Plot to kill UK PM Theresa May foiled: Sky News

webfact

Plot to kill British premier May foiled - Sky News

tag_reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May meets Spain's Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy at 10 Downing Street, London, December 5, 2017. REUTERS/Matt Dunham/Pool/File Photo

(Reuters) - The Metropolitan Police said on Tuesday that two men arrested last week had been charged with terrorism offenses and would appear in Westminster Magistrates' Court on Wednesday.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement that the men were arrested by its Counter Terrorism Command on Nov. 28. http://bit.ly/2jUab9g

It identified them as Naa’imur Zakariyah Rahman, 20, of north London, and Mohammed Aqib Imran, 21, of south-east Birmingham.

Sky News reported on Tuesday, citing sources, that police had foiled a plot to assassinate British Prime Minister Theresa May. The report said police believed there was a plan to launch an improvised explosive device at Downing Street and, in the chaos that ensued, attack and kill May.

Earlier on Tuesday, May's spokesman said Britain had thwarted nine plots in the last 12 months.

(Reporting by Sangameswaran S in Bengaluru; Editing by Toni Reinhold)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-06

Islamist suicide plot to assassinate Prime Minister Theresa May foiled

Two men will appear in court later today to face charges related to an alleged explosive plot on Downing Street.

A terror plot to assassinate Prime Minister Theresa May has been foiled, Sky sources have confirmed.

Sky's Crime Correspondent Martin Brunt said: "It's the latest in a number of terror plots that police and MI5 believe they've foiled this year.

"I understand that the head of MI5, Andrew Parker, briefed Cabinet ministers today, such is the seriousness of what they believed they have uncovered.

Full story: https://news.sky.com/story/terror-plot-to-assassinate-pm-may-foiled-11158388

-- sky NEWS 2017-12-06

I see the only response to the OP--3 Confused -- As someone who knows London a little I have to agree with that--- There is no Vehicle or foot traffic Traffic allowed in Downing street no tourist, no Viewing......for quite some years.... since the IRA

Unfortunately for tourists, 10 Downing Street is not open to the public.

As a matter of fact, you can't even walk up to the residence,

let alone walk down Downing Street.  --- London Viewing Tourist site

3 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I see the only response to the OP--3 Confused -- As someone who knows London a little I have to agree with that--- There is no Vehicle or foot traffic Traffic allowed in Downing street no tourist, no Viewing......for quite some years.... since the IRA

Unfortunately for tourists, 10 Downing Street is not open to the public.

As a matter of fact, you can't even walk up to the residence,

let alone walk down Downing Street.  --- London Viewing Tourist site

From the Sky story linked above:

"It is in essence an extreme Islamist suicide plot against Downing Street. Essentially police believe that the plan was to launch some sort of improvised explosive device at Downing Street and in the ensuing chaos attack and kill Theresa May, the Prime Minister.

Not a whole lot of details, but gives the impression that perhaps there were two parts to it - a diversion and an attack.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

"launch some sort of improvised explosive device"

Which is what the IRA did, using a homebuilt mortar and projectile, from 200yards (180m) away in Whitehall:

Downing Street mortar attack - Wikipedia.

And then gain access with/as 1st responders, or attack her "getaway" vehicle?

Some more detailed allegation from BBC News, thankfully indicates a really low IQ guy...

Naa'imur Zakariyah Rahman, 20, from north London, is accused of planning to bomb Downing Street security gates and then attack the PM with a knife.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-42242557

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

launch some sort of improvised explosive device"

Which is what the IRA did, using a homebuilt mortar and projectile, from 200yards (180m) away in Whitehall:

No that isn't possible Enoon---Westminster is surrounded by empty spaces (Thames embankment, Westminster Bridge etc) making it quite easy to stop a truck and fire something, Downing street is a very small (as in narrow)  a rocket would not be able to go up then down into it.

Anyway it seems they have realised that wasn't the plan (if it ever was-)-and issued a statement a short while ago laying out that the plan to attack her was as below--BBC and on-line newspapers

The security services believe they have stopped an Islamist suicide bomb plot to assassinate the Prime Minister.

Two Muslim men are suspected of conspiring to attack Downing Street armed with an improvised bomb, suicide vest and knives.

Investigators suspect the pair wanted to detonate a bomb disguised as a bag. They would then attempt to kill Theresa May armed with a suicide vest, pepper spray and knife in the aftermath 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5149425/Plot-blow-Theresa-foiled.html

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Some more detailed allegation from BBC News, thankfully indicates a really low IQ guy...

Naa'imur Zakariyah Rahman, 20, from north London, is accused of planning to bomb Downing Street security gates and then attack the PM with a knife.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-42242557

Yes, just read that.

If that really was the "plan" it sounds pretty desperate/hopeless and more like something passed back and forth online between a couple of internet fantasists.

56 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

No that isn't possible Enoon---Westminster is surrounded by empty spaces (Thames embankment, Westminster Bridge etc) making it quite easy to stop a truck and fire something, Downing street is a very small (as in narrow)  a rocket would not be able to go up then down into it.

Anyway it seems they have realised that wasn't the plan (if it ever was-)-and issued a statement a short while ago laying out that the plan to attack her was as below--BBC and on-line newspapers

The security services believe they have stopped an Islamist suicide bomb plot to assassinate the Prime Minister.

Two Muslim men are suspected of conspiring to attack Downing Street armed with an improvised bomb, suicide vest and knives.

Investigators suspect the pair wanted to detonate a bomb disguised as a bag. They would then attempt to kill Theresa May armed with a suicide vest, pepper spray and knife in the aftermath 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5149425/Plot-blow-Theresa-foiled.html

Not only is it possible, It was done......the IRA bombs landed in the garden of No10!

Did you not read the link?

Downing Street mortar attack - Wikipedia.

29 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Not only is it possible, It was done.

Enoon the street was open then..... as said before---- its no longer open even for foot traffic...Tourist would walk down take a photo of the policeman standing outside number 10---..

Did you not read my link.....its all closed off now after that attack---can not be done (That way ) now

8 hours ago, Enoon said:

Yes, just read that.

If that really was the "plan" it sounds pretty desperate/hopeless and more like something passed back and forth online between a couple of internet fantasists.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Did they have access to firearms? Did they have access to explosives? Or was this all some dreamed up fantasy? I'm more worried about the guys coming back, with the connections to do something serious, than these home grown fantasists.

Well done boys !!...should it be the MET, Special Branch, Mi5..or whoever....and this should serve as a lesson as to never fall asleep as plots and threats just cannot stop in today's troubled world.....

hopefully, similar efficient intelligence, is also deployed to protect the commoners and public space in general...

Edited by observer90210

15 hours ago, UnkleMoooose said:

Her and her lot invited them in, perhaps it should have been right that she reaped what she has sown. I'm hating MI5 a bit this morning.

Sorry to disillusion you, however it was the Labour government that opened the doors to unlimited immigration not the Tory party.

However, having said that, there are home-grown nutters (as i like to call them) in every society.  Just think of how many atrocities are caused in the U.S> by such nutters.  Also the attacks in London in 2007 (I think) on the tube and a bus were carried out by home-grown nutters.

Thankfully this plot was foiled otherwise the backlash implications would have been horrendous.

6 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Sorry to disillusion you, however it was the Labour government that opened the doors to unlimited immigration not the Tory party.

However, having said that, there are home-grown nutters (as i like to call them) in every society.  Just think of how many atrocities are caused in the U.S> by such nutters.  Also the attacks in London in 2007 (I think) on the tube and a bus were carried out by home-grown nutters.

Thankfully this plot was foiled otherwise the backlash implications would have been horrendous.

Re those 'home grown nutters' involved in the 2007 attacks, do you think you would have to delve more than one generation to find immigrants?

All muslims in the UK should be put on the list, as it is very clear they are not compatible with life in the west, and fail to integrate into mainstream society. Those which refuse to comply with values in the west, should be deported along with their families. UK desperately needs a Trump in the office of 10 downing street, he would sort these buggers out. 

22 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How come? Trump is more concerned with deporting illegal Mexicans who are likely to be Christian. Obviously you're just on a wind-up, but wind-ups are more effective if they are intelligent.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Incorrect, Trump is very aware of Muslims and their impact on society. Shame the UK doesn't share the same view, which is why in 2050 it will have approximately 14 million muslims in the country (almost 20% of the population) Better get ready for Sharia Law (which BTW is already alive and kicking). 

Incorrect, Trump is very aware of Muslims and their impact on society. Shame the UK doesn't share the same view, which is why in 2050 it will have approximately 14 million muslims in the country (almost 20% of the population) Better get ready for Sharia Law (which BTW is already alive and kicking). 

He has no policy to deport Muslims.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Her and her lot invited them in, perhaps it should have been right that she reaped what she has sown. I'm hating MI5 a bit this morning.

Hating the security services that protect ‘all’ UK citizens from the scum & vermin of society which is Islamic & other forms of terrorism not just the British PM.

As for inviting them in, it has been consecutive Government’s & Labour under Blair was the worst of all.

Well done MI5 & Police.

Bizarre analysis to hate those who wish to protect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, citybiker said:

Hating the security services that protect ‘all’ UK citizens from the scum & vermin of society which is Islamic & other forms of terrorism not just the British PM.

As for inviting them in, it has been consecutive Government’s & Labour under Blair was the worst of all.

Well done MI5 & Police.

Bizarre analysis to hate those who wish to protect.

So true. That is exactly why Britain is on this constant high alert for Islamic terror, which will keep escalating until their numbers are reduced. May has done nothing at all to prevent this terror.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10055613/Labour-sent-out-search-parties-for-immigrants-Lord-Mandelson-admits.html

So true. That is exactly why Britain is on this constant high alert for Islamic terror, which will keep escalating until their numbers are reduced. May has done nothing at all to prevent this terror.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10055613/Labour-sent-out-search-parties-for-immigrants-Lord-Mandelson-admits.html

I work within this field & immigration is only part of the problem.

Homegrown radicalisation
Insufficient border controls
Online prevention

The list goes on.