Two more Thai women arrested "trying to smuggle cocaine" in to Japan

webfact

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

No such thing as an "innocent drug mule" 

Who carries something on a flight for someone else for free without knowing what's in the package !!

Guilty as sin!

I've regularly asked my girlfriend to put some clothes in her bag or something like that, if they won't fit in mine.  Of course she doesn't inspect every item, they could be lined with cocaine for all she knows.

I've even seen Airasia staff encourage customers to split their belongings so that they don't go over the 7.5kg limit per bag, although that was on a domestic flight not international.

I think if a complete stranger asked you of course you would be cautious, but when a family member or somebody you think is your friend, or in this case possibly a tour guide, asks you, some gullible people will just say okay.  Especially Thais who don't like to say 'no' to anything.

Last September I was in line at Air Asia check in, flying to Siem Reap.  I only had a small bag  and a young, European backpacker type asked if I could help him out and take some of his things because he knew he was over the weight limit.  I asked if he was nuts and he got really offended and carried on about how insulting I was and that this was why there were so many wars and so on.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are naive people who are embarrassed to say no...I'm sure the drug shippers are pretty good at spotting them.

Vietnam executed a couple of Filippinas last year who swore on their dying breath that they were unaware they had drugs....sad to think they might have been telling the truth.

15 minutes ago, dddave said:

Last September I was in line at Air Asia check in, flying to Siem Reap.  I only had a small bag  and a young, European backpacker type asked if I could help him out and take some of his things because he knew he was over the weight limit.  I asked if he was nuts and he got really offended and carried on about how insulting I was and that this was why there were so many wars and so on.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are naive people who are embarrassed to say no...I'm sure the drug shippers are pretty good at spotting them.

Vietnam executed a couple of Filippinas last year who swore on their dying breath that they were unaware they had drugs....sad to think they might have been telling the truth.

Hi-5 ....... I like security when i fly. Like you I never carry other peoples bags in the plane....Only my wives huge bag with candy and chocolate

This is one of the several reasons why sooo many countries don't let Thais in without visas. Its quite ironic how the TVF famous Thai apologists somehow don't show up on this thread because they in no way, shape or form can try to. There is also silence from the whiners who are always saying " why can't my Thai girl friend come to England easily to visit me". Thais just recently got visa exempt from Japan and I bet many Japanese higher ups did not want this for increase in drugs, prostitution and also them not returning back to Thailand. This is a text book example of how some Thais screw it up for other Thais and the Japanese will soon revoke this privilege to them and any other country considering visa exempt for Thais will use Japan as an example for not trying it out. 

3 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Plenty of people in this thread saying they probably had no idea they had any cocaine in their bags.  Aren't they apologists?

"Though not confirmed, the suggestion was clearly that the two women were unsuspecting drug mules."   I hope you read the id of your "18 year old dates" better than you read the article

5 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

"Though not confirmed, the suggestion was clearly that the two women were unsuspecting drug mules."   I hope you read the id of your "18 year old dates" better than you read the article

Which is exactly what I am saying.  Who needs to read/what are you even talking about?

9 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

All I can say is lock them up and see what happens.

Oh they will definately be locked up - Japanese have zero tolerance for drug smugglers...........knowingly or unknowingly.  They know the Thai Women are experts at lying so they are guilty irregardless.

17 hours ago, djjamie said:

"Many" would be spot on. "Many" no doubt would believe it originated in South America. 

I would have thought there would be a better smuggling route into Japan than via a country like Thailand that has such harsh penalties for smuggling.

No penalties if they let you do it 

Legalize it and you cut out the gangsters and crooks, and the corrosive influence massive profits have on police, the military and justice itself...the "War on Drugs" is bureaucratic idiocy at it's finest, and it is destroying entire countries around the world. Tax and regulate, while not perfect, is better than what we have.

An experiment with this approach is going well in Portugal.

5 hours ago, mpyre said:

Legalize it and you cut out the gangsters and crooks, and the corrosive influence massive profits have on police, the military and justice itself...the "War on Drugs" is bureaucratic idiocy at it's finest, and it is destroying entire countries around the world. Tax and regulate, while not perfect, is better than what we have.

An experiment with this approach is going well in Portugal.

I agree on all points.

Without predators there is no prey.

And soon in Canada.

Edited by Nowisee

9 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

I agree on all points.

Without predators there is no prey.

And soon in Canada.

It's not like the drug laws are stopping anybody who wants drugs from getting them. 

My nephew teaches in an inner-city middle school; 12 to 16 year old's.  One day they were discussing drugs in class and he asked them "If I gave you 15 minutes to leave the school, find drugs, then return, how many think you could do it?"

Every kid raised their hand.

24 minutes ago, dddave said:

It's not like the drug laws are stopping anybody who wants drugs from getting them. 

My nephew teaches in an inner-city middle school; 12 to 16 year old's.  One day they were discussing drugs in class and he asked them "If I gave you 15 minutes to leave the school, find drugs, then return, how many think you could do it?"

Every kid raised their hand.

The drug laws "War on Drugs" have destroyed more people's lives, families and communities then the drugs themselves, not to mention the cost on the rest of us.  
People out of touch with this can argue all they want and take that hard headed stance, "lock em and throw away the key".   

Smart law makers, communities, agencies, governments and some countries are proving that it's not only not working, but they have had enough of doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Moving large quantities of drugs should be met with the same legal consequences and moving large quantities of cigarettes or alcohol.  

Take away the profit and you'll eliminate a lot of crime. 

Edited by Nowisee

On 07/12/2017 at 11:26 AM, chrisandsu said:

You wonder why the police are arresting Africans ? They certainly bring it in to the kingdom . They are probably behind moving it to japan .

I did not see any mention of Africans in the story.