Driving at night in Koh Samui

A 12 seconds clip of my Dashcam yesterday night in Lamai, a couple not too scared to walk on the roadside my DIL (Thai) told me "Chinese Dady" :smile:  

My wife was driving I reckon I was really scared, between the time one still cannot see them and the moment we overtook them not 4 seconds, driving at 45kmh 

I do not want to imagine at 80kmh!

Walking in the night.mp4

Invisible pedestrians frighten me too but we can expect a lot more during Christmas and NY.  

Any cyclists reading this should also note that low sun at the crest of Naton hill during this afternoons school run had exactly the same effect. I very nearly ran into the back of a pair riding side-by-side in the slow lane with no thought whatsoever as to the potential danger posed by the conditions or their own stupidity.

Tourists on motorbikes are even more scaring – some years ago a young tourist-looking couple on a big bike tried to to do a short cut in front of my car at the Bandon Hospital intersection, and skidded right in front of my hood; luckily I was almost stopped – now I know, so I drive extremely careful when I notice something that look like inexperienced tourists driving motorbike...:thumbsup:

This is from my car-cam the other day, December 1st, at the Ring Road in Maenam...:shock1:

Driving my motorcycle at night on Koh Samui and the arrival of hordes of tourists for the Christmas/New Year period; two things that I compare favourably with a colonoscopy. 

In a week or two I will be parking my bike for the entire day and night, the exception(s) being between 10:00 AM and 11:30 AM if/when I need to do a run to the supermarket. I choose 10:00-11:30 as it seems that the ones drinking all night have run out of steam and are crashed out, the ones starting drinking aren't too drunk to be a serious concern, yet. I truly hate that particular week or so on Koh Samui.

However, the thing that I hate most at night (and also during the day) are Chinese people on motorbikes. Now let me state for the record and with complete honesty; I very much like Chinese people. I very much like Chinese culture. I lived in China for a while and loved it. I very much like Chinese food. I especially like Chinese women for their beauty and charm. I am happy that Chinese people visit Koh Samui (mostly) as they are good for local business. I like Chinese people.

I hate Chinese people on a motorcycle. They get on a bike with minimal practice and seem to think that they know how to ride. They hug the left side of the road until they, for no discernible reason whatsoever, fly across traffic to the right-hand side. They video their bike trips, focusing more on their phones than the road and other drivers. They speed up for no reason and slow down at the most improbable spots. They seem to think that doing a U-Turn in the middle of traffic without looking is acceptable driving on the island. They ride in packs, blocking you from going around them (only a true madman would try to go through) and then slow down in direct proportion to how much of a hurry you are in. And, at any moment without logic or predictability, they will stop. Right. In. The. Middle. Of. The. Road.

Okay, I am glad that I got that off my chest. Apologies to Chinese people on the island; other than your driving of motorcycles, I am very happy you are here and enjoy your stay.

Archived