Being employed full-time and having a business

Hi  all again, 

I have had a little look around but unless I specifically know what I am looking for it makes it a task. 

My partner and I being both non nationals are looking to open a business at the markets. 

I am currently in the process of obtaining my work permit through my employer. My partner is on a tourist but will come onto my visa etc, as a dependant soon. We have been told it is easier for me to open the shop under my name due to having a work permit rather then going down the path of creating a company and her applying for a business visa. 

How would i modify my working permit or do even need too, which allows me full time hours of work at a school but also gives me the clearance needed to open at the market?

Appreciate any direction or information.

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

I haven't read your other thread (assuming you have one with your "Hi All Again" in the OP) and am probably stating the obvious here, but your work permit is issued for one job only (based on job description), at one location. Unless your current employer is affiliated with the shop you are planning to open, I don't think your current work permit will be of any benefit.

You can add more work locations to your WP, but to do that you would have to setup your new shop properly and have permission from your current employer to work there.

Should be someone along soon who has experience in these type of issues, the above is only my thoughts without reference.

• Thanks 1

A work permit can be endorsed to include different areas but is still restricted to one job.

I held one that covered from Rayong to BKK but only for the job I was doing. I had to visit various places all related to one large contract.

For a second job it would as far as I know require a second work permit but I don't even know if that is a possibility.

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, overherebc said:

For a second job it would as far as I know require a second work permit but I don't even know if that is a possibility.

A 2nd job can be added to a existing work permit if it is in the same province where the work permit was issued with permission of the employer the work permit is for. You can only have one work permit issued in a province. You can have 2 work permits if the jobs are in different provinces.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A 2nd job can be added to a existing work permit if it is in the same province where the work permit was issued with permission of the employer the work permit is for. You can only have one work permit issued in a province. You can have 2 work permits if the jobs are in different provinces.

So different employers in different provinces and different jobs you can hold a WP for each one.

Realistically speaking you will find this business idea is probably a non-starter unless you can make enough profit to support a limited company and 4 Thai staff per work permit (so 8 Thai staff if your partner wants to work aswell).

Be aware that "Sales" is an occupation that is reserved for Thai people only. Even if you get a work permit as a manager, you won't be able to sell.

In addition the company needs to pay work permit holders a minimum salary, which for most Europeans and Americans is 50,000 baht per month. While nobody checks that the salary is paid, you are required to prove you have paid the applicable tax and social fund payments.

Finally, be aware that most non Thai people can only own a total of 49 per cent of a Thai limited company. 51 per cent must be owned by Thai people.

16 minutes ago, blackcab said:

In addition the company needs to pay work permit holders a minimum salary, which for most Europeans and Americans is 50,000 baht per month. While nobody checks that the salary is paid, you are required to prove you have paid the applicable tax and social fund payments.

The minimum salary is only to get a one year extension at immigration. There is none to get a work permit.

• Thanks 1