Uncontested Divorce

Ozfatboy

My wife and I are planning to file an uncontested divorce at the local office. There is no property or assets involved here in Thailand (I do have so cash in an Australian Superannuation Account) so I think its pretty straight forward from that side.

What I am concerned about is, when we file the paperwork everything is in Thai and I will not have a clue what I am signing. Could she tell the officer I am going to pay here a monthly amount of money or write something crazy financially? Do I need a lawyer or someone to translate for me?

Any advice would be appreciated.

The answer is as obvious as the nose on your face.

Go to office, get copy of agreement to be signed, get it translated, read.

SHE can't add anything to the form agreement without your knowledge, and far as I know from my own experience, neither can anyone else. Far as I remember it's just a standard form and has a line to sign on and for witnesses.

You could ask for the translation to be attached, but I doubt it would have any legal standing unless notarised. Really just for your own peace of mind.

If still concerned take a trusted Thai along to listen in to the conversation and read anything added to the form, if something is added.

In any case, you should be going to the office where the divorce will take place to know exactly what that office requires as they can vary in the documentation needed. That's what I did- no problems on the day.

Do not mention the super fund, or any other assets, to the office staff. It's not relevant.

PS. I had exactly the same concerns as you do.

I don't know how you are getting on with her at the moment, but while mine was agreeable to me before, afterwards she changed completely. Became very uncooperative. Don't leave anything at all in her place to pick up afterwards as she may not allow you into the house.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

The form is very simple, If you can't read 'No' in Thai, and are too silly to see writing they add in beyond 'No' then you might have a problem.

No child custody, no division of joint assets, no payments (essentially no writing on the forms apart from your names and address, and signatures along with your 2 witnesses).

Hire a lawyer for an uncontested divorce, madness.

They will require someone who can translate English/Thai to be present, as each question has to be answered verbally by you, but that could be the Amphur boss or a friend of yours.

If you can say 'mai mee' you're good to go.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

20 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

The form is very simple, If you can't read 'No' in Thai, and are too silly to see writing they add in beyond 'No' then you might have a problem.

No child custody, no division of joint assets, no payments (essentially no writing on the forms apart from your names and address, and signatures along with your 2 witnesses).

Hire a lawyer for an uncontested divorce, madness.

They will require someone who can translate English/Thai to be present, as each question has to be answered verbally by you, but that could be the Amphur boss or a friend of yours.

If you can say 'mai mee' you're good to go.

There was no one known by her or me at the office during my divorce. They did speak enough English to get by, but I don't recall being asked anything other than to sign on the line. All I recollect is that it was very easy.

However, I had been to the office previously to find out exactly what documentation I needed.

could be the Amphur boss.

Not necessarily. Ours were the office staff.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 12/7/2017 at 10:27 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

There was no one known by her or me at the office during my divorce. They did speak enough English to get by, but I don't recall being asked anything other than to sign on the line. All I recollect is that it was very easy.

However, I had been to the office previously to find out exactly what documentation I needed.

could be the Amphur boss.

Not necessarily. Ours were the office staff.

"Ours", finished but never forgotten:smile: