New MacBook Pro wifi problems

madmitch

I have just replaced my dying 2011 version with the 2017 MacBook Pro - the cheapest option/2.3GHz processor and 128GB hard drive.

I have discovered a problem with the USB-C ports in that when an adaptor/hub is connected, the wifi disconnects. Looking on the Mac Community boards it's a very common problem for which there are many solutions, or at least many suggested solutions, but none seem to suit my environment(s). So many people defend Apple to the extent that they can do no wrong and the the consumer should adapt! I bought a Momax hub at 1790 baht. Some say you should buy Apple hubs only but many also have the same problem with the Apple hub. Being in Thailand I like to plug the Mac into the big TV and watch online content. It doesn't work. 

I'm not a technical person so excuse my dreadful use of computer terminology but it appears that the antenna inside the MacBook has a problem with the 2.4GHz network when something's attached to the USB-C socket (though not the charger). 

Has anyone here had the same problems and does anyone know a reasonable solution? I will get to an Apple Service Centre next week to see what they suggest

I can't help you with the wireless problem but I was very surprised that a 2017 MacBook Pro only provides 128 GB of hard drive storage capacity. My 2011 MacBook Air has 128 GB. It still looks and works like new. The new phones are coming out with 256 GB of storage now.

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

I can't help you with the wireless problem but I was very surprised that a 2017 MacBook Pro only provides 128 GB of hard drive storage capacity. My 2011 MacBook Air has 128 GB. It still looks and works like new. The new phones are coming out with 256 GB of storage now.

I was a bit surprised but prices to get more than this start to become ridiculous. 

TBH without music, which I now store on an external hard drive, it's fine. Of course Apple want to sell more cloud storage. And it discourages me from downloading too much crap!

My old Mac has lost much of its functionality: it's become too slow, it needs its third trackpad, it's difficult to use for spreadsheets etc but it's still fine for downloading, streaming and storage (256GB) so I'm using it for that, which, with my problem with the new one, is a useful, albeit very expensive, combination.

Never heard of this problem - I have a Macbook with just the one usb-c port.

I use an Uptab dongle - power pass thru, hdmi, ethernet, 2x usb, sd card all-in-one job, and have never had any wifi issues with it.

https://www.amazon.com/UPTab-Multi-port-Delivery-Ethernet-Graphite/dp/B01LVTNIN4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1512804938&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=uptab+usbc+c&psc=1