it at the office)
  9. Payment (depends upon which licence you need)
  10. A spare couple or three hours.

For a renewal replace 1 & 2 with your expired Thai licence.

You will be expected to do a colour blindness test, reaction test and depth-perception test (or any combination).

If you want to drive a car and motorcycle you need to apply for seperate licences, if you do them together a copy of the health cert is OK for the second licence.

Think that's pretty well it :D

Lately there been lot of new rules and regulation for foreigner. That mean nothings has been change for obtaining Thai driving licence.

Thanks for updating.

"You will be expected to do a colour blindness test, reaction test and depth-perception test (or any combination)."

Could some one add details of what's involved, particularly with the colour blindness test - how seriously is it done, could i 'wing it' as i am colour blind? I wouldn't pass a strict test hence i've been driving on International Licenses for the past 15 years here.

i dont think she lets you "wing it", as you do the test in groups and the officers wouldnt want to loose face by letting pass a color blind farang.

why dont you have a look at floor 3 in building 4, where the tests are done. so many people gathering there, you can just walk in and see the color test right at the entrance of the test room.

you will see then if you can make out yellow, red and green.

if not, it may be a dangerous thing to let you drive.

"You will be expected to do a colour blindness test, reaction test and depth-perception test (or any combination)."

Could some one add details of what's involved, particularly with the colour blindness test - how seriously is it done, could i 'wing it' as i am colour blind? I wouldn't pass a strict test hence i've been driving on International Licenses for the past 15 years here.

The colour blindness test is the 'blobby coloured numbers' test (sorry don't remember the proper name). Whilst you are unlikely to be able to 'wing it' at the main office in BKK you stand a better chance at one of the 'local' offices where English is less prevelant. I'd be tempted to give it a go anyway, smile nicely and look confused, works wonders :o

I fluffed the depth-perception test, still got the licence though, and you only have to do any of these tests to get your first licence.

If you do go to a local office, you will need a Thai to assist with the forms and process, mostly waiting around.

EDIT. I doubt that the standard male problem of red-green blindness would make it dangerous to drive (it doesn't at home does it?).

Edited by Crossy